Router weirdness

I have a Century Link C1100Z. I have a Directv receiver in Ethernet port 1 and Blu Ray player in Ethernet port 2 and PC in Ethernet port 3 but haven't used this PC in a few months,

The issue I'm having is when I plug my laptop into Ethernet port 4 nothing happens, my wireless connection keeps working, I've tried the laptop in port 1 and 2 and same thing so I"m thinking the issue is with the laptop, There is also a WAN/LAN port on the back of the router and if I use that to plug the laptop in it works, my wireless icon goes away and the other icon comes up letting me know I'm hooked up with a wired connection,

Something else that may help, when I hook the laptop up to Ethernet port 4 my Dirextv looses it's connection even though the Ethernet port 1 light on the front still shows but when I use a feature that needs the connection like Pandora it says there is no connection, unplug laptop from port 4 and all is well.

So rather than mess with this is it ok to keep using the WAN/LAN port for the laptop?

Considering your close enough to plug into it; have you ran any speed tests to see if there is a real world advantage to using ethernet over wifi? For example, I pay for 100MB down and my airways are clear inside my home so it's a 2 to 3% difference.

Funny you should mention that because I'm literally inches from the router. I was having some issues with Google Remote Desktop loosing a connection a couple times a day so thought I'd try wired but didn't help but I guess it bugs me because it should work.

This sounds like the PC is configured for connection sharing rather than a normal access.

Originally Posted by mk378
This sounds like the PC is configured for connection sharing rather than a normal access.

+2

I would try turning its wifi off in the BIOS or via mechanical switch to make sure it's off. That'll force the OS to use the ethernet, and not share it.

Originally Posted by mk378

Yup, it does a bit, doesn't it? Would be the first thing I suggest checking.

Connection sharing is off on both the Ethernet and Wi-fi connections. All drivers and firmware are the latest or at least no issues in Device Manager

I'm working from home and getting 40 hours so I don't want to risk messing up something beyond my ability to fix since this is my only laptop, just thought this might ring a bell with someone.

When I go back to work I may look more into this but for now if I need to use Ethernet I don't see any issues using the WAN/LAN port.

Back