Rotella T6 15w40 not 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by tundraotto
It's almost as if they left something on the table, from the VOA's with this new T6 15W-40.

Maybe for the next "re-formulation"...

If you're talking about the lower zinc and phosphorus, maybe it just isn't as necessary with the higher film strength this oil probably has.

On some more reading: Shell Rotella T4 15W-40 conventional, has a much stronger add pack and TBN on the VOA's. I think this is a miss, at least for us 'thickies'....maybe motorcycle folks will like it.

Last edited:
Just picked some up at WM at $20/gal for the next OC on the R1. I've been waiting for it to arrive for a while.

I'm having to pick mine up a gallon at a time. Seems every time I look for it they (Walmart) only have 1 or none on the shelf. $19.97 around here. Mine isn't due until March so I should be able to pick up another gallon by then but I'll keep buying all I see.

The Ram EcoDiesel is 7,500 miles into an OCI on this stuff and so far.... so darn good.

My only disappointment and reason for me dumping the oil this weekend..... When the temps are in the single digits..... it is harder to start than any oil that has ever been in the truck.

I'm dumping tomorrow and pouring in T6 5w40. Winter is here and negative temps are on the way.

By the way.... this stuff ROCKS in my motorcycles!!!!!

Last edited:
I just changed mine and put the T6 15-40 in with a LF16035 Stratapore filter on my 6.7 CTD. The oil I drained was what came in it from the factory 2 years ago. 3094 miles total. So far the only thing I've noticed is the engine is much quieter. We had a record breaking temp the other day. 20 degrees. Don't think negative temps are in my future. So far so good.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that Rotella T6 full synthetic 15w-40 doesn't "meet or exceed" the 228.51 spec.
I thought that with the extra zinc and synthetic basestock, it should make it through the wear requirements.
What exactly does it not meet in that spec or why would they feel it doesn't meet it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Brian553
I'm surprised that Rotella T6 full synthetic 15w-40 doesn't "meet or exceed" the 228.51 spec.
I thought that with the extra zinc and synthetic basestock, it should make it through the wear requirements.
What exactly does it not meet in that spec or why would they feel it doesn't meet it?

Interested also since Chevron Delo XLE 15W-40 meets 228.51....and is only "semi-synthetic" - under $12/gallon on amazon.

This along with the low TBN disappointed me about the T6 15W-40 specs. Expected more.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Originally Posted by Brian553

Interested also since Chevron Delo XLE 15W-40 meets 228.51....and is only "semi-synthetic" - under $12/gallon on amazon.

This along with the low TBN disappointed me about the T6 15W-40 specs. Expected more.

+1

Originally Posted by justinbrum
would you have a suggestion for oil to replace the t6 syn 15w40 then?

Looking at specs, I could not find any spec that the Chevron Delo XLE 15W-40 was not better in.

Having to change it every 6 months to abide with the FCA warranty, I don't see the TBN being a big issue. The low ash for the DPF, synthetic and 15w40. Thinking about going to just a good dino in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back