RP Purple Ice or Amsoil Dominator Coolant...best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wanting to add a coolant additive to my 2003 Honda Odyssey. Which is best Royal Purple's Purple Ice or Amsoil's Dominator Coolant Boost? Both can be added to anti-freeze/water mix unline Redline's Water Wetter. Anyone know which might be best...I know there are no head-tohead studies but anyone with technical knowledge might lead me in the right direction.

Second question - related to the above first question. If my ATF is cooled by my the engine coolant radiator - if I lower the temp of the engine coolant it should in theory lower the temp slightly of the ATF fluid is this correct?

Thank you all for your help and insight.

Another to consider is Motul MoCool.

Why do you really think you need this stuff? Are you having overheating problems? If so, I would really tell you to address the root problem rather than just band-aiding it.

I run MoCool merely because my car sees track time.

What gives you the idea that Red Line's Water Wetter can't be run with anti-freeze? I use it with a 50/50 mix in all my cars, including mine, my wifes, father in law's, daughter's, her boyfriend and also my best friend's car with awesome success. I plan on switching my car to a 20/80 mix (80 being water, 20 anti-freeze) with Water Wetter.

I can tell you this, for a fact, my Mazdaspeed 3's temperature went down 15 degrees across the board at all times. It works. And that's just with a 50/50 mix. It does even better on a 20/80 mix.

Anyhow, straight from Red Line's own web page...

"Compatible with new or used antifreeze (including DEX-COOL and long-life versions) to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems"

One last thing. Water Wetter costs a lot less. It was on sale all last month at O'Reilly's for $7.99 compared to the Purple Ice which is twice that and I very seriously doubt it could do much, if any, better. My friend was skeptical until he seen what it did in my car. It's straight up exactly 15 degrees cooler at ALL times in my car on a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze, water and 1 bottle of Water Wetter. People can think snake oil all they want, but it really does work. Seems odd to me that it can do that, but it really does it.

p.s. to the poster above. Nobody says you "need" it. It's not bandaid'ing any problem. There isn't a problem. It just does what it's supposed to do, run your car cooler. Which is awesome in this crazy heat when racing or tracking your car.

p.p.s. to the OP question. I doubt any of them have any kind of significant advantage over the others. They all seem to do about the same, if you go by their own brochures. So just use the cheapest one you can get. I haven't heard anything bad about any of them.

Last edited:
I have no overheating problems...I wanted to use it based on this possible theory which I mentioned above:

"Second question - related to the above first question. If my ATF is cooled by my the engine coolant radiator - if I lower the temp of the engine coolant it should in theory lower the temp slightly of the ATF fluid is this correct?"

For some reason 2nd generation Odyssey owners feel life this may help to a small degree in lowering the ATF temp because the ATF cooling is somehow based on the radiator. Not that technical when it comes to vehicles so this is the best I could explain it.

i had no idea that Water Wetter by Redline could be used in conjunction with anti-freeze...someone told me (obviously they were wrong) that it could only be used with straight water.

So I guess I now need to weigh the three products.

Running the motor cooler isn't necessarily optimal. The car was engineered to run at a certain operating temperature. Running it lower might have unintended consequences.

But yes, these products work fine with anti-freeze. I've been using MoCool with Volkswagen G12 just fine. I used to run Water Wetter in my S2000 without issues too.

Quote:
For some reason 2nd generation Odyssey owners feel life this may help to a small degree in lowering the ATF temp because the ATF cooling is somehow based on the radiator.

Have an ATF cooler installed.

I keep reading at various sites that these products do not have as great of an effect as the coolant/water mix approaches 50/50. Motul's MoCool actually says it should be mixed with water at 20:1.

I think Royal Purple Purple Ice says to do a 20/80 mix so it can keep the water from freezing during the winter months. A straight mix of water with one bottle of one of these is the absolute optimal in terms of pure cooling, but the anti-freeze comes into play in the winter time. If you'd be willing to switch out to a mix during the winter, then yeah, straight water with WW, PI, DCB's or Motuls would yield the most impressive results. Just do NOT forget to add in at least 20% glycol during colder months to keep from freezing as that could have catastrophic results!

IMO, it's best to play it safe and do the 20/80 mix on your first maintenance interval (usually once every 2 years). Initially, no reason to waste good anti-freeze, just add one bottle to your system and go. When your 2 years is up, switch to the 20/80 mix and 1 bottle.

Most people just add a bottle in to their already 50/50 mix, as it's the easiest. It's what I did. Then wait the 2 years for the time for maintenance and do the 20/80 mix along with adding 1 bottle.

