Rotella T4 and T6 Are Back "SN" Rated

Was in Tractor Supply today and checked out their supply of HDEO and low and behold the "SN" designation is back on the Rotella T4 and T5 15w-40 gallon jugs! I noticed the "SN" disappeared from the Blue and white jug Rotella when the Rotella Truck Oil in the red bottles was being marketed. Since that line of oils apparently failed, it looks like Shell reformulated the original Rotella and made some of the grades "All Fleet" for gas and diesel engines.

Reactions: SR5
Was in Tractor Supply today and checked out their supply of HDEO and low and behold the "SN" designation is back on the Rotella T4 and T5 15w-40 gallon jugs! I noticed the "SN" disappeared from the Blue and white jug Rotella when the Rotella Truck Oil in the red bottles was being marketed. Since that line of oils apparently failed, it looks like Shell reformulated the original Rotella and made some of the grades "All Fleet" for gas and diesel engines.

Shame they didn’t try to make rotella T4 10w30 SN 🤬🤬🤬

Reactions: SR5
Shame they didn’t try to make rotella T4 10w30 SN 🤬🤬🤬
I noticed the T5 Syn Blend 10w-30 was not marked "SN". Generally from what I have seen, if it is marked CK-4, the oil will not be marked "SN".

Noticed it last summer on valvoline 15w40 and rotElla t4 15w-40. Amsoil 10w-30 is also sn rated

Apparently the Rotella website hasn't been updated yet. Nothing on the website mentions "SN" ratings anywhere.

Here are links to two Rotella technical data sheets from Shell (pdf).

Shell Rotella T4 15W40 synblend is API CK-4 and SN (Date 22/5/2024).
Shell Rotella T4 10W30 synblend is API CK-4 (Date 5/6/2024).

I wouldn't have any problems using either in an older car. But I suspect that most motorcycle users will only use the 15W40 in their bikes, and this is the market Shell are going for, as it has a bit of a following in that application. Notice too the 15W40 is also JASO MA, MA2 rated for wet clutch bikes, while the 10W30 doesn't carry this.

Edit: Both the 10W30 and 15W40 say in their documents "Hard working diesel and gasoline engines. Suitable for ....... SUVs, mini-vans and motorcycles."

Last edited:
Back