Rotella T6, 5W40, 1-year, <500 miles, Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the title, this seems to belong in the HDEO, however, the T6 is in my '86 Mazda, B2000, GAS ENGINE. As stated in the subject line, this sump of Rotella T6 will have been in for 1-year, and have less than 500 miles on it.

To cut some costs, I removed insurance and tags off my '86 Mazda last July 2011 when I took delivery of my '11 Corolla. Nothing mechanically wrong for the parking, just economics. So, things have improved and I miss my truck. Previous to the parking and within the 500 mile window, I also exchanged the coolant (Prestone Green) and MTF (Amsoil Synthetic GL4). I chose T6 along with the previous in response to the knowledge of the impending hibernation. This was the first time I've run T6 in the Mazda and I could notice a change in motor "smoothness." It did consume(burn) the T6, however, this Mazda, and many of B's, has always consumed oil. It is reported to occur at startup and I agree. The temporary blue ploom does insinuate consumption, but overall, the truck ran fine with it. During this time of hibernation, the truck was cranked approximately 5-10 times and got up to operating temperature each time for no more than (5) minutes. I only felt comfortable running to my family's home a short distance down the road without any tags.

So the question is, "Change it?" Given this circumstance, can T6 still perform? Each time I've cranked it, I've checked the oil before. First pull displays deep, dark, black, but the second, uncranked, uncirculated pull shows a more green, "cleaner" oil.

I've got the oil and filters to exchange, but that's not my point. T6 is ~$21.50 for (1) gallon at WalMart. Would draining this sump be a waste?

Of course it would make me "feel" better if I changed it, but seriously, my feelings would be even more hurt if I knew the T6 was fine for intermediary demand. The Mazda will continue to be my "second" vehicle and not daily driven.

Opinions? And support to back it up would be appreciated. I really can't make my mind.

I'd say that if you are going to get tags and drive it around more to go ahead and keep it in there.
But only if you get to drive it around for at least 30+ minutes at a time at least once a month.

Sitting can kill seals.

If it is going to be left I'd go ahead and change it out with some Dino.

I have an F150 that I only use on projects that sees something like 1000 miles a year, this year it may be more though as there are a lot of friends that are moving and I have a bunch of projects going. Typically I do 1 year intervals on Dino. However I did go 18 months once on Synthetic, It just bothers me to go that long on something that sees such low mileage. Could it go longer... absolutely, especially here in Texas where the 108 degree summer days seem to boil water out of everything, but it would really bother me.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I'd say that if you are going to get tags and drive it around more to go ahead and keep it in there.
But only if you get to drive it around for at least 30+ minutes at a time at least once a month.

Sitting can kill seals.

If it is going to be left I'd go ahead and change it out with some Dino.

I have an F150 that I only use on projects that sees something like 1000 miles a year, this year it may be more though as there are a lot of friends that are moving and I have a bunch of projects going. Typically I do 1 year intervals on Dino. However I did go 18 months once on Synthetic, It just bothers me to go that long on something that sees such low mileage. Could it go longer... absolutely, especially here in Texas where the 108 degree summer days seem to boil water out of everything, but it would really bother me.

Valid support SDave, thank you. When I get tags, I am anticipating driving the truck at least once per week to take trash to the office. The county charges for trash pick-up and the office dumpster has plenty of space on "dump days." And of course the occasional project or "fun run" with the ATV.

I've got some Mobil Delvac 1300 Super that I got for ~$8 with the most recent MIR, so this would be a great time to try Mobil. Mobil with either a NAPA Gold or Purolator PUREOne, how ever the feeling struck me when I pull from the stash.

Originally Posted By: Highline9
Go 2 years and send a sample to blackstone.

You request this out of curiosity on a mindset that 2-years is questionable.

No, don't dump the T6 yet. Oil doesn't get worn out just sitting in the pan, it's operating time or miles that does it. Keep running it until you get at lest 6000 miles on it.

Thank you for your responses.

I've got another question in a similar matter. My brother just recently changed the oil in his '10 Honda Rancher that calls for the JASO MA specification, which T6 satisfies. However, his ATV has responded with a "sluggishness" and when up to operating temperature, he describes "hard" shifts with the wet clutch setup. He has run this (3) quart sump approximately (8) hours in the last (2) weeks. He wishes to go back to 10W30. He had Amsoil Motorcycle 10W30 in it last year with no ill effects and simply chose T6 as a price effective alternative, since our preferred customer subsription expired.

My question, "Gather in a clean container and reuse in the Mazda? I don't see why the T6 would have been beat on hard enough not to. Thoughts?

Standard interval is 2 years on a Porsche with 0W-40 M1. Ive seen analysis on cars with 15,000 miles and 4 years and the oil was fine.

I vote for 3 years or 7500 miles whichever occurs first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back