RP, PYB, Penn Dexos, or Kendall in 4.0 Tacoma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The truck will get 5k oil change intervals and specs 5W-30. Of the three oils listed, which would you guys go for? I like the info and reports on the Kendall GT1 semi syn and I can get it at my local O'Reilley. PYB has good amounts of moly and may keep the 1GR-FE quieter than the others. I have used RP API SN in my fathers Tacoma and he swears it is quieter and smoother. Also, what about the Pennzoil Dexos blend? I wonder if it has as much moly as the PYB? I will do some towing during the hot summer months with this truck. TIA for your thoughts.

Thanks for the opinions. So Kendall over RP even if I can get the RP for close to the same price?

Originally Posted By: matts11
Thanks for the opinions. So Kendall over RP even if I can get the RP for close to the same price?

RP is a great oil but at 5K oci using that oil would be a "waste".

Agree with aquariuscm. But, PYB tends to be the cheapest readily available of the three, and for such a short OCI, if price were an issue, I'd go with the PYB. Aside from that, there's certainly nothing wrong with any of those choices.

If it were me, RP is too expensive for the short interval and Kendall is about as easy to find as PU up here (in other words, it can't readily be done), so I'd choose the PYB. But, I'd be happy with any of those in my sump.

Originally Posted By: matts11
The truck will get 5k oil change intervals and specs 5W-30. Of the three oils listed, which would you guys go for? I like the info and reports on the Kendall GT1 semi syn and I can get it at my local O'Reilley. PYB has good amounts of moly and may keep the 1GR-FE quieter than the others. I have used RP API SN in my fathers Tacoma and he swears it is quieter and smoother. Also, what about the Pennzoil Dexos blend? I wonder if it has as much moly as the PYB? I will do some towing during the hot summer months with this truck. TIA for your thoughts.

Of the oils you list I personally would run them in this order...

1 - RP
2 - Kendall
3 - PYB

No idea about the Pennzoil Dexos stuff?

Just an FYI. If you run into that 4.0L being noisey under load( sounds like the top end is starved for oil )try a different oil filter. I had an 05 Tacoma w/ the 4.0L and it was a common issue at least back in 05/06 when I had the truck. The 4.0L was very picky it seemed about what filter you used or you got a lot of valvetrain like clatter. On my 4.0L a Mobil 1 oil filter solved the issue. The OE filter and a Purolator( as I recall - long time ago but I always use quality parts - no Fram or cheap filters like STP )had it rapping pretty good.

Last edited:
I would try the Kendall, then PYB to see which was the quietest. both are amazing for the price... I really like Kendall Full syn+ti, but its about $.75 per qt more.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
I thought PYB was groupII+, that's what I would choose.

Most of the time it is group II+ unless group II+ are not available and then Pennzoil will use group III basestocks. For such an easy OCI I would recommend PYB. If my goal was a 5K OCI I would easy the one that left the most $$$ in my wallet.

PYB
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back