Rolling Coal...a perpetual annoyance

Rolling coal is the new burning rubber. Keep on truckin'!
Keep on truckin', rolling coal, and or burning rubber at you own risk. Any accidents or tickets connected to such activities are not the responsibility of TheLawnRanger or anyone using said internet handle/username. Always drive responsibly when on public or private roads, highways, byways, driveways, streets, or other unmentioned thoroughfares. The life you save may be your own or that of some other person or entity. Inhaling coal/rubber fumes can be hazardous to your health and may cause cancer in the state of California.

My 981 burbles and pops occasionally on downshifts. I kinda like it, comes this way stock from factory.

Same here, mommy and daddy money or around here we have several that have a diesel pickup that the probably paid 40g for, put 20k or more into it, as and they live in a barely habitable shack or old broken down trailer.

Recently one of the locals that have a bro dozer had a condemned sticker slapped on the front door by the health department. It takes alot to get to that point around here..... they must have spent all of thier money on pickup trucks and forgot your house should have water..... but if your going to haul water to your shack might as well do it in a diesel bro dozer because if not are you really "country"?

There was someone up the road from me who had a bro'd out F250 (aluminum truck , so new). 40'' tires on 20'' wheels. Apparently they could only afford to lift the front. But the truck was taller than the shack they were living in!

Priorities I guess.

There was someone up the road from me who had a bro'd out F250 (aluminum truck , so new). 40'' tires on 20'' wheels. Apparently they could only afford to lift the front. But the truck was taller than the shack they were living in!

Priorities I guess.
I actually think the front only lift is on purpose. At least I have seen quite a few of the bro trucks done that way. Perhaps like you said they run out of money but I have seen enough of them to think otherwise.

It's the squat look, combining a lift of the front with a low rider kit on the back. It is one of the stupidest things ever. You can't see where you're going, especially at night since the headlights are up looking for UFOs.

Remember this? Maybe coal rollers can add this for full effect. The whistles go Whoo Whoo !

Deleting emissions equipment is illegal. Yes, plenty of people do it, and if you aren't obnoxious about it, nobody is probably going to care

I think this is key too and perhaps a "dividing line" on the issue of rolling coal vs. modding in general.

Outside of California(where anything newer than 73 still gets a full smog test+visual inspection of the emissions equipment) how many people still have a catalytic converter on their carbureted cars?

I can't pretend to be squeaky clean as my MG is pre-cat, but is missing the EGR/Smog pump/AIR rail-they weren't on the car when I bought it and I've never had a reason to track them down. Those parts aren't available aftermarket, the ones scavenged from cars in other states(smog pumps have a nasty tendency to seize) often make their way to keeping 74-80 California MGs alive.

My car never had an evaporative loss system(people will argue with me until they're blue in the face that it should have it, but only cars destined for west coast import got them in 70, where all US imports got them in 71). It's a common thing to delete, though, even though I don't quite "get" that one as it's a passive system that doesn't hurt performance and keeps your garage from smelling like gasoline.

I do have my crankcase ventilation system intact(not PCV system, as there's no PCV valve-the oil separator is plumbed directly into the carbs) but there again it's a common delete. Actually, deleting is necessary with certain aftermarket carbs-Webers in particular-since they don't have a provision for them. Aside from that, though, I've never understood getting rid of it as it doesn't hurt performance and is good for both the environment and your engine.

Still, though, as you said, no one really is going to notice any of this stuff unless they pop the hood. I actually use an exhaust gas analyzer(simple one, more advanced home mechanic grade from the 70s/80s) and make sure the AF mixture at idle is where it should be. That has a dual benefit as the car runs better and the emissions are lowest. SUs can actually meter more accurately at under different amounts of airflow than fixed venturi carbs, but still they're far from perfect and also have their downsides when it comes to emissions. My car doesn't belch smoke, doesn't run obnoxiously rich, and overall is a "good citizen" on the road for a 1970 car.

I worked for a while with a guy who dailied a 95 F350. It wasn't modified, just kept in good condition and fixed when it needed to be fixed. If he really layed on it, it MIGHT belch a bit of smoke. You could hear and feel the turbo lag that probably caused that to happen. Otherwise, though, I'm sure it was spewing plenty of SOx and soot, and it smelled like a diesel when it was running, but it didn't "roll coal."

I'm sure many of you are familiar with "rolling coal"-where basically diesel pickups are modified so that either on-demand or during acceleration they belch big thick clouds of black smoke.

I had one today that was a new one on me. It was a nice day, and I was out tooling around on some country roads at 45-55 topless in the MG-in other words perfect timing and conditions for it.

I went through a small town, and as we're leaving two lanes merge into one. I'm in the left lane(which is the one that "continues" rather than merging, if that makes sense), and ahead of me in the right lane is a lifted "Brodozer"

I slowed down and motioned for the driver to get over, which they did without hesitation. It was lifted enough that my car could have nearly fit under it, and frankly I'd rather them in front of me than behind.

In any case, the truck gets over, and the next second I'm enveloped in a cloud of soot that's coming from the truck's tailpipe. I can't see, I'm coughing, and when things finally clear there's gray/black soot EVERYWHERE on me and the car.

No idea what I did to provoke that, but it's the first time I've had someone direct this stupid practice at me personally. Aside from being a nuisance, it's frankly dangerous, or at least I felt it in that situation.

Unfortunately, unless the police catch them(yes, my state does have a law against it) I'm guessing there's nothing that can be done.
Yeah, some people think its cool to do it at a hybrid or a convertible. Its a shame too because they either dont realize or just dont care that all they are doing is creating negative public perception towards diesels and theyre going to get regulated out of existence or just outright banned one day.

Yeah, some people think its cool to do it at a hybrid or a convertible. Its a shame too because they either dont realize or just dont care that all they are doing is creating negative public perception towards diesels and theyre going to get regulated out of existence or just outright banned one day.