Royal Purple HPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old thread, new post. The RP HPS oils appear to have different additive concentrations from the API SL RP oils in the VOAs of the HPS oils in this link:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-tech-...and-others.html

I'd love to try these oils if the price is right. I'd prefer less ZDDP was used though. They raised calcium and lowered magnesium detergents and raised ZDDP. Of course Synerlec is still used in the HPS oils. I strongly believe it's a sulfurized ester. Sulfur concentration in a VOA of API SL RP by PQI America showed very high sulfur concentration. A BITOG member who is a formulator told me a few years ago that Synerlec is sulfurized ester.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Old thread, new post. The RP HPS oils appear to have different additive concentrations from the API SL RP oils in the VOAs of the HPS oils in this link:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-tech-...and-others.html

I'd love to try these oils if the price is right. I'd prefer less ZDDP was used though. They raised calcium and lowered magnesium detergents and raised ZDDP. Of course Synerlec is still used in the HPS oils. I strongly believe it's a sulfurized ester. Sulfur concentration in a VOA of API SL RP by PQI America showed very high sulfur concentration. A BITOG member who is a formulator told me a few years ago that Synerlec is sulfurized ester.

Good info. I presumed that the HPS was just relabeled API SL RP.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: buster
Looks like a strong oil. RP makes some good oil.

I agree
smile.gif
Royal Purple and Redline are all I use anymore, but there are plenty that I haven't tried. That's the fun of it!

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Not one 0W-XX high VI oil is offered in their HPS line up therefore I have no interest. Besides there overpriced.

Speaking of VI, a while back I emailed RP asking why their straight weight oils had such low VIs and was told it was because of their additive packages. My best guess of what could lowered the VI so much is the Synerlec, which, as I said I think is a sulfurized ester. If true, this ester must have a VI less than 100. I think that for a small company's oil and what you get, they are priced reasonably...at least in the U.S. There is not much of a market for 0W-X race/street-oriented oils.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Anyone here using the HPS oils right now?

I fortunately still have about 40 bottles (quarts) of the Royal Purple "with SYNERLAC!" bottles, in both 5w30 and 5w40, in my basement so I have been hesitant to try the new stuff (even if it IS just the old stuff), but as I have always had excellent results with RP "Synerlac" GrpIV/V Synthetic and RP XPS "Racing" Oil, I went ahead and ordered a 24-qt case. Price came out to about $6.15/qt, not counting shipping, so not a bad deal... I think I will try it first in the 325i or the 740iS before trusting my much more expensive 328Ci's motor to it, but I'm 99% sure it'll go well (well, I'm 99% hopeful!).

For what it's worth, a friend with a very heavily modified C63 AMG has been running it for the last 6k miles, and he really likes it... But I think of MB motors as more similar to big-block American V8's than typical European car engines (at least the AMG N/A ones...). Blackstone, for what little it's worth, said he still should get another 4-5k miles out of it, and this guy does NOT let this car have an easy life! 33k miles on the odometer and on his 4th set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2's... Hehe

I saw RP 5w30 dexos approved for $8.47 at Walmart. Where you can you get the HPS?

I have heard RP makes very good industrial and racing oils. A lot of people like their PCMO's too.

I saw RP 5w30 dexos approved for $8.47 at Walmart. Where you can you get the HPS?

RP told me that they`ll be available at the parts chains sometime early next year.

HPS is available online now.
Yeah, that video...check out that M1 wear scar. The bottle gives away its identity. What oil do you think is in the black bottle?

Originally Posted By: JAG
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Not one 0W-XX high VI oil is offered in their HPS line up therefore I have no interest. Besides there overpriced.

Speaking of VI, a while back I emailed RP asking why their straight weight oils had such low VIs and was told it was because of their additive packages. My best guess of what could lowered the VI so much is the Synerlec, which, as I said I think is a sulfurized ester. If true, this ester must have a VI less than 100. I think that for a small company's oil and what you get, they are priced reasonably...at least in the U.S. There is not much of a market for 0W-X race/street-oriented oils.

