Running out of Options

Hope you are all well and staying safe.

My lawnmower will start then it dies after about 10 seconds. I went through majority of the major "fix this" steps but no avail.

In terms of fixes I have replaced the air filter, replaced the spark plug, added fresh 91 ethanol free gas, cleaned the carb by dismantling it from the engine and I have even change the carburetor diaphragm gasket as well. I have no idea what else I can do.

Here's the funny thing, I will start it, it will die, but after it does this three times, the fourth or fifth time the mower will start right up and do the job for the lawn. Could it be a fuel cap issue? I have exhausted my options, I mean the thing is 12 years old but then again I know mowers that have been around longer and get the job done. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Need more info on engine/priming/choke system. Sounds lean to me. Warms up a little and needs less gas to keep running.

Sounds like fueling to me and you're on track with the fuel cap ...make sure the vent is not clogged loosen the cap and test run. Does the engine have any safety cutoffs like low oil? the sensor or connections could be sketchy.

Choke or primer bulb issue, would be my guess. My 26 year old Tecumseh engine mower with primer bulb does the same thing as yours. I just expect it and go through the three starts until it runs good without stalling. I use this mower for the weeds in the back lane, so only have to start it a few times a year.

Can you keep it running with the choke or primer bulb, or manually choking by putting your hand over the intake for a second (with air cleaner removed)?

This is almost always a fuel problem, but the spark plug and coil can rarely do strange things.

As above, please tell us more about your machine.

While it's running; does it surge or sputter and miss while going about your work?

Any strange fuel or strong exhaust smells?

Is this a small mower or a fat, full on v- twin tractor?

Etc...etc...etc...

Big brains need clue fuel and love to help. ^.^

Hope you are all well and staying safe.

My lawnmower will start then it dies after about 10 seconds. I went through majority of the major "fix this" steps but no avail.

In terms of fixes I have replaced the air filter, replaced the spark plug, added fresh 91 ethanol free gas, cleaned the carb by dismantling it from the engine and I have even change the carburetor diaphragm gasket as well. I have no idea what else I can do.

Here's the funny thing, I will start it, it will die, but after it does this three times, the fourth or fifth time the mower will start right up and do the job for the lawn. Could it be a fuel cap issue? I have exhausted my options, I mean the thing is 12 years old but then again I know mowers that have been around longer and get the job done. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Have you changed the fuel filter?

Hello everyone.

Thank you for all of your replies and assistance. Been super busy with my nephew and neice this week, but, I have solved the issue. It was, as someone stated, the primer bulb and a gasket/o ring for the part that connects the carb to the engine.

after changing those parts voila. Magic. Also changed the pulley string just in case it was cheap after all. Cheers!

Hello everyone.

Thank you for all of your replies and assistance. Been super busy with my nephew and neice this week, but, I have solved the issue. It was, as someone stated, the primer bulb and a gasket/o ring for the part that connects the carb to the engine.

after changing those parts voila. Magic. Also changed the pulley string just in case it was cheap after all. Cheers!
Good for you, man.

Good for you, man.
Thanks brotha. I usually reply on time with these things and hate keeping people in the loop of silence. I mean you guys are putting your time into asking what’s wrong and then wait for a response. Great community here on this forum compared to the many other online forums I’m present on.
Once again, thank you everyone for your contributions and I apologize for the delay in my responses due to baby sitting duties and home Renos.

Back