Royal purple or Mobil 1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Yall,

Give me about 3 months and I will post a Royal Purple 5W30 Blackstone Analysis w/TBN.

My 3800 Series II engine has run Royal Purple non-stop for 55,000miles of its 66,000mile existence from the showroom floor. (It had 2 changes the Mobil 1 Formula in 1998 before the introduction of TriSynthetic.

Only this last change due to me visiting Delaware and the extreme cold we are feeling coupled with me not calling Jegs in time required me to have the last change with Mobil 1 SuperSyn. My standard drain is 3-4months and 3500-5000miles no more than that!

I too am fed up with the rather irrational criticism of Royal Purple products. This is no snake oil for crying out loud. Certain companies, as in if you read the AMSOIL cite obscurely knock Moly in RP...then again Moly has been deemed a GREAT thing here.

As demonstrated by GM High Tech Performance magazine in 1999 or 2000 it did make Dyno Proven HP/Torque gains...no deceptive marketing. Of course that is a engine/application specific situation.

This morning it was about 12 deg. F outside and there was a BIG difference in the way the engine turned over. With the M1 it always stared the same no laboring at all, but with the RP, it acted more like a 10w30 dino.I not saying that this a bad thing just that the M1 shines in cold weather start up.I wonder if the M1 gets to the top of the motor faster than the RP and if this fact cuts down on engine wear.

Plexx,

With the M1 it always stared the same no laboring at all, but with the RP, it acted more like a 10w30 dino.I not saying that this a bad thing just that the M1 shines in cold weather start up.I wonder if the M1 gets to the top of the motor faster than the RP and if this fact cuts down on engine wear.

100% Positively agreed on that crucial point. I am running Mobil 1 5W30 for this change and for example today it was 15F for morning start-up.

My 3800 starts SO EASY under colds start up with Mobil 1....it is amazing.

For the past couple years, yes Royal Purple has "harder" winter starts.

To contrast my parents car which is running the Quaker State "Synthetic" 10W30 (just for the interim then back goes Mobil 1) Sounds like the engine is groaning to start-up.

Can someone post pour point comparisons of M1 OW30, 5W30 and stack it against Royal Purple 5W30?

I am even considering running the M1 OW30 next change if this cold spout continues.

Are you guys comparing the SJ version of Royal Purple to new Mobil 1 though?

Because I believe the SL specs for Royal Purple show a vast improvement in cold weather performance over the SJ stuff.

This is the spec for SL 5w30 Royal Purple's cold pumping viscosity:

34,800cp at -35c

Keep in mind this is cold pumping, not cold cranking. How does this compare to other 5w30's cold pumping numbers at -35c?

Patman; I am using the SL version not the SJ.Tonight I went into my unheated garage and checked out a bottle of RP and A bottle of M1 I had left over, and the M1 seemed ALOT thinner in the bottle when I shook them . One thing I have to say in defense of the RP is even though it seems to be thicker at cold start up than the M1 my gas milage seems to be better with the Rp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back