Rust on rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a question. I bought a car from the auction with a blown engine and it has been sitting since late December of last year. The rotors have a pretty decent layer of rust on them as you would expect. I am in Minnesota so that doesn't help.

It is bad for the rotors and pad to just drive it and let them clean themselves off or should I take the wheels off and sand the rust off the rotors?

Thanks

Will it stop well?... Not at first
will it chew up the pads?... yes, but who cares
Will the pedal pulsate because the rotor didn't rust as quickly under the pads?.. certainly!!
Will it work in a pinch?.. Certainly

Try it, if its not too bad the pads will clean those rotors up

If the rotors are too far gone it wont stop worth a darn and you'll have your answer.

I would probably test them after you get the motor repaired/replaced, but I'd be doing a full rotor and pad change as well as flushing the brake fluid. I'd be having a good look at the calipers removing the rust with a wire brush and seeing if they can be reused (with being repainted if necessary).

Originally Posted By: JC1
I would probably test them after you get the motor repaired/replaced, but I'd be doing a full rotor and pad change as well as flushing the brake fluid. I'd be having a good look at the calipers removing the rust with a wire brush and seeing if they can be reused (with being repainted if necessary).

So because the rotors have some surface rust you would replace all 4 rotors, pads, brake fluid and possibly the calipers...?

Yeah, not doing that. I replaced the engine last weekend so I am going to drive it around this weekend and see what they do. If the rust doesn't come off very well I will sand the rust off.

I bought this car to fix and sell so while I will do what needs to be done I'm not going crazy.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: My advice is not professional, so don't sue.

If it were me, I'd spray the rotors down with some brake cleaner, let a sit a min and wipe it away.
Then take it for a ride slowly, because you will loose braking performance with the rust on there!

After that, just keep an eye on it. Expect some continued surface rust.

Like you said, they'll clean themselves, so they're most likely safe to use.

What you could do is lift the front of car on jack stands, and run the car a low speed, then hit the brakes and see if they clean themselves off. If they do, it's probably safe to drive on them. If not, you'll find it without driving it in traffic and risking a crash. And if you need to replace them, get the rotors with the black coating on them that deters rust
smile.gif

I would drive it for a few days and keep an eye on them.
I've had rusted rotors that cleaned up fine with a weeks worth of driving.
OTOH, I've had rusted rotors that didn't clean up and started flaking, no fixing them, turning them often doesnt work out once they start flaking, so replacement is the best option.

Pads make a difference too. Semi Metallics will clean the rust off much better than ceramic or organic pads. However semi-mets also rust and that could be a problem too. All you can do is try it and see under known controlled conditions.

Brakes are one place i don't take chances. We need a pic to really judge. Perhaps try it if you have a lightly traveled road with no traffic. Otherwise when in question, i replace brake components, not worth a wreck.

Really need to post a pic to get decent opinion.

Got about 40 miles on the car now and the rotors look good. The fronts are 100% back to normal and the rears are about 90% so far. No pulsing or vibrations.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
Got about 40 miles on the car now and the rotors look good. The fronts are 100% back to normal and the rears are about 90% so far. No pulsing or vibrations.

Thank for the update
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Tman220
Will it stop well?... Not at first
will it chew up the pads?... yes, but who cares
Will the pedal pulsate because the rotor didn't rust as quickly under the pads?.. certainly!!
Will it work in a pinch?.. Certainly

Try it, if its not too bad the pads will clean those rotors up

If the rotors are too far gone it wont stop worth a darn and you'll have your answer.

+1 I left my Equinox for a week while on vacation and had a very similar situation to this. Kept braking an it eventually worked out. If it continues after a day I would consider replacing the brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back