Rotella Gas Truck 0w20 14 Honda Civic R18Z1 11407k OCI

Overall I'm happy, but curious what you guys think of the TBN 2.1 seams low compared to the Mobil 1 I ran before. Also phosphorus and zinc seam high to me when I compare this to other UOA of Rotella gas truck. Thanks

94k_honda.png

The sample seems good. Nothing way out of whack that I see. You are correct that P & Zn do seem higher than other RGT UOA's.

The most shocking thing to me is the RGT TBN with only 2,400 miles more on the oil. The Mobil 1 could have gone a lot longer with a 7.3 rating, the 2.1 on the RGT is near the end of its life. What was the driver to go to RGT?

Umm...so the TBN is kind of irrelevant if you're getting good wear numbers...which you are...better than the Mobil 1, or at least the same.

Here is my previous post, on same engine, on same oil, with WIX analysis:

I'd keep doing what you're doing with RGT

Umm...so the TBN is kind of irrelevant if you're getting good wear numbers...which you are...better than the Mobil 1, or at least the same.

Here is my previous post, on same engine, on same oil, with WIX analysis:

I'd keep doing what you're doing with RGT

Thanks for the insight, what were you spiking your Z/P with while using the idemitsu oil?
Its interesting to me that my zinc was 1262 and yours was 862. Not an issue obviously.

The sample seems good. Nothing way out of whack that I see. You are correct that P & Zn do seem higher than other RGT UOA's.

The most shocking thing to me is the RGT TBN with only 2,400 miles more on the oil. The Mobil 1 could have gone a lot longer with a 7.3 rating, the 2.1 on the RGT is near the end of its life. What was the driver to go to RGT?

I was curious to try the RGT after seeing some really good UOA with it in the R18Z1 engine. One of the UOA had only 3ppm AL and 6ppm iron after 10,360 miles. All probably negligible but curiosity....

I spiked Z/P with Rislone Engine Oil Supplement Concentrate with Zinc Treatment.
Unless your adding something to the oil, i might suggest you tell the lab those numbers don't seem right.

I'm not following. After 9K miles, the previous TBN was still 7.3?? That has to be a mistake.

I agree...that just can't be correct and the TBN for the RGT seems more in line with what I would expect for a 11407 mile run.

I just did an oil sample of RGT 0W20 and didn't see zddp numbers like that. I ran my oil 4750. I think they might have gave you someone else's sample.

Overall I'm happy, but curious what you guys think of the TBN 2.1 seams low compared to the Mobil 1 I ran before. Also phosphorus and zinc seam high to me when I compare this to other UOA of Rotella gas truck. Thanks

View attachment 26469

Thanks for posting.
I am very curious about how often the valves are adjusted,
as a used HRV is on my short list.
Great engine.
Be happy with this UOA.

Thanks for posting.
I am very curious about how often the valves are adjusted,
as a used HRV is on my short list.
Great engine.
Be happy with this UOA.
I adjusted the valves for the first time at 89K should have done it earlier. A few exhaust valves were tight.
I just did an oil sample of RGT 0W20 and didn't see zddp numbers like that. I ran my oil 4750. I think they might have gave you someone else's sample.
I'm not sure if it was residual from zddp additives I've used in the past. (zddp plus and lucas zddp)

I would not worry about TBN.
With a high quality synthetic such as RGT 0W20,
it would hover around 2 for a while.
Oxidative thickening is always my greater concern.

Is that SN+? Calcium level is not what I would have expected.

Also that TBN for the M1 is similar to a VOA using the Hard Base Test. It's not what I would have expected after 9,000 mi.

Engine oil capacity is only 3.1 qts or is that a typo in the report? Thanks.
Typo I wrote 3.9 on the slip I shipped to the lab.
I think that is incorrect, but it isn't far from that...maybe 3.9qts is what google says
Normally takes exactly 4qts, I drain the filter even when I don't change it.
I would not worry about TBN.
With a high quality synthetic such as RGT 0W20,
it would hover around 2 for a while.
Oxidative thickening is always my greater concern.
Good to know about the TBN.
My first sample I sent to blackstone and mobil synthetic 5w20 sheared down to 6.9
I think this engine with it's timing chain appreciates an oil with more moly.
Is that SN+? Calcium level is not what I would have expected.

Also that TBN for the M1 is similar to a VOA using the Hard Base Test. It's not what I would have expected after 9,000 mi.
Yes it is an SN+, the calcium and zddp both seem elevated to me.
I'm curious if there is a VOA showing what the TBN starts at.

Back