Rotella 5W-40 CI vs. JASO MA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep seeing Rotella 5W-40 (and it's still CI, until CJ actually replaces it) mentioned as an option for motorcycles. I'm sure it's a good oil, but I'm wondering about this:

Even Shell acknowledges that technically it's not suitable for motorcycles because its higher ash content. This is the reason Shell says it doesn't meet JASO MA. I'm sure that Rotella has a lot of good stuff in it as far as anti-wear & high-pressure/anti shear additives, but how about that detail?

Originally Posted By: tmcafe
Shell acknowledges that technically it's not suitable for motorcycles because its higher ash content.

Not quite true ... they acknowledge that because of the higher ash content it does not meet JASO MA. That is indeed true -- the JASO spec calls for ash to be 1.2% or lower. The Rotella CI-4 Plus comes in at 1.47%.

But saying something does not meet a certain specification is different from saying it is "not suitable" for motorcycles.

What Shell is doing is being very careful how they word their statements. If a motorcycle manufacturer cites JASO MA as a requirement for the oil to be used, then Shell citing the failure to meet JASO MA gives Shell legal cover. Elsewhere on the Rotella website you'll see them say "refer to the manufacturer's specification" over and over again -- for motorcycles, cars and heavy equipment manufacturers.

Without coming right out and saying, "Use our oil for your motorcycles," Shell in many places acknowledges the suitability of Rotella for motorcycles.

And about a billion miles of motorcycle user testimonials will tell you that Rotella works just fine in motorcycles.

I'm sure that Rotella has a lot of good stuff in it as far as anti-wear & high-pressure/anti shear additives

Rotella is a very good oil. I've used it in my Goldwing for 10K miles and three UOAs show good numbers:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1091920#Post1091920

By the way, I'm nearly certain the new CJ-4 15W-40 Rotella meets JASO-MA. Earlier I had sleuthed around trying to figure it out on my own. Here's what I found:

API Certification
JASO MA requires: SG, SH, SJ, SL or SM
Rotella 15W-40 TP has: SH, SJ, SL and SM
Meets specification

Sulfated Ash
JASO MA requires: no more than 1.2% of mass
Rotella 15W-40 TP has: 1.0% of mass
Meets specification

Phosphorus
JASO MA requires: between 0.08% of mass and 0.12% of mass
Rotella 15W-40 TP has: 0.0989% of mass
Meets specification

High Temperature High Shear
JASO MA requires: 2.9 mPa-s
Rotella 15W-40 TP has: 4.1 mPa-s
Meets specification

Shortly thereafter I got an e-mail from Shell saying they'd set up the test for the friction test and it passed.

That leaves three criteria I don't know for certain:

1 - Evaporative loss (JASO MA: 20% max)
2 - Foaming tendency (JASO MA: Seq I - 10/0 max; Seq II - 50/0 max; Seq III - 10/0 max)
3 - Shear stability (JASO MA: 12.0 mm2/s for xxW-40 weight)

But ... here's the key ... before CJ-4 Shell knew for certain it failed to meet JASO MA based on the ash alone. So they didn't bother with the friction test. But they decided to spend the time and effort ... which tells me they know something about those final three.

Meaning -- I'd be willing to bet it (the CJ-4 oil) meets JASO MA now.

Thanks for the info. I guess the current Rotella 15W-40 CJ meets JASO MA, even if unofficially.

But what I was wondering is why the JASO standard sets the sulphated ash max at that value. And usually the best products are as far from the max. allowed values as possible--it's the "exceeds" vs. just "meets". Not sure what higher ash content means for the engine. Again, I assume the max set by JASO is really the threshold value.

The other thing is how oils that meet SH stack up against SG. What's the difference between SG and SH. Why is it that some suspect that m/c oils should still be SG rated? Yes, part of it is the percentage of anti-wear. So what makes SH not meet SG? Why is it that even top of the line m/c oils still clearly state that they meet SG?

Last edited:
Trust me if any one knows about Rotella, its Don. He is in love with this oil, as many others are, and for good reason.

banana2.gif

TBut what I was wondering is why the JASO standard sets the sulphated ash max at that value. And usually the best products are as far from the max. allowed values as possible--it's the "exceeds" vs. just "meets". Not sure what higher ash content means for the engine. Again, I assume the max set by JASO is really the threshold value.

From the Rotella website: "Oil ash contributes to combustion chamber and spark plug deposits." But that begs the question, as you allude to, why an oil company would simply "meet" the 1.2% and not exceed it by a wide margin.

I found this to be the answer why: "A noncombustible motor oil residue resulting from detergents and metallic additives." In other words, ash is a function of the additive package.

If you browse around this site you'll find again and again references to how oil additive formulas is really a tricky balancing act. It's not simply a matter of loading up on Zinc or Phosphorus as too much of those can be harmful in other areas of oil performance. I'm sure they could make an oil with an ash level approaching 0%, but that would imply a greatly reduced level of detergents and metallic additives. You'd have a low-ash oil that performed like ... well, not well.
wink.gif

The JASO spec for ash is 1.2%, and the new Rotella 15W-40 CJ-4 comes in at 1.0%. I'm pretty sure Shell's primary objective was not to meet and slightly exceed the JASO spec ... their primary market is trucks, and I think the new regulations on Diesel emissions is what drove them. Meeting JASO is just a happy byproduct of their trucker market quest.

The other thing is how oils that meet SH stack up against SG. What's the difference between SG and SH. Why is it that some suspect that m/c oils should still be SG rated? Yes, part of it is the percentage of anti-wear. So what makes SH not meet SG? Why is it that even top of the line m/c oils still clearly state that they meet SG?

