Roof damage

The damage may be more than what you see from the ground. If there are missing shingles its likely that some of the remaining shingles are also damaged but still on the roof. The only way to know is to have someone knowledgeable walk the roof. Anything short of that is guessing at best. One or two missing tabs may be repairable but any more than that and youre just putting a bandaid on a large wound. I have laid thousands of square of shingles over the years and done a lot of repairs. FWIW.

Roofing prices are high because material prices have skyrocketed and labor is in short supply, unfortunately thats the America we live in right now.

I think I explained my reasoning sufficiently, and it is not incorrect for this area. Thanks for responding.
It would be in his best interest to consult a couple good roofers for their opinion than to listen to us bystanders who assume and cannot get close up and personal with his actual roof.

How old is your old roof and what kind of shingles [ Quality and years of expectedlife] are on the roof?

What kind of shingles is there now?
The 3 tab shingles (cheapest) are notorious for blowing off without any reason.
They are only hold with 3 nails as supposed to 5 to 6 nails for the architectural shingles.

Get a good roofer to go up together with the adjuster.
The roofer can become your advocate to get you more money because the roofer wants to get more money too.
Of course, the money does not go to you but there is better chance to get you a better installed roof with more settlement money.
Never put 3 tab shingles. If it is 3 tab shingles now, get an upgrade.
Here in TX, GAF is the good shingles.

The price of everything in the aggregates and commodities markets are highly unstable. It’s gotten a little better but it’s still not what anyone would consider normal. It’s tougher on the smaller contractors that have less volume and buying power. And Residential is all small contractors. They will price up a job and by the time they close the deal the price of material could’ve gone up. Then they get stuck with the adjustment. So what people are doing now is over pricing to cover any price adjustments. Worst case it’s covered, best case they just pocket the difference. It sucks, but I can’t really say I blame them. They have to keep the bills paid and lights on too.

It’s not lazy. It’s just the way that it is. If anyone thinks it’s easy they should try to predict the price of gas in two weeks within 2% and see how close they are. Then do that every two week for a year. I bet they’ll be wrong more times then they are right. Now imagine your mortgage payment hinges on that prediction.
I get price adjustments but my dad and I did some calculations on labor rates how many workers, time to complete the job and materials. A couple of roofers were quoting a 400% mark up! There's making money and price gouging. One roofer quoted $15k another $55 k for the same job same materials.

I get price adjustments but my dad and I did some calculations on labor rates how many workers, time to complete the job and materials. A couple of roofers were quoting a 400% mark up! There's making money and price gouging. One roofer quoted $15k another $55 k for the same job same materials.
Well, that’s not the only thing involved in calculations, there are overhead costs for buildings and offices, administrative cost for payroll and such, transportation costs, taxes and insurance, some locations require permitting, fees and paperwork, etc. You cannot look at the cost of running a business so simply. Or you will go out of business. But no doubt some people are taking a vantage of it. As always buyer beware.

Just got my first of 5 estimates... 10,000 bucks.. They use TAMKO shingles rated to 150 mph...10G that hurts a bit but will see how the other estimates before hiring...

18yrs is up there in age for a shingle roof in most any climate. Can you go over what you have with a metal roof? Any Amish outfits in your area that do metal roofs?

Back