I suspect you're right with the Synerlec ester having a very low VI. I was once interested in RP XPR 0W-10 but it's VI of only 140 didn't impress. Heck, the Toyota 0W-20 is lighter at temp's as high as 30C, 30% lighter at 0C, contains a boatload of moly and has a higher HTHSV. I ask, which is the better light race oil?

Most modern race oils used today are 0W oils.
RL's 2wt, 5wt, 10wt and 20wt race oils are 0W-XX oils not to mention their 0W line race oriented street oils.
Mobil's race oils are 0W-30 and 0W-50 grades plus their steet 0W-40 which is often used as a race oil.
Pennzoil Ultra's Euro L 5W-30 and 5W-40 with their 180 VIs are likely 0W oils.
Joe Gibbs XP0 and XP2 are 0W-XX race oils.
Fuchs Titan GT-1 XTL 0W-20 (ester based, VII and Zn free) oil is a long drain street and a race oil.
(I had to mention the last one since I have it on order and I'll me running it next in my Caterham).

Originally Posted By: tig1
Did anyone see the HPS video using that machine? 8:44. LOL

http://royalpurple.com/rp-videos.html#

Here is M1s answer to the RP machine test.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Oil_Film_Strength.aspx

Yeah this test is a complete joke. It's flawed for a few reasons. Doesn't correlate to actual car engine wear. It's run at ambient temperatures. And these types of tests react to certain EP additives. This could be why RP has so much sulfur in it. A gear oil would have similar results. It's marketing at it's finest, or worst depending on how you look at it. LOL

Honestly, ANY "test" that can be performed by an oil salesman is going to be irrelevant... How can you expect someone to be able to replicate the conditions inside an internal combustion engine, with all of its complexities, parts (both moving and still), and explosions?
Rubbing a couple of pieces of metal together with oil between them is a joke, and that's essentially ALL that ANY of these "TESTS" are! If you buy your oil based on that, you should re-examine yourself.

That said, even the standardized tests don't really correlate much to REAL WORLD USE. Running their test engine at a constant RPM for a given period of time, then inspecting wear...? COME ON! How about start ups? Weather ranging from -50*F to +120*F? Varying engine load? Varying engine speed? Improper engine warm ups? I could go on....

Fact is, oils clearly do a good job or cars wouldn't be lasting hundreds of thousands of miles... However, any deeper than that, and it's going to come down to the individual application, because no fancy looking "test" is going to give you accurate results.
"You cannot simulate real life conditions in a laboratory, regardless of how well-designed it is... There always exists variables outside of your control, and many more that could never be predicted"

Originally Posted By: nleksan
Honestly, ANY "test" that can be performed by an oil salesman is going to be irrelevant... How can you expect someone to be able to replicate the conditions inside an internal combustion engine, with all of its complexities, parts (both moving and still), and explosions?
Rubbing a couple of pieces of metal together with oil between them is a joke, and that's essentially ALL that ANY of these "TESTS" are! If you buy your oil based on that, you should re-examine yourself.

That said, even the standardized tests don't really correlate much to REAL WORLD USE. Running their test engine at a constant RPM for a given period of time, then inspecting wear...? COME ON! How about start ups? Weather ranging from -50*F to +120*F? Varying engine load? Varying engine speed? Improper engine warm ups? I could go on....

Fact is, oils clearly do a good job or cars wouldn't be lasting hundreds of thousands of miles... However, any deeper than that, and it's going to come down to the individual application, because no fancy looking "test" is going to give you accurate results.
"You cannot simulate real life conditions in a laboratory, regardless of how well-designed it is... There always exists variables outside of your control, and many more that could never be predicted"

True, and this is why I really like the in-house testing done by the auto manufacturers.

If you haven't seen Ford's torture test for the Ecoboost, check it out on Youtube, it is pretty nuts!

Freeze the engine to some obscene temperature, then take it WOT, then freeze it, WOT. Run it until everything is glowing....etc.

I'm not sure if this is also part of their oil spec testing, but if it is, well, that's impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back