Rumor - Possible Windows 11 Coming Soon

I recently acquired a W7 box, which I upgraded to W10; my USB speakers that are P'n'P on linux don't work on Windows... That's the problem with Windows, you spend time hunting around for drivers..... and trying to get stuff to work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Was that article written by a 5 year old?

Top of article says: "Published:Tue, June 16, 2020 5:16pm "

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by daves87rs
I thought it was dead....windows 11 was for businesses and such......

That's similar to what I read. Windows 11 is for business machines.

But..... Zee0Six has NEVER lied to me before.....
lol.gif

I didn't see any mention of "business use only" in the article. But I did see this, which I missed the first time.

"The chances of Windows 11 launching anytime soon are close to zero. The company has regularly pointed out that it will offer latest feature updates on Windows 10 without having to change the version. This has become possible by designing the software into tiles which can be updated to keep them secure. "

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

What does the age of the author have to do with its date of publish???

Originally Posted by gathermewool

LoL, I thought he said was it written 5 years ago.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

LoL, I thought he said was it written 5 years ago.

I figured and was glad I could jump in there quickly with a poke before you realized!
banana2.gif

Win10 has largely been a hit or miss for me. A client of mine had a bunch of HP Elitedesk 800s (G1 I think) that came up with a BSOD because of a keyboard driver after one of the feature updates in 2018. Last year they released an update that borked the start menu and made it take AGES to do anything - like it took 2 minutes for the command prompt to open. Now it's realtek sound drivers in newer Lenovos.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Originally Posted by CT8
An improved XP would be the better choice.

Exactly

I'm not impressed with Windows currently, so that's why I have no interest in abandoning Linux Mint until further notice.

Its why I pulled the plug on Windows as well and after decades of using Windows, all the way back to Win 95 I have now moved completely over to Apple home desktop and phone.
With that said, I do give credit to those who moved to Linux, its just a bit over my head and never tried it, yet. Just not on the top of my list to spend the time on it BUT maybe, when I actually do want to allocate the time, I will try it out on any number of older but very respectable desktops I have sitting near me.
I need to get all the family photos off them before getting rid of them.

This thread was on my mind when I wife turned and asked me if she should click to update Windows while sitting in our home office.

Windows prompted her to update. I assumed but didnt really look at her screen that it was to upgrade to Win 11.
Now I am not sure but will check her computer later, as I do see Windows is allowing downloads/updates to Win 11 according to their site. So I guess it is here

https://windows11updat.com

My wife, pretty smart, knows not to download any update too soon and why she asked, many times your asking for trouble :eek:)

Last edited:
The Linux recommendations are interesting. Yet, I can't seem to find new Linux-built desktops or laptops. Never seen any Mint Browser advertisements either.
Microsoft is really ticking me-off lately. They rule over my Windows 10 Free equipment with an iron fist. We have no say in most changes being made.

We need a protest march - I tell ya''

Originally Posted by alarmguy
This thread was on my mind when I wife turned and asked me if she should click to update Windows while sitting in our home office.

Windows prompted her to update. I assumed but didnt really look at her screen that it was to upgrade to Win 11.
Now I am not sure but will check her computer later, as I do see Windows is allowing downloads/updates to Win 11 according to their site. So I guess it is here

My wife, pretty smart, knows not to download any update too soon and why she asked, many times your asking for trouble :eek:)

Be very careful with this site, I don't believe it is from Microsoft. It appears to be written by someone whose native language is not English.

Microsoft said in 2015 there would never be a Windows 11, Windows 10 would be the last version. From that point forward 10 would be updated. Microsoft may drop the 10 and just call their operating system "Windows"

The latest update from MS is to Windows 10 version 2004. It also forces the "new" chromium-based Edge browser.

Last edited:
Well, after 20 years of "OS 10"(branded originally as OS X, roman numeral 10, and all versions carrying the designation 10.something), Apple has just moved to OS 11, so it's not totally abnormal.

Of course, a few years back Apple dropped OS X and went to macOS, but kept the 10.x version numbering.

At least in the early betas too, there's some weird reporting with regard to version numbers. Apple's own software update/download utility calls it 10.16, although once booted it reports as 11.0. When I signed into my Firefox Sync Account, I had an email reporting a new sign in from "Mac OS X 10.0", which of course is an ancient(and terrible) OS.

At the same time, I too had understood that Win10 with recurring updates was supposed to be the "last" version of Windows.

Last edited:

That site is about as legit as a 3 dollar bill. Seriously?

There is no windows 11 coming, they will keep patching windows 10, and pushing software as a service offerings.

The latest build of windows 10 is 2004 I believe.

I still use Excel on a headless NUC running Win7 via remote desktop from my iMac. That, for the last two years has been my only exposure to Windows and I'm glad of that.

Back