Rust countermeasures

Status
Not open for further replies.
My s10 spent most of its life in Utah before moving to Oregon with me. It was exposed to snowy, salty winters and as a result has frame rust. It isn't horrible, most of it looks to be surface rust with a little scale here and there, I hit it all over with a screw driver and no holes popped up. I went over it last summer with a wire wheel and some inexpensive paint since I have neither the place nor money to do a POR15 job. The paint has held up ok through this winter and there's only a couple spots I need to touch up, not bad for a $10 can of paint.
My questions.. the paint I used was flat black, now, I'm no paint expert but from what I understand gloss paint is harder and doesn't 'breathe' like flat paint does. Is that accurate or was the guy I heard it from just blowing smoke? If it is true, would slathering on a thick coat of gloss over the flat paint help out as far a sealing the frame goes?
Next question... I replaced my ball joints recently, and while I was at it, I noticed a couple spots of rust on the control arms. I had some wheel bearing grease in the garage so I cleaned the old grime off the arms and gave them a liberal covering of the stuff. I went for a drive to test my ball joint work and it was pouring rain. When I got back to the garage and checked the joints(and control arms) the were beading water off nicely. Would a good thick coating of grease help to stop rust and prevent new rust from starting?
Oregon doesn't salt roads but it does rain, I'm mostly just concerned about the existing rust progressing to the point of frame failure.

Do some searching, lots of discussions. For existing rust, if you dont plan ti sand it down and seal with something like por15 i would look at some type of oil coating like fluid film orr krown (or boeshield T9).

Originally Posted By: Reg# 43897
Expensive process?

No, and its pretty easy to do.

Sounds good
All the searching I've done on other forums has basically said things of doom and gloom unless a full body off sand blast and por15 coating of the frame is done. Fluid film it is!
Would it hurt any to do a touch up paint job on the frame before applying fluid film?

Might trap moisture in the rust. FWIW i used Amsoil HDMP on the sheet metal under my truck with nice results so far, plus it displaces moisture. Little to no creep though, so i did the hidden nooks and crannies with FF.

personally I have been using rust oleum rusty metal primer on light to heavily rusted surfaces for years with excellent results. You can then top coat it with any color.

Theres a product called "Extend" that comes in spray and cans that will kill rust and turn it black. I've had good luck with it on farm equipment. Another product that is cheap and effective in preventing further rust is plain old BLO (boiled linseed oil) you get at any Lowes or hardware. I had a motorcycle trailer with considerable rust and after descaling it all I could, I slathered on a lot of BLO. Takes a long while to dry but afterwards I painted it black. That critter sat out in the wx for years and held up extremely well.

What consistency does BLO have? I used some naval jelly on it past summer after I de-scaled it. Let it sit then painted a couple days later. So after the BLO dries the surface is paintable? No adhesion problems?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buck91
Might trap moisture in the rust. FWIW i used Amsoil HDMP on the sheet metal under my truck with nice results so far, plus it displaces moisture. Little to no creep though, so i did the hidden nooks and crannies with FF.

Id be concerned about using a waxy coating on any exposed surface. Id rather use something like an oily coating where it could be damaged or disturbed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back