Status
Not open for further replies.
Specs are
0w20
0w20
5w20
5w30
15w40 x 15 TBN

Currently not interested in a single oil solution … maybe post warranty …

Of course, if during warranty and/or not wanting to deviate from specs, it does make it a bit difficult. 5w-20 (or 0w-20) can be fairly easily consolidated, but that's another matter. Now, if GM had just stuck with dexos1 being a 5w-30 (or a 0w-30 in Arctic conditions, as they word it), we'd be even more set.
wink.gif

In just some of his trucks? How so, and not all of them? I'm not looking for an example, but a definition of what an extended drain is.

Yes, if you wanted a single oil it would be 5w30 … I have been running the lone 5w30 on 0w40 … but it's at 110k and 40 is normal in that 1.4T in other countries …
The Hybrid (also past the century mark and 5w20) is the only pain to change so bought my first M1AP on sale for that …(was on OLM, going up a bit) …
60k should a be fine time for the 5.3L's to change (warranty)… and just read Clinebarger indicated the AFM hardware did not change with the 0w20 changes (some had mentioned effects on AFM hydraulics) …

Originally Posted by userfriendly
In just some of his trucks? How so, and not all of them? I'm not looking for an example, but a definition of what an extended drain is.

Actually, as far as I know, all of them. As for a definition of extended drain, I'd suggest a rigorous definition of extended drain would be a run of the sump contents until condemned by analysis.

This is a blanket statement so look up the numbers but as mentioned and I will again add the 5w-40s are thinner at their 100c rating after use than a 15w-40. The wife had a 7.3 F250 to tow her and the daughters horsie trailer around and I have did some uoas years ago, I gave them to the new owner of the vehicle and they were as identical as a uoa between Delo 400 and Mobil 1300 and shell RT6 as one could imagine. A 5W-40 would be a better fit for your fleet than a 15W-40.

Because to live in BC, you have to be able to afford Red Line like it's Supertech in a pail.
wink.gif
Aside from that, in some cases, the specifications required are not necessarily there with the 0w-XX lube.

Last edited:
BC stands for "bring cash". BTW, I can make my own Red Line, Royal purple, Amsoil etc by adding a few ounces of JTO and a can of STP to a pail of Canadian Tire (Safety Kleen) mono-grade.

Originally Posted by Garak
You should tell that to some of the Red Line fanatics here. You might create a few heart attacks.

You got that right!

All the OP's vehicles have more than 120K. Most, more than 180K. So the rod bearings have opened up some. They have room for an xW-40 and will live a long time on that. I'd be a one oil person as soon as I could. Taking care of all that with multiple oils is crazy. T6 fits the task, so if that's what they want - go for it.

If they can handle 5 gallon pails (?), I'd go TDT with the rebate if they can get that. It's a slightly better oil (a bit more shear stable). But whatever ...

Out here, it's prolly easier to get a consistently better price from the Chevron jobber if not shopping WM ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back