Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W30 data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mctmatt
Reading the technical data sheet it says that T6 also uses the PurePlus process of converting natural gas to a clear base oil just as Pennzoil Platinum. Since they own and produce both of these products is the 5w-30 T6 the same or better than the Pennzoil Platinum.

The Rotella 5w-30 and the Pennzoil Platinum will be fairly different products, despite sharing similar base stock chemistry. The Rotella has a significantly thicker HTHS and meets an entirely different set of approvals. They'll share the SN side of things, but SN is only a small sliver of the other specs that each product meets that are mutually exclusive with the specifications the other meets.

The Rotella is a CK-4 lubricant with elevated HTHS, and will have many diesel builder approvals. The Pennzoil Platinum is A5/B5, with reduced HTHS. In any event, they're definitely not the same, and it would be hard to peg which is "better" than they other, since it depends on the application. It would work just fine in an Impala. One may lose a tiny bit of fuel economy, which will be unnoticeable. It won't be the specified lube if one is wanting to check every box for warranty concerns. I can't speak to cost advantages or disadvantages in your situation. But, it will work just fine. If it were me and it were up here, given the pricing regimes, I'd consider this product or something similar. However, if the dexos1 Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 can be obtained readily and at a good price, that's the more "correct" option.

Killer223: Shell owns Pennzoil, so it might be more correct to say that Shell makes Pennzoil oils.

Lex94: Merk will be afraid of this oil because it's a 5w-XX and isn't an ILSAC 10w-30. He talks a lot about 20w-50 and 10w-40 and thicker oils in general, but every oil in his stash has that Starburst.
wink.gif

Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W30

Bring this back up as this oil has just now showed up on my radar.

I am curious as to what what the sulfated ash content is?

I've a 2015 Tdi Passat and a 2017 Duramax 2.8l. Both call for Euro spec'ed oil, VW 507.00 and Dexos2, respectively. These oils typically run about .8% of wgt or less. Mobil 1 ESP is .6 ~ .68%

It would be nice to have one oil for for these apps (also have a Kubuta 30hp diesel tractor) and the ash content is what I was wondering about. I've not been able to locate that number.

btw... The oil is advertised as having TBN of 11! Awesome number!

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Has anyone seen this in a store? BTW, Shell has a $5 rebate on a gallon of Rotella right now.

I've checked my local Walmart and Amazon, still no luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
This oil seems to be vaporware to me...

Per Shell it appears to be only available in bulk 55 gallon drums at this time. Hopefully it time we'll see it at retail locations. It would be my choice if it were out there.

Originally Posted By: sohccammer427
I am curious as to what what the sulfated ash content is?

My guess would be right around 1. That's what the competition has; it's typical of an E6 lubricant with high TBN. I'm not sure why Shell hasn't marketed this as an E6, E7, E9 lubricant like the competition has, since I can't see anything that would disqualify it from either E7 or E9.

Yep - T6 NOACK has been a fair amount higher than PP and even higher than Delo & Delvac conventional ...
That was a while back but not sure what is the latest ...

Originally Posted By: sohccammer427
Per Shell it appears to be only available in bulk 55 gallon drums at this time. Hopefully it time we'll see it at retail locations. It would be my choice if it were out there.

It's in 5 litre containers, too, even available from NAPA here, at least by special order.

Thanks... I'll take the Technical Data Sheet to to NAPA or Autozone and see if it's orderable. It should be priced the same at T6 5w-40 I'd think. Rotella T6 has always been reasonably priced compared to others.

I didn't compare it to the T6 5w-40, but the price I got quoted for a box of three 5 L jugs was pretty impressive, very hard to beat. The distributor that I spoke to wasn't local, unfortunately, and didn't have the product in stock but was quite willing to order it in for me. The local distributor is probably still confused by queries about CK-4, let alone a new product.

Looks like a solid 5W-30! In gasoline-terms, it seems like a "euro" A3/B4 5W-30 vs. a "domestic" GF-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back