Good questions ... and ones I can't answer. It's always baffled me how an oil can SJ, SL and SM (or SH and SG) ... at the same time. Apparently there's a way to meet the newer, presumably more stringent specification and still meet the older. I don't know enough about the specifications to know how that's possible.

I think the emphasis on SG for motorcycles is the perception that the higher levels of Zn and Ph in those oils is critical for motorcycles. I'm not so sure of that, but I'll leave it to others to argue the pros and cons. Certainly not for my bike -- a Goldwing -- whose engine behaves more like an Accord than a Hyabusa.

I'm not sure of this -- but I'd love to know more -- but I think the newer oils (CJ-4 / SM) require specific refining techniques and better base stocks. That *may* explain the SG to some degree -- it's easier and cheaper to get. I could be wrong on that ... pure speculation on my part.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
Trust me if any one knows about Rotella, its Don. He is in love with this oil, as many others are, and for good reason.

I seized on Rotella as a kind of new hobby to explore and understand. I could just as easily have settled on Delvac or Delo for that matter. Or Wal-Mart SuperTech ... an oil that Sunruh (from this site) says good things about.

Lots of people wonder why Shell isn't more aggressive in marketing to the motorcycle market. My view is that right now they're perfectly happy with the "cult" status and the word of mouth advertising (like this post) they get. Fleet and heavy equipment is their primary market, and their marketing message is squarely focused on it. Emphasizing motorcycles would dilute that message. So they stay focused on trucks, and allow crazy people like me to talk up Rotella for motorcycles.

Last edited:
Don - Have you read this one?

Somewhere down about page 55.

API Specifications

I always that there was no difference between the foaming requirements for JASO MA and API SJ/SL/SM.

Well it wouldn't be the first time that I was wrong..... or am I?
21.gif

What do you think?

Just generally, I thought that if it was SJ/SL/SM/whatever and met the JASO MA friction test then it was basically, well, comparable to a real-no-kidding JASO MA oil.

I said that right, didn't I?
grin2.gif

Last edited:
From what I know -- and I'm by no means an expert -- the JASO standard specifies a certain API as a starting point, then tightens some of the specifications. Foaming may be one of them. The friction test is one that absolutely is different ... that was the reason for the original formulation of JASO I understand: because the automotive oils were adding friction modifiers and upsetting wet clutches.

Fascinating document. Looking at just the Ph requirements for SG, SJ, SL and SM for a 10W-30:

SG - .12% max
SJ - .10% max
SL - .10% max
SM - .08% max, .06% min

So for a 10W-30 to be SM, SL, SJ and SG simultaneously all it would have to do (for this one measurement) is fall between .06% and .08%. That would meet SM, and by extension the others.

Note: of course Ph level is but one of many measurements. I use this only as an example.

They may well be the same as the JASO MA ... and if so, that would imply the JASO folks simply said, "The API foaming tendency specs are good enough for us!"

There are many on this site who think JASO is a bunch of hooey. I tend to think there's something to that line of thinking ... it's a somewhat artificial specification ... a good API oil with no friction modifiers is essentially JASO, near as I can figure.

That's why I don't worry too much about Rotella in my Wing. :)

Of course, I'm now ashamed to admit I've got Mobil 1 Motorcycle in it right now. Silly me. But it's back to Rotella at the next change.

Originally Posted By: TucsonDon
Of course, I'm now ashamed to admit I've got Mobil 1 Motorcycle in it right now. Silly me. But it's back to Rotella at the next change.

So what do you think of that what? MX4T? Is the shifting any better/worse?

I've been running (last 15k) M1 5w30 auto oil (silver cap) in my '07 Wing. You know it's the "energy conserving" variety. Trying to see if the clutch will slip. We're about 375lbs combined, plus the trailer. So far, so good. Just an experiment.
grin2.gif

At first I found the MX4T (called just "4T" now, I think) to be no better or no worse than Rotella when it came to shifting.

Lately -- last 500 miles -- the shifting has settled back to a nice shift. Still notchy at times, but okay.

A 5W-30 energy conserving oil, huh? And things okay? It makes me think nearly all of the talk in the owners manual about this weight and not-EC, and JASO-this ... all CYA.

Thanks, good comments. I don't know about Goldwing, but I do have common engine & clutch oil in one bike. OTOH in the V11, which has separate oil for tranny, Guzzi has been recommending 5W-40. There's a theory that they went to this recommendation after they started using hydro valves on the Cali's, though you wonder why they would change the recommendation for the V11 sport when the engine was unchanged. Before that they had recommended 20W-50--good-ol' aircooled twin standard. In the new V11s--Breva, Griso, Norge, they recommend 10W-60! (very little changes from the older V11).

Anyway, I wonder what would be the benefit of 5W40 in the V11 Sport. Perhaps better mpg? Since m/c oils in that grade aren't many, Rotella 5W-40 is an appealing choice.

Last edited:
Hey guy's very new here and am thinking of putting this oil in my bike an 08 gsx650f, only thing is rotella is sold as a 2 stroke deisel oil here (40 DD) . So i am thinking rotella in the US and rimula in oz is the same ?? any suggestions please

Rotella is a mixed fleet diesel oil. (can be used in gasoline engines too).
Shell may change the name in other countries.
If the back panel says diesel and gas engines (auto, light truck, medium duty trucks) you should be good as long as the viscosity is what you need.

I figured as much on the name thing done a fair bit of research today and bought a 25 litre drum of it. thanks for the help

regards

jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back