Rounded bolt removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Craftsman Bolt-out. They sell two sets; one will have the one you are looking for.
Worked very well for me.
Socket #11 is for 17mm and 11/16".

Last edited:
Turbo Sockets

tsmd3809.jpg

http://turbosocket.com/html/tsmd3809.html

Come to think of it, if the bolt is smooth on top, you can cut a slot halfway across the diameter of the hex head that's fairly deep and engage it with a cold chisel and knock it loose that way. Been there too. A way, if thought through almost always accompanies a will.

Originally Posted By: chestand
Come to think of it, if the bolt is smooth on top, you can cut a slot halfway across the diameter of the hex head that's fairly deep and engage it with a cold chisel and knock it loose that way

Wouldn't an impact screwdriver work here as well?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Trav
What do you guys recommend for removing a rounded drain plug bolt?

For example, Irwin has their special socket set, but of course.. no 17mm.
smile.gif

Just use the 11/16 it will fit.

It won't be too big? It's about 17.5mm.

No these types of sockets can tighten down almost a whole size before slipping.

Lots of suggestions here and I think most of them will work but Vice Grips will be your quickest, easiest and probably cheapest solution. I can't count how many times Vice Grip pliers have saved my bacon. Prolly have 25 pairs of them, in assorted sizes. one of the most useful tools a handyman can have.

-valentine

Originally Posted By: tig1
I couldn't even get to it with a pipe wrench.

Would welding a nut be an issue if the pan is aluminum?

I don't mind sacrificing sockets either. I have also considered JB welding a socket to it.

The drain plug is steel. No, there is no problem welding a nut to the plug. Go to a muffler shop and have them weld it.

Ah I missed this post.

Even though the plug is steel, the aluminum pan wont get harmed? I know aluminum has a lower melting point than steel and I dont know how hot the plug will get once it gets welded.

Bought these. They worked on the 3rd try after tapping them on with a hammer.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-dam...p;mktRedirect=y

Their description had me thinking they were sockets, but they are just inserts. They recommend using pliers or a wrench in the instructions, but I recommend putting them into sockets and use a large ratchet. Between Sears points and a gift card, I ended up paying a little under $8. I'm happy.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I couldn't even get to it with a pipe wrench.

Would welding a nut be an issue if the pan is aluminum?

I don't mind sacrificing sockets either. I have also considered JB welding a socket to it.

The drain plug is steel. No, there is no problem welding a nut to the plug. Go to a muffler shop and have them weld it.

Ah I missed this post.

Even though the plug is steel, the aluminum pan wont get harmed? I know aluminum has a lower melting point than steel and I dont know how hot the plug will get once it gets welded.

The welded plug will not get hot enough to melt the aluminum pan.

It would have been better if I had access to a car lift instead of just my rhino ramps for this situation.

It was all going good, but the breaker bar came down on my head! My noggin has ached since Saturday and my breaker bar has a dent in it now. Jk.
laugh.gif

The kit came with a 17mm specific size.

#1 Bolt-Out fits 3/8 in. size fastener; #2 Bolt-Out fits 10mm size fastener
#3 Bolt-Out fits 11mm and 7/16 in. size fastener; #4 Bolt-Out fits 12mm size fastener
#5 Bolt-Out fits 13mm and 1/2 in. size fastener; #6 Bolt-Out fits 14mm size fastener
#7 Bolt-Out fits 15mm size fastener; #8 Bolt-Out fits 16mm and 5/8 in. size fastener
#9 Bolt-Out fits 17mm size fastener; #10 Bolt-Out fits 19mm and 3/4 in. size fastener

Is this the Irwin or Craftsman set? I have found these things to be one of the most useful tools in the box living in the salt belt.

It was just the Craftsman set. I believe they call it the "compact" set. Unlike the Irwin set, they aren't sockets and are just inserts.

my Matco MbX 13 bolt extractor comes with a 17 millimeter and it looks just like the irwin kit... Then again it was $200.... is the cheapest way to go about this may just be to go to a shop with your oil change stuff. at my shop if it isn't free at most we charge a nominal 1/10 hr fee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back