Rotella's Forum - Response I Got

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: "Regarding pour point, or any of the physical properties listed on specification sheets. You're likely to find any number of properties where one oil may have a "better" number than another, and argue over the details. More important (to me) is balanced performance from oil. Balance meaning excellent wear control (especially protection from corrosive and extreme pressure wear) and deposit control (especially piston cleanliness), as well as excellent performance meeting normal lubrication needs. Choosing oil should be based on performance, and not on kind of base oils, kind of additives, or physical properties."

forum link edited (sorry, other message board direct links not allowed per forum guidelines)

Go to general discussion and then to the post about cold flow properties with Rotella T posted by me (Jelly83).

[ August 19, 2003, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Sorry. Here is the entire thread:

My Original Post: Rotella looks like a very good oil, but I do have one issue with it...why does it not have as low of a pour point as Delo 400 or Delvac 1300?

Looking at the spec charts, the cold pour point on Rotella is about -15F. Delo and Delvac though both have cold pour points in excess of -30F.

I've also been told that Rotella (well, Shell) is just resting on it's name...that it's additive/anti-wear package is not up to par with Delo and Delvac, and that it's base stock was just upgraded to a group two, whereas it was previously a group one.

Can Rotella really hang with Delo 400 and Delvac 1300?

Reply From Shell's TechExpert: I'll turn the last question around; can Delo and Delvac hang with ROTELLA T?

As America's best selling heavy-duty multigrade oil, ROTELLA T draws a lot of attention from competitor oils. As you would expect, in promoting their brands, competitors like to suggest their oils have superior performance. They may even suggest performance of ROTELLA T is "not keeping up". But in fact, ROTELLA T exceeds the performance requirements of all major oil specifications, be it API CI-4 or Caterpillar's new ECF-1. And we're usually the first oil to meet new specs when they're introduced. That's because performance improvement is a continuing process with ROTELLA T, not driven only by new standards.

Meeting specs is one thing. How oil performs in a variety of engines in real world conditions is another. We do a lot of field testing with ROTELLA T. And these are real field tests, where at test end engines are stripped to a bare block so that oil performance can be examined in detail. Our recent Australian Road Train field test is a good example of this. Sometimes we field test with competitor products in the test oil matrix, and we've yet to see a competitor product perform better than ROTELLA T.

Regarding pour point, or any of the physical properties listed on specification sheets. You're likely to find any number of properties where one oil may have a "better" number than another, and argue over the details. More important (to me) is balanced performance from oil. Balance meaning excellent wear control (especially protection from corrosive and extreme pressure wear) and deposit control (especially piston cleanliness), as well as excellent performance meeting normal lubrication needs. Choosing oil should be based on performance, and not on kind of base oils, kind of additives, or physical properties.

[ August 19, 2003, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

I think it is a cop out. Just like they told the government here that they should not be required to have API certification as they are better than the API.

I've read and posted one question on that forum. It was regarding their rotella ELC coolant for diesel engines, the entended life coolant. Quick summary: most older diesels use the conventional green antifreeze and switching over to any extened life coolant have caused oil cooler o-rings and water pumps to leak.

So I asked this specifically over on that forum. They never answered until I said, "guess you aren't gonna touch this one eh? I will buy the regular green stuff."
I get a response back that day, something to the effect of: we are unaware of any problems like you stated. If you are concerned about potential problems then we recommend you follow your oem manual and use the conventional antifreeze.

Don't forget that is a shell website, so if the guy typing wants to keep his job he will never write anything negative about the shell products. And from his response to you, it sounds like he's nothing more than a press man or marketer for shell.

edit: I take back my last statement. I just found my question over there. From some of the answers in the boat forum and others the tech guy sounds knowledgable and honest. But again, he will never say anything negative about the shell products, because it is a shell website.

[ August 19, 2003, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: 1 FMF ]

Back in 94 when I was a Salesman for Mobil,they ran all kinds of test on "Rotella T".They were always a also
ran Oil.Delvac & Dello were # 1
always.Rotella wasen't even in the running,and that's a fact Jack.
Stay Kool.......
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by W.T.McGlynn:
Back in 94 when I was a Salesman for Mobil,they ran all kinds of test on "Rotella T".They were always a also
ran Oil.Delvac & Dello were # 1
always.Rotella wasen't even in the running,and that's a fact Jack.
Stay Kool.......
rolleyes.gif

Wow, Mobil runs tests comparing their oil to that of Shell, and the Mobil oil beats the Shell oil. Big surprise. This is as much a "fact" (and means just as much) as Shell's own internal comparisons of Rotella with other oils.
rolleyes.gif

Well I have news for both of you.
Esso did tests on all the other engine oils and confirmed that their products are the best.
It must be true, its printed right there in the Esso book.

And Amsoil says there is best of the best and they prove it with graphs and stuff and like I think it's true.
grin.gif

Not to knock Amsoil bc I like the oil, but I love how they compare different viscosities in the four ball wear....apples and oranges people!
rolleyes.gif

[ August 19, 2003, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back