Rotella T6 15w40 not 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wednesday morning we are leaving on a 12 day trip to Glacier, Alberta.... swinging around through Oregon and back to Colorado. All said and done, it will be somewhere between 4k-4,200 miles.

2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4
2018 Wolf Pup 18TO
2016 Honda VFR1200X (in the pickup bed)

Every time we hit an RV park, we will unload the bike and tour the area 2-up. So all the Ecodiesel miles will be pulling the camper with a 650lb bike in the bed.

But.... I changed the oil in the truck today, 1,500 early on my normal OCI. And yep.... we are going to give T6 15w40 a go.... I will run the OCI 11,500miles to catch up to my 10k OCI's..... and I have decided to do the Blackstone hassle.... but I am really curious how this oil will perform. Unfortunately, this is riding season and I do a lot of miles on my bikes, so I might not get to the next change for 7-8 months.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I made the switch from Rotella T6 5w-40 to Rotella T6 15w-40 in May just before a trip to Utah. While in Utah my truck was dripping oil on my friends gravel parking area. By the time I got home it seams to have stopped dripping. It never seemed to move off the full mark on the stick though. I observed oil temps a couple degrees hotter than with the 5w-40, same as I had observed with T4 15-40 previously. I am not saying the new oil caused a leak, just a curious coincidence.
Based on my experience, I am going back to T6 5w-40 next oil change.

My area Walmart's.... half a dozen of them, haven't been able to keep stock. Likely, they are just receiving very little of it. Finally, on Monday, I bounced into WallyWorld and hooray... the shelf was loaded and full. I went ahead and purchased 2 gallons.

This is going to be the primary oil for most of my motorcycles.

Last edited:
15w40 Synthetic ? T6 with a higher Noack than dino version Delo and Delvac ?
(which are now GII+) at $12/gallon

Hi @SavagePatch, thanks for pointing out this typo our technical data sheet. Shell Rotella T6 15W-40 is, in fact, a full synthetic. It is formulated with 100% synthetic base oils. We have now changed the technical data sheets to accurately represent the information. -The Shell Rotella Team

Originally Posted by ChrisGuerrero
Hi @SavagePatch, thanks for pointing out this typo our technical data sheet. Shell Rotella T6 15W-40 is, in fact, a full synthetic. It is formulated with 100% synthetic base oils. We have now changed the technical data sheets to accurately represent the information. -The Shell Rotella Team

thumbsup2.gif
Thank you!

Originally Posted by ChrisGuerrero

Hi Chris, any chance you can tell me if there's a similar product in the Rimula series? We don't have Rotella products here in Pakistan, so I'm curious.

Originally Posted by justinbrum
any more info or thoughts on this stuff?

I wish it was not so much more expensive than the T6 5W40....

Originally Posted by tundraotto

It's 19.97 at my local Walmart.

Good luck!

yeah its pretty much the same cost here i belive.

Originally Posted by Onetor

It's 19.97 at my local Walmart.

Good luck!

Thanks! I see it is on rollback pricing now so much better - still seems expensive for a gallon. Maybe I'm just too cheap.

Menards near me has the 15w40 T6 for $19.97 normally plus occasional in store rebates. Last week when I was getting my 5W40 they had $5 in store rebate on both weights of T6. I just keep using the in store rebates on more oil when I need it.

Rotella t6 15w 40 is the oil I plan on using this summer in my Kubota l3560.I am new to diesal engines and bought several gallons of Mobil delvac extreme in 10w30.Its supposed to be a full synthetic. After reading about mobile voa compared to Rotella voa it sounds like Rotella is the gold standard . I use Mobil synthetic in my vehicles but I am not dogmatic about using it in the tractor. I did see Rt6 15w40 at a local Walmart.Se Kansas.

Any oil analysis on this oil yet? I'm about to change the oil in my Duramax with it. I'll run uoa and post results but it won't be for several months

It's almost as if they left something on the table, from the VOA's with this new T6 15W-40.

Maybe for the next "re-formulation"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back