Rotella T6 in Briggs Vangaurd 37HP EFI air cooled

I want to use the Rotella T6 5w-40 in my Scag with the Vangaurd 37HP. My concern is the Rotella doesn't have the API SN rating, only API CK-4. It also doesn't have the "For Gasoline Engines" I know a lot of people including myself who use it in ATV's. Below is from Vangaurd for this motor. Is Rotella good to use?

OIL RECOMMENDATIONS​

Commercial Engine Oil Recommendations by Vanguard Engines

Below 4°C (40°F) the use of SAE 30 will result in hard starting and could cause a lack of lubrication failure.
**Above 27°C (80°F ) the use of 10W-30 may cause increased oil consumption. Check oil level more frequently.
  • SAE 30 5°C and higher (40°F and higher) is good for all purpose use above 5°C, use below 5°C will cause hard starting.
  • 10W-30 -18 to 38°C (0 to 100°F) is better for varying temperature conditions. This grade of oil improves cold weather starting, but may increase oil consumption at 27°C (80°F) or higher.
  • Synthetic 5W-30 -30 to 40°C (-20 to 120°F) provides the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption.
  • 5W-30 5°C and below (40°F and below) is recommended for winter use, and works best in cold conditions.
  • For continuous-use, such as commercial lawn cutting or pressure washing, use Vanguard 15W-50 Oil (temperatures from -7°C to 54°C (20°F to 130°F)).

Type of oil to use

• Use a high quality detergent oil classified "For Service SF, SG, SH, SJ" or higher.
  • Do not use special additives.
  • Choose a viscosity according to the table above.
To view the most current information regarding oil type and capacity specific to your engine, please view your engine Operator's Manual online. Engine Break-in procedures for both Synthetic and standard oil remain the same.
Synthetic Oil Caution API Service

Note: Synthetic oil meeting ILSAC GF-2, API certification mark and API service symbol (shown at left) with "SJ/CF ENERGY CONSERVING" or higher, is an acceptable oil at all temperatures. Use of synthetic oil does not alter required oil change intervals.

It's a small engine, you don't have a catalytic converter, HDEO is perfectly fine in engines without a cat, the only reason Rotella is no longer rated for gasoline engines is because it contains roughly 1100ppm of phos, and the S rating limits it to 800ppm, which was a compromise made to extended the life of catalytic converters and to try to keep them running at peak efficiency for as long as possible.

It's a small engine, you don't have a catalytic converter, HDEO is perfectly fine in engines without a cat, the only reason Rotella is no longer rated for gasoline engines is because it contains roughly 1100ppm of phos, and the S rating limits it to 800ppm, which was a compromise made to extended the life of catalytic converters and to try to keep them running at peak efficiency for as long as possible.
Thanks for the reply. Are the higher amounts of phos and I believe it has higher zinc 1200 better for a aair cooled engine of this type?

Thanks for the reply. Are the higher amounts of phos and I believe it has higher zinc 1200 better for a aair cooled engine of this type?
I have no way to quantify that, the most important thing is just making sure it has clean oil and enough of it. Unless you're operating it in cold temperatures, 15W40 would probably be a better choice than 5W40 as 5W40 is quite prone to shearing in the heat of an air cooled engine. I'd use 15W40 Rotella T6 or 15W40 Delvac Extreme (I think there's another rebate coming up in September,) or if you're using it for more of a commercial duty cycle 15W50 Mobil1, 15W50 Mobil since it's 50 grade it doesn't have to adhere to 800ppm limit and has somewhere around 1200ppm of phos/zinc similar to the Rotella T6 or Delvac Extreme, if you're worried about not having enough zinc.

I want to use the Rotella T6 5w-40 in my Scag with the Vangaurd 37HP. My concern is the Rotella doesn't have the API SN rating, only API CK-4. It also doesn't have the "For Gasoline Engines" I know a lot of people including myself who use it in ATV's. Below is from Vangaurd for this motor. Is Rotella good to use?

