Royal Purple racing 21 @ 5,500 kms in LS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Spacepope,
20w-60 is a little extreme, but it is your motor. I supply a lot of well known race teams with RP21 for their Winston Cup programs and dirt racing. I have one team that ran the entire year on 1 motor. That is 60 races. We analysed the oil every 2 weeks, and there was very little damage. I will try to get their pernission to release the figures. The reason they used it was because they picked up 34 BHP over their old oil. Their engine builder told them to use straight 50. As my daughter says, "that is so last week".By the way, they all buy the oil. Most racers will not advertise the HP increase. So they pay.
Good luck with the thicker oil. and remeber to post the future results.

Space Pope,
Is this the first oil change with RP21? Have you had analysis done with the previous oil? If so what are the changes? OIl analysis is a Condition Monitoring tool, and should be used over time, to trend the condition of your motor. Was the motor flushed out at your first RP oil change. If not there could be residual product in th new oil. For so much iron there is very little in the way of lead (bearings) wear. Where does all the copper come from? Have you analysed the metals that could wear to find the scource. If you contact RP australia, they will arrange for Ferrography to determine the cause and origin of that wear. E mail me and I will supply their address.
Did you have the head and cam work done lately. Could this iron come from the cam "breaking in: or from a poor cleaning job on the heads. Machine shops are known to have left metal around the valves after working there.
What I am trying to say, is that you have a picture of the condition of your motor at the time you took the sample. Have another sample run and start trending it.
In my travels I meet thousand of mechanics that tell me they use xyz oil and change it every 4000 miles and have 300,000 miles on the motor. Our oils are blended from base stocks bought from a reputable manufacturer, additives are added to pass API specs, like everyone else. The least our oil will do, is protect as well as the xyz oils.
We believe our Synerlec additive will give better protection, less friction, and better fuel mileage. I sell and use our oils. I have in excess of 500,000 miles on my vehicles.

Patman,
Have you ever used RP. No I thought not. Yet you are an expert. Give me an address and I will send you some. Run it for 20,000 miles and change/sample/analise it. Then you will talk from experience. If you do not feel a difference and see a change, you are still ahead of the game. Then you can run the oil down with authority.

PRRPLL, I am not saying I'm an expert, I simply have yet to see a good oil analysis on RP that's all. For instance, it was alarming to see 10w30 RP thin out to almost a 10w20 in just 1250 miles in Trevor's Camaro SS (and it wasn't his first interval either)

If you are serious about the free oil, I will try it out some 5w30 in my wife's Honda (not the Firebird, I'm using Schaeffer in that one)

Send to:

Patrick Gattafoni
7190 Atwood Lane Unit 15
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
L5N 7Y6

(if anyone else wants to send me free stuff, go right ahead!)
grin.gif

Hi PRRPILL, I see you are from Baton Rouge. Is RP blended in the BR area. Being a retired lab tech. from ExxonMobil I use Mobil 1 but if the price is right I might try some of that purple oil. Jimmy
grin.gif

Jimmy/JOGHOTROD,
I am in BR and sell a bunch of oil to the Chem plant, refinery and plastics plant. E mail me and I will arrange.
Ethan,
We buy our base Lubes from the best scources we can. We get the best quality at the best price. We have used Exxon, Shell, Amoco, etc. Quality control is awesome, and we turn away any product that is sub grade.But it does seem you are very well informed.

Llew

Isn't it unusual to test viscosity at 40degC and not 100degC, and isn't the viscosity high for a 5w-30 oil? I would think that a 5w-30 would be in the mid 50's at 40degC.

Hey Patman, how you been?
smile.gif

I'll be sending in a sample of RP 5W-30 tomorrow to Terry Dyson and I'll be sure to post the information here.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ShooterSS:
Hey Patman, how you been?
smile.gif

I'll be sending in a sample of RP 5W-30 tomorrow to Terry Dyson and I'll be sure to post the information here.
smile.gif

Hey Shooter, welcome aboard!

welcome.gif

Definitely post those results! We haven't seen too many reports lately, I guess a lot of people are between intervals. I should have my report back from Terry this week or early next week (on Maxlife with 3300 on it)

I heard from PRRPLL and he is arranging to have some Royal Purple sent to me!

fruit.gif

Hey Patman, if you accept some free Royal Purple, does that mean you'll have to return your free Red Line hat?
confused.gif

tongue.gif

You're just rakin' in the freebies, ain't ya'??
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Thanks for the kind words, this site has been great so far!

1500 posts is nothing, I've got 19,000 on LS1.com! I'm a moderator there too and have been there since Feb 1998.

quote:

Originally posted by PRRPILL:
Space Pope,
Is this the first oil change with RP21? Have you had analysis done with the previous oil? If so what are the changes? OIl analysis is a Condition Monitoring tool, and should be used over time, to trend the condition of your motor. Was the motor flushed out at your first RP oil change. If not there could be residual product in th new oil. For so much iron there is very little in the way of lead (bearings) wear. Where does all the copper come from? Have you analysed the metals that could wear to find the scource. If you contact RP australia, they will arrange for Ferrography to determine the cause and origin of that wear. E mail me and I will supply their address.
Did you have the head and cam work done lately. Could this iron come from the cam "breaking in: or from a poor cleaning job on the heads. Machine shops are known to have left metal around the valves after working there.
What I am trying to say, is that you have a picture of the condition of your motor at the time you took the sample. Have another sample run and start trending it.
In my travels I meet thousand of mechanics that tell me they use xyz oil and change it every 4000 miles and have 300,000 miles on the motor. Our oils are blended from base stocks bought from a reputable manufacturer, additives are added to pass API specs, like everyone else. The least our oil will do, is protect as well as the xyz oils.
We believe our Synerlec additive will give better protection, less friction, and better fuel mileage. I sell and use our oils. I have in excess of 500,000 miles on my vehicles.

Patman,
Have you ever used RP. No I thought not. Yet you are an expert. Give me an address and I will send you some. Run it for 20,000 miles and change/sample/analise it. Then you will talk from experience. If you do not feel a difference and see a change, you are still ahead of the game. Then you can run the oil down with authority.

Patman

Did you ever receive this gift of Royal Purple Oil ?

I'm still waiting on the RP, however I did get an email from PRRPLL about a week ago asking me my address so it should arrive shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back