RT43 at 40k

Howdy. I'm not sure what to make of these tires. I have an old Accord that I put new Altimax RT43 on when the car was at about 30k miles. Now at almost 70k on the odo, the tread is still really good but the cracking that I see is concerning. Should I be? The date code looks to be 5117 so they're just over 5 years old. All 4 tires have the same kind of cracking on the sidewall. Are these things junk at this point or is this cosmetic? Thanks!

rt43.jpg

Thanks for the PICTURES . Have to check our 43s' . Used them since their release and never noticed that .
Yeah, I peek at other cars that I've seen with them on and I haven't noticed this either.

Thanks for the PICTURES . Have to check our 43s' . Used them since their release and never noticed that .
Pictures are always helpful!
I think the major crack is the junction between rubber compounds. It's in the right area and I don't like it.

Personally, I'd be planning to replace the tires soon. If you decide to wait, keep a close eye on them!
Thanks. I am watching for sales currently. Thinking about the Avid GT next and I'm def watching them!

The fact that the cracking is sort of in a line all the way around on both the main part of the tire and the tread part would concern me a little. If you do mostly driving around town I’d let it be for the foreseeable future but if you do a ton of high speed highway driving I’d personally want to replace those tires sooner than later. Then again I am not a tire expert. Just some random guy on a forum with an opinion.

The fact that the cracking is sort of in a line all the way around on both the main part of the tire and the tread part would concern me a little. If you do mostly driving around town I’d let it be for the foreseeable future but if you do a ton of high speed highway driving I’d personally want to replace those tires sooner than later. Then again I am not a tire expert. Just some random guy on a forum with an opinion.
I appreciate the opinion and I agree with you. For the most part, the car is not on the highway.

I appreciate the opinion and I agree with you. For the most part, the car is not on the highway.
In that case leave it be. Just make sure your spare tire, jack, and lug wrench are all in working condition so you aren’t stranded should a tire decide to start leaking or something :)

Those big cracks where the sidewall and tread meet are concerning to me. I would replace them unless you drive locally at low speeds.

Those big cracks where the sidewall and tread meet are concerning to me. I would replace them unless you drive locally at low speeds.
Thanks. I agree and I do. Its a grocery-getter but I'm going to replace them now that I'm pretty sure it isn't just cosmetic. Its a shame the tread wore very well on this tire but i guess 5 years is the limit!

Back