Rotors and Pads

Good morning everyone. I need to pads and rotors on my 2013 CRV and I am wondering what everyones thoughts on Raybestos Element3 coated rotors and Power Stop Z16 Evolution ceramic pads off of RA? Are these quality or at least comparable to AZ or O'Reillys?

I've used the RE3 coated rotors repeatedly now and they do end up looking nicer after a year in the salt belt than just standard versions without much more cost. Not sure on the pads never used that brand.

So 3 years ago now, I installed Raybestos RPT (now Element 3) front rotors paired with Akebono ProAct pads on a 7th Gen Accord, I remain satisfied with their performance. We don't get heavy salt and sand here, just an occasional liquid brine prep on roads. There's some minor surface rust on the edges, superficial and nothing to affect performance or longevity. And the price was right.

That said, if one lives in the NE or an area with heavy salt and sand and looking for "ultimate" no/low rust performance, the Element3 may not fit the bill.

Also, how do y'all break in you pads and rotors? I am a diesel mechanic and Honda 225 tech on boats....we don't have brakes on boats haha.

Multiple ways to do it. I typically leave early for work and do 5 medium-hard stops from 50 to 5 mph.
Agreed - from the various internet sources I've read, it seems that the key is to get the brakes hot several times, while avoiding full stops where the pads are held against a stationary rotor before having a chance to cool again. I followed that logic when I installed Element 3 rotors and pads on all four corners of my Explorer, and they're smooth and perform well a year and a bit later.

raybestos eht/element3 is my default goto although I research specific applications.

luckily with mostly new vehicles I have a couple years off brakes.. although my jeep will need a cleanout at least next spring.

Used Raybestos coated rotors and their E3 hybrid pads on our Camry. Their stopping performance is great, even heated up after spirited mountain runs. They're noisier than the OEM combo, but the braking performance makes up for it.

As far as bedding them in, I did several runs of gentle 35mph-10mph runs, followed by a harder 35-10 for several times. Drove a mile to cool them down a little and repeated the process 45-10, then 55-10. Seems to have worked for me. You'll get a wide range of methods on here and everybody winds up arguing and bickering about it...

Reactions: FZ1
Thanks for all the input. I ordered them and they will be here on Friday. I'll install them in the next couple weeks.

They came in. I’ll probably do them next weekend. I’m pretty excited about it.
A04A4749-F20F-45AF-8F1C-AC1FC7E5DF1A.jpeg

Back