OIL RECOMMENDATIONS​

Commercial Engine Oil Recommendations by Vanguard Engines

*Below 4°C (40°F) the use of SAE 30 will result in hard starting and could cause a lack of lubrication failure.
**Above 27°C (80°F ) the use of 10W-30 may cause increased oil consumption. Check oil level more frequently.
  • SAE 30 5°C and higher (40°F and higher) is good for all purpose use above 5°C, use below 5°C will cause hard starting.
  • 10W-30 -18 to 38°C (0 to 100°F) is better for varying temperature conditions. This grade of oil improves cold weather starting, but may increase oil consumption at 27°C (80°F) or higher.
  • Synthetic 5W-30 -30 to 40°C (-20 to 120°F) provides the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption.
  • 5W-30 5°C and below (40°F and below) is recommended for winter use, and works best in cold conditions.
  • For continuous-use, such as commercial lawn cutting or pressure washing, use Vanguard 15W-50 Oil (temperatures from -7°C to 54°C (20°F to 130°F)).

Type of oil to use

• Use a high quality detergent oil classified "For Service SF, SG, SH, SJ" or higher.
  • Do not use special additives.
  • Choose a viscosity according to the table above.
To view the most current information regarding oil type and capacity specific to your engine, please view your engine Operator's Manual online. Engine Break-in procedures for both Synthetic and standard oil remain the same.
Synthetic Oil Caution API Service

Note: Synthetic oil meeting ILSAC GF-2, API certification mark and API service symbol (shown at left) with "SJ/CF ENERGY CONSERVING" or higher, is an acceptable oil at all temperatures. Use of synthetic oil does not alter required oil change intervals.
go to wally world, 20w50 is good

1628886895353.jpg

I found a post from several months ago in another thread where someone contacted Warren and they sent a PDS, the Supertech V-twin oil has 1100ppm of phos. Looks like it'd be a pretty decent oil to run in this mower, so long as you don't need to start it when it's freezing cold.

Don't worry about it. Your engine doesn't have a catalytic converter. Depending upon where you live the 15w-40 might be a better option. Look at the chart and ask yourself how often you plan to mow at 20 degrees.

15W-40 is almost always good in air-cooled mowers, high HTHS

15W-50 even better because even higher HTHS

Mowers don't usually endure cold starts....so its a moot point

The T6 will work well. The engine will not self destruct. No cat converter so no problem using "diesel oil".
I mowed grass as a side business for years. Dino diesel 30wt and 15w40 is what I used. All brands. 12.5 to 20 HP engines with no oil cooler. Using Rotella and Delo made me feel good but I soon caught on that the engines ran just the same on Supertech and other house brands too. No big difference. The main thing is to check the oil level at the beginning of each day you use the mower. Keep the air filter clean and change oil when due.

I suspect M1 15w50 possibly Valvoline is what is in the "Vanguard" bottle. 22.99 for a 5 qt jug of M1 is a really good deal plus use that oil for your hydros. BTW Vanguard engines are my favorite. They always have a bit more torque and power compared to the other brands of the same HP. They are hotrods.

Your Scag has a 60 or 72' deck and those are well built, solid machines. Scag makes good stuff. Use the oil that you want, 30/40/50 wt. Syn oil really works well in air cooled engines. Don't over think it.

If the machine is under warranty, I wouldn’t do it otherwise you won’t have any issues.

Warranty wise, I’d use Castrol 5w30 A3/B4 or Rotella T6 5w30. I believe Chevron and M1 have a HDEO gasser 10w30 too.

5 or 10w30 has no place in a Vanguard except for cold weather use and i still don't recommend it either because of excess oil consumption. I run 15w50 in mine for that reason and it is recommended by Briggs & Stratton.

Vanguard is not spec for a motorcycle oil. Right under the JASO MA/MA2 it says
"Follow the engine's manufacture's recommendations for specific performance and viscosity requirements."
I do use a CK4/SN oil in my air cool.. The SN makes it meet the spec.

Back