Rust Free Southwest Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might sound like a dunce here but.....

I was on Google street view in California and New Mexico (never have been there in person) and the cars really ARE spotless. Not perfect paint of course but I mean WOW from the Midwest any car guy would passout. I mean really, I saw some boring run-o-the mill 90's Camry and was like WOW. Amazing solid shape.

Is there a "catch"? Probably faded paint and interiors , but that's cosmetic. Is there ANYTHING that would make southwest cars more degraded by age (other than paint and interior) that would "level the playing field" as compared to a rustbelt car? Something I wouldn't think of such as notoriously fried transmissions... etc. which is above the standard wear out mileage for a given mild climate zone?

In summary could a guy make a small living going and getting some southwest daily drivers and bring them up North here to resell?

Or heck just going down there to buy a used car? is there a BEST southwest state to buy from?? Colorado versus New Mexico versus California etc.?

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
In summary could a guy make a small living going and getting some southwest daily drivers and bring them up North here to resell?

While the rust-free SW cars should in general be more desirable, I don't think the price premium that most people would be willing to pay would be large enough to cover the cost of cross-country transport plus profit to make a living.

Now, if it's just a used car for yourself, heck yes, I'd certainly consider it.

About the only downside I can think of is dry rot due to excessive heat. Rubbers and plastics on some cars don't handle it well, like some older BMWs with many plastic cooling system parts.

I'd think the heat and lack of humidity would accelerate rubber wear, so the hoses and belts would deserve a going over. Those can be inexpensive issues to fix, if caught in time. I guess transmissions could degrade their fluid faster, from the heat, if their cooling systems weren't adequate.

I do miss Arizona for that reason. The desert sun fades colors, and I've seen clearcoat peel.

In 2011, I bought a 1984 Chevy truck that came from Arizona. The factory paint was still on the spotless frame. That's something.

Buy a vehicle from Texas, Arizona, or California. Get a Carfax to make sure it spent its whole life in that state.

Originally Posted By: JJ717
I'd think the heat and lack of humidity would accelerate rubber wear, so the hoses and belts would deserve a going over.

I understand that in the SW tires degrade much faster than they do here in the North East.

You've got your idea in place. Now it's time for your business plan. Raise some cash and get started. I can work if you can make it work.

I drive a 31 year old car that I purchased new. It's a daily driver and I'll bet that no comparable example exists in the rust belt at least not one that's driven every day.

I have a friend that searches out certain European sports cars in the southwest and after whatever work is needed ships them to the UK and Europe. He does quite well but then again he has a lot of friends and contacts.

Let us know what your work out.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
It's a daily driver and I'll bet that no comparable example exists in the rust belt at least not one that's driven every day.

VERY true. They simply don't exist.

I'd HAVE to believe that $3,000 for a used car in the 'burbs here buys a lot less of a well conditioned solid vehicle than $3,000 in the southwest. I could be wrong... maybe prices for used cars there ARE more anyhow. Just thinking aloud.

Battery life is much shorter in the heat. I can't believe my mom's car in Iowa has an original 10 year old battery. We are lucky to get 3 years. Plus they tend to put smaller capacity batteries in warm climate vehicles. But batteries are not an overwhelming expense.

In rare cases, a few rubber hoses have turned to goo in the heat and humidity.

I've gone down near Chattanooga TN & southern NJ from central NY to get a Jeep from GSA auction in perfect shape with 15k miles almost half price of same vehicle here & a convertible. The Jersey car got totaled 6 months after bought it and pocketed over $5 grand. Unless I want a beater I almost always go south for used vehicles, a couple used cars guys I've seen on cars.com advertise as having southern cars. Saw a places named Florida fine cars, etc. You could do it if smart about it.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Battery life is much shorter in the heat. I can't believe my mom's car in Iowa has an original 10 year old battery. We are lucky to get 3 years. Plus they tend to put smaller capacity batteries in warm climate vehicles. But batteries are not an overwhelming expense.

In rare cases, a few rubber hoses have turned to goo in the heat and humidity.

You could be wrong about the battery. My 4Runner's original batter lasted 11 years in S. California.

There is a secret, though. You keep your batter clean and dry with Pledge Furniture Polish. After you stop laughing, give it a try. Then let me know.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
About the only downside I can think of is dry rot due to excessive heat. Rubbers and plastics on some cars don't handle it well, like some older BMWs with many plastic cooling system parts.

Yeah. The major downside is the dry rot of rubber and plastic, especially under the hood, of California vehicles.

After 8-10 years and more than 100k miles, many plastic parts under the hood is so bristle, such that it broke when you try to remove it to gain access to the part(s) you need to replace.

Believe it or not, 8-10 year old cars from Ontario are being shipped to the US, taking advantage of low canuck buck, so I guess money can be made moving cars around, even within the rust belt.
My uncle brought a lexus convertible up from the southern US a couple years ago and had trouble getting rid of it just to break even.

The NW is probably the most ideal place in the country for cars. Not a ton of sun, no road salt. Lots of classics around Seattle and Portland!

There is a guy near me that brings to NY pickups that look 30 or 40 years old. I assume he gets them from down south. While they may look super, they are missing many safety features that new cars have.

For example my 1969 Mach 1 Mustang had a drop in gas tank, that was very dangerous.

Helped a friend change a transmission on his 91 pathfinder last summer. He's from Airzona as is the Pathfinder.

I was AMAZED at how easy it was to work on that! We didn't use a drop of penetrating oil.

Yup cars are spotless here, paint fades and headlights yellow, dashes and tires crack, A/C is run 10 months out of the year. Seat warmers are used maybe for a month. All bolts come off effortlessly. Batteries die fast (usually within 3 years). I'd say it's still a huge advantage over any car from back east. Colorado cars rust too though.

This sort of thing really plays with my head.

The GF and I went to Southern Indiana last Fall. Anything south of Indianapolis seems more rust free than here. Lol. I was turning my head every other car admiring its condition. Bedford area had a 1970's Jeep FSJ for sale. No rust whatsoever.

While we were in Florida a few years ago, there was an old banged up S10 parkedat a construction site. It would have been rusty here, but man.. it was clean. Minus the dents. Lol.

Do you notice if the cars owned by snowbirds have no/less rust on them compared to the ones that stay in the north all year round?

Over time, heat kills transmissions.

I'd expect to get around 25-30% less life out of an automatic transmission from the southwest.

Fuel pumps are also suspect.

Go to a junkyard in CA and you will cry at what they throw away. It really is shameful, but I suppose it is a matter of economics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back