Rust prevention in Colorado?

A question for Colorado residents: My son and his wife recently moved to Denver. They each have late model Subarus. My son told me last night that he doesn't think rust prevention is a big deal there, and his wife, a long-time resident of Fort Collins, agreed. They don't think that a lot of salt is used on the roads. They both said that they don't see a lot of rusty cars there, but I wanted to check here with those who have had some experience in that part of the country. My son and I are from the Carolina piedmont where it snows a bit but not much.

Your daughter in law is correct.
Very little problem with rust in Colorado. In fact, the higher you go into the mountains, the less rust is an issue. I've left old American cars up in the mountains around 8-9k feet altitude for a decade or more with no visible rust buildup.
I'm really surprised that those TV shows that restore old cars don't come looking for them here in the mountains. :)

We do get some surface corrosion on suspension components due to the mag-chloride applied to the roads, but it isn't much of a problem.

Nope. Not a big deal here. We're such a dry climate (high desert) that we don't have corrosion issues like points east of us do.

I'd still have anything driven coated w lanolin based products if they are planning on keeping it. If buying a new one 3 to 5years let it be.

Salt is not used. Mag chloride is. Mag will flash rust bare steel in 2 seconds flat. If they remove paint from anything they should paint it before taking it out in mag.

Also, if you do a little web search you'll find mag and aluminum don't get along well in the long term. I'm wondering about the body of my JL in 15 years....

Biggest issue in CO is rock chips as opposed to corrosion. Better a cracked windshield than rusty rockers though.

Biggest issue in CO is rock chips as opposed to corrosion. Better a cracked windshield than rusty rockers though.
Even more so "when I was a boy" when they just sanded slick roads.

I'd prefer returning to sand over mag chloride

Back