Rubber Door Seal Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the rubber seals around doors, trunks, etc., need any type of lubrication? We live in Arizona, so freezing isn't a factor like it was in Wisconsin. Doors would freeze quite often.

I use Shin Estsu grease. I apply a thin coat on the rubber seals. It works very well.

I'm in Phoenix and I use Meguiar's Natural Shine on seals every 6 months or so to keep them flexible. Never had any problem with them drying out or cracking.

In summer I clean them with Armor All. Then in late fall before the freezing temps. I wipe them with a cloth soaked with Silicone spray.

Last edited:
Apply Sil-Glyde once or twice a year. There is an aerosol silicone grease made for electrical equipment that is great for this application but it is expensive. I think Menards carries it. Seems like the last time I looked, this product was about $15.00 so it's not cheap. Somewhat easier to use than Sil-Glyde.

I'd hesitate to use shaving cream (alcohol) or Armor-All (silicone, which breaks down plastics, etc).

The leather conditioner might be a good choice.

Silicone paste works good.

41MeJEKQZmL._SX425_.jpg

I would think that cleaning it with a towel after a car wash would be enough, and more than most people do.

With that said, I used a thin wipe of dieletric grease until I got some 3M silicone paste. Then I recently bought a tube of the Shin Etsu juice and have been using that. I bet Aerospace 303 would work even better in an Arizona climate with the sun protection.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Apply Sil-Glyde once or twice a year. There is an aerosol silicone grease made for electrical equipment that is great for this application but it is expensive. I think Menards carries it. Seems like the last time I looked, this product was about $15.00 so it's not cheap. Somewhat easier to use than Sil-Glyde.

This.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Another vote for Shin Estsu, you can get it on amazon or at a honda dealer.

+3 along with the 3M silicone grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back