Rubbed sidewall and got goosed ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done this more times than I care to admit. I called DT to order the replacement, since they don't carry the Cooper CS5 Ultras at stores in my area. On the plus side, its at 4/32 remaining tread. Moved to a new place with curb side parking but this is embarrassing still. Any tips for passenger side space awareness challenged people like me?
33.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
This will date you. The youngins won't know what they are.
$(KGrHqUOKiEE6(PTc7uZBOw+,oe1d!~~60_58.JPG

Haha I remember those!!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
just hammer it back in
laugh.gif

Alright, so this is where I use one of those chisels right? Just to shave away some of that excess rubber?
43.gif

All you can do, short of curb feelers, is practice with reference points on the car aligned with the curb extending out before you. Practicing with a "spotter" outside your car and referencing points when they tell you "you're good" can help. If you have electric mirrors, pointing the curb side down and viewing the rear tire distance from the curb can provide some amount of reference to the front if you are relatively straight.

You can have a beeper system installed to let you know when you are close. I just put one on my SlingShot because the front is so low; now I don't hit the concrete stops.

Yep. Low profile, no sidewall tires have little resilience to curb hits. Those curb feelers of 50-60yrs ago were more to protect those awesome white-walls rather than prevent a curb hit blowout.

The OP needs to get himself a vehicle with bigger, spongier tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK

The OP has 195/55Rwhatever.

Not exactly low-pros.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: JTK

The OP has 195/55Rwhatever.

Not exactly low-pros.

Radically low profile compared with even twenty years ago...

I dislike the trend. Sportier... better handling...more stylish...

And more susceptible to curb damage and pothole damage...and they often take the wheel with them when that damage happens...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back