Rustoleum Epoxy Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Rustoleum epoxy shield or rock solid extreme gloss floor coating work as a gravel guard on pick-up trucks?
I saw a granite kitchen counter finished with the garage floor stuff, it looked awesome, and it only cost $100.

Hard epoxy paints don't make good chip resistant coatings, if anything the harder the material the easier it is to chip when used on metal based items.
What you want is a impact resistant coating like chip guard, many manufacturers and a few different colors inc clear. It can be painted over, it softens the impact from rocks and gravel so the paint doesn't chip.
Napa has it black and white cheaper than most and it works as good as any. This should give you some idea.

http://www.goferauto.com/detail-chip-guard-aerosol-clear.html

That makes sense. The hard material may chip off, while the softer malleable gravel guard will dent instead of damaging the paint.
Thanks for taking the time & effort to post the link of products.

Some guys put box liner material on their trucks to make them chip resistant, but it looks industrial.
I'm looking for something clear & high gloss for a new vehicle that will not distract from its good looks.
I'll poke around on that link and see if there is something close to what I am looking for.

If you want to use a great bedliner then UPOL makes one called Raptor, also what about jsut using chip guard? SEM makes good ones.

Last edited:
Rustoleum bed liner? Is it clear or colour matched? The truck in question is a GMC 2017 Dark Slate Metallic.
I would like to colour match over top of the factory spray-on box liner, which is black. A shop can do that.

I'm wondering what to do behind the tires, sills and fenders in some sort of high gloss clear coat that I can apply
myself without it looking like a hatchet job.

I just thought of something else Trav, what happens in very cold weather with already brittle materials?
Think of the Titanic hitting an ice berg....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
I just thought of something else Trav, what happens in very cold weather with already brittle materials?

That coating in and of itself is not a problem in cold weather, it's problem is when something hits it. As Trav stated it will crack and chip because it is brittle, but cold and hot really shouldn't impact it. There are better choices for what the OP wants. Trav linked to them.

I have done cars with this stuff over 20 years ago and its still hanging in there undamaged on the few that are still around. I did the rocker panels, lower quarter and fenders on a new 95 Toyota for a friend of mine when it was new.
I also rustproofed the inner panels, his son still has the car and no rust issues or damage to the chip guard. It remains pliable in subzero and hot temps, its not easy to remove, it takes a heat gun and scraping.

What color is this vehicle?

I was referring to my epoxy shield likely being too brittle in cold weather, not your suggested products.

2006 Chev 3500 Black, she kept the house, he got the pick-up truck
2011 GMC 2500 Black
2013 GMC 1500 medium silver metallic
2017 GMC 1500 Dark Slate Metallic, I'm sitting on the order so we can take possession ASAP after the build date, likely in March, 2017

Unlike fine wine, nothing operational improves with age. Women or pick-up trucks.
Some of the 2016s on sale now are 16 months old from their build dates.

Back in the day, a Chev truck would rust out sitting on the show room floor if it was raining outside.

Last edited:

Unlike fine wine, nothing operational improves with age. Women or pick-up trucks
Some of the 2016s on sale now are 16 months old from their build dates.

Back in the day, a Chev truck would rust out sitting on the show room floor if it was raining outside.

That's the truth. Yes epoxy chips much easier in the cold it doesn't have much flexibility like base/clear. Year ago you needed to add a flex additive to paint when painting flexible parts but not anymore.
I would probably go with clear chip guard for its ease of application but a film might be another option like 3M or Xpel if you want to look into it.

http://www.xpel.com/bulk-paint-headlamp-protection-material/

https://www.amazon.com/Scotchgard-Clear-Paint-Protection-60-inches/dp/B0163G3WHC

Duplicolor recently released a clear bed protector product that should work perfectly for what you're asking. Not sure how it look when dry, but I'd imagine some texture. Supposed to be a shiny clear finish that doesn't hide the factory paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back