Rust-Oleum Driveway Sealer review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently resealed my driveway with Rust-Oleum Driveway Sealer and wanted to share my thoughts.

Rust-Oleum webpage

Pros
- Advertised 10 year warranty with one application. Other sealers that I saw needed two coats.
- Cleans up with soap and water. I literally could just wash my hands and it came off, even dry.
- Cost competitive. Menards has it for $44 for the equivalent of two 5 gallon pails of normal asphalt sealer, which is $27.50 each or $55 total. I used four pails, so that's $44 savings.
- Most people have the tools needed for this job. A paint brush, paint roller, roller pan, and roller extension is all that is needed. Asphalt sealers need a squeegee.
- Residue in my plastic cups dried to a thin film, making them reusable.
- Smelled like a dilute solution of latex paint, so it didn't give me any headaches applying it.
- Used recycled rubber tires, so at least they didn't end up in a landfill.
- Left a jet black finish.

Cons
- Took a long time to apply. Using a standard 9" roller for my driveway took days to do after work. I think it took 6 occasions after work to finish this.
- They recommend to apply in the shade. For my situation that meant only after 6 pm or so.
- Being that it's water based they recommended no forecasted rain for 48 hours. Depending on where you are located you can sit for a week and get nothing done.
- Not supposed to pour the sealer on the driveway and then spread. The constant loading of the roller to apply to the driveway can really slow you down, especially on a driveway that is overdue for a re-seal.
- Didn't fill in the small or big holes in the driveway all that well. Had to constantly push hard on the roller to squeeze excess sealer from the roller to fill in holes.

To sum it up I would use this again, but with at least a 12" roller or better yet a double 9" roller. Time will tell if it will hold up to the elements.

IMG_20180821_171537376.jpg

IMG_20180922_135149618_TOP.jpg

Looks like you did a nice, clean job especially around the edges. Report back to us in 10 years.

Could it not be sprayed? As if it could this would cut the time down to 1hr at most for your driveway. Did you check if it could be sprayed?

It could be sprayed, but I didn't want to buy a sprayer for something like this. Probably wouldn't use it again for a while and could be a bear to clean. Also the amount used would go way up due to drift.

Do you have a before picture? I don't know many asphalt driveways around here that aren't cracked and heaved.

Spraying works but most people would prefer not to spray it. Next time you do the job cut a bottle, like a Clorox bottle and leave the cap on. Scoop out the product and pour it on a section of the driveway and work it in with a small slightly damp push broom. Something like this or a bit narrower: PUSH BROOM

I like to mist sections of the driveway with the hose when applying a coating that cleans up with water.

It goes on a lot faster and covers much better than a roller. When you're done hose it out for the next day, if you're going to take a few days to do the project.

Good tips demarpaint. Instructions did say to mist ground if it was applied in direct sun.

The first picture is the before picture, below is the same thing from a different angle.

IMG_20180821_171621124~2.jpg

Originally Posted by SVTCobra
Good tips demarpaint. Instructions did say to mist ground if it was applied in direct sun.

You're welcome! I mist the ground sun or shade, it helps a lot. As does the broom.

Nice piece of property!!

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Spraying works but most people would prefer not to spray it. Next time you do the job cut a bottle, like a Clorox bottle and leave the cap on. Scoop out the product and pour it on a section of the driveway and work it in with a small slightly damp push broom. Something like this or a bit narrower: PUSH BROOM

I like to mist sections of the driveway with the hose when applying a coating that cleans up with water.

It goes on a lot faster and covers much better than a roller. When you're done hose it out for the next day, if you're going to take a few days to do the project.

Used for applying tar/roof coatings. Wood handles cost about $5.

7 inch acid brush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back