Price wise, Water Wetter, I believe, is the cheapest and I honestly doubt any of the others could give any significant advantage. And I disagree with the poster above about a car needing to run a certain temperature to be optimal. Heat is something every car battles against. Anything that can swing it a little bit in your favor is a nice bonus, especially during these blazing summers and most especially when you are doing some racing of some sort.

And yes, dparm, you are correct. The coolant additive become less and less effective the more glycol you add. But at 50/50 it still works well. As I said, I have a 15 degree drop across the board on a 50/50 mix. When I switch to 20/80 I fully expect even better results. And pure water with the coolant additive gives the absolute best results, but as I mentioned earlier, you're playing with fire (pun'ish) so to speak. If you go that route, you better be darn sure you remember to add glycol before it gets below freezing! No way would I take that chance myself.

To the OP main questions, yes, I would think this would also in some way help cool the tranny fluid, it just makes logical sense, since the surrounding fluid adjacent to your tranny cooler just below your coolant would be cooler, this could have some effect as to the temperature of the ATF passing nearby. I don't know HOW much, probably not a whole lot, but it should help at least a little, and therefore you would be gaining two benefits. At least that's how my logical brain reasons it. Though I suppose I could be wrong, as I often am. lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shpankey
One last thing. Water Wetter costs a lot less.

The only place (somewhat) close by that can even get any Motul products at all sells the Mo Cool for at least twice the full retail cost of RL Watter Wetter (maybe even MORE now!).

I have no idea if it is better than the myriad other similar products out there, let alone twice as good (as some of their oils are, justifying their exorbibtant prices).
wink.gif

I doubt it. You can't beat Water Wetter for $7.99 though (which is what I paid). It's on sale a lot, so look for it in the parts store's circular's. I just dumped 1 bottle in my new Mazdaspeed 3, which still had factory coolant in it, and seen an immediate drop in temperature. It is exactly 15 degrees cooler now, at all times. Weird how awesome this stuff works. And for that price and those results, after I seen it, I bought a bunch of it and put it in all my cars and my friend did all of his cars. We are true believers now.

Last edited:
I've run WW in my factory filled Dexcool for several years. No issues to report for me. It dropped the overall operating temp by a few degrees, but not too much (no more than 5).

Mine is dead on 15 degrees perfectly. Don't know how or why, but it was a perfect 15 degree drop. I imagine it works better/worse on certain cars and depending on the types and amounts of glycol in each system, and also the overall total amount the cooling system can hold.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Mine is dead on 15 degrees perfectly. Don't know how or why, but it was a perfect 15 degree drop. I imagine it works better/worse on certain cars and depending on the types and amounts of glycol in each system, and also the overall total amount the cooling system can hold.

15 degrees measured how and where?

It seems to me that if your car lost 15F under normal operating conditions that your thermostat must be messed up. I would expect WW to help in situations where there is not enough cooling capacity, for example if you were at the track on a very hot day, not in daily driving situations. Maybe I am wrong.

robert

Originally Posted By: DaddyBlogger
I am wanting to add a coolant additive to my 2003 Honda Odyssey. Which is best Royal Purple's Purple Ice or Amsoil's Dominator Coolant Boost? Both can be added to anti-freeze/water mix unline Redline's Water Wetter...

After decades of using RedLine Water Wetter, I would only add any of the above items to pure, distilled water in my cooling system if I were racing. (Riverside comes to mind as the heat monster in my past experience.)

IMHO it's a waste of money to use them on any vehicle that sees street mileage or must be mixed with anti-freeze. Don't get me wrong, all three products have their place in racing vehicles where they provide excellent protection when used with pure water; however, your coolant package provides the same protection at a less expensive cost.

Quote:
Second question - related to the above first question. If my ATF is cooled by my the engine coolant radiator - if I lower the temp of the engine coolant it should in theory lower the temp slightly of the ATF fluid is this correct?

If you're dependent upon a radiator-based heat exchange system, then yes, lowering the coolant temperature would allow your ATF to exchange more heat in the process as long as the ATF was at a higher temperature than the engine coolant.

You best bang for the buck is an external, air-cooled ATF heat exchanger. Haynes makes these ATF coolers by the dozens. Great for hauling heavy loads, driving on mountain roads, or on those family vacations during the hot summer months. (Really, anytime your really heat-stressing the ATF fluid.)

Hope this info helps!

I have the Purple Ice in my Titan and the Amsoil in the wife's Volvo.

No issues with either one. Just poured in the reservoir and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back