Suburban Suspension Parts - Choppy Tire Wear and More

2004 Suburban 1500 RWD 170,000 miles
It's time to replace my tires. I got the Michelin Defender LTX M/S and got 80,000 reliable miles out of them in 3+ years. For that I am happy to get another set. I could have got another 10k easily if not for the unusual wear.
The issue is that shortly after putting them on, I noticed some choppy tire wear on the inside of the front tires. I replaced the front shocks and put those tires to the rear. The front tires still chopped on inside a little. Back rear tires have about 5/32 still, but the passenger rear has a flat spot with all tread worn (About 1/8 of the diameter of the tire). Replaced rear shocks a few years ago with AC Delco self leveling shocks. The front drivers side had a bubble now on the inside tread and some choppy wear on the outside as well. There does not seem to be any consistency to the wear patterns.
Terribly unusual and inconsistent tire wear.
Checking out the front suspension, I do not see anything that has obvious play. The bearings don't show any play and the ball joints, tie rods and pitman arm and idler arm are not showing anything obvious, other than the boots are bad on the tie rod where it meets the center link. It is a little hard to check those joints, since when I raise it off the ground, the steering moves, it is not locking, but regardless, nothing clunking or noticeably loose.
I would like to get an alignment this time after new tires, but feel like I should at least replace the tie rods and ends.
What brand is a good choice?
OE is crazy expensive, Delco is reasonable, about 1/2 the price and others in the same price range. I am scared of the super cheap stuff.
Any other parts I should replace, even if no obvious wear, or any other tips for inspection?
There has always been a clunk noise and a little hop every rotation on sharp turns and backing out of parking spots, especially when wet.

Take a 21mm wrench & see if any of the 4 adjusters at the Upper Control Arms move.......Mechanics & Alignment Techs love to leave those loose!

I rarely have to replace Tie Rods on GMT800's.....Everything else might be past worn out ;)

The Torsion Bar crossmember can make some popping noises if the Bushings are worn out.

Take a 21mm wrench & see if any of the 4 adjusters at the Upper Control Arms move.......Mechanics & Alignment Techs love to leave those loose!

I rarely have to replace Tie Rods on GMT800's.....Everything else might be past worn out ;)

The Torsion Bar crossmember can make some popping noises if the Bushings are worn out.
This was my thought. I had a torsion bar mount rusted and broken fairly recently on my truck. Got things sorted out and things seem to be wearing well now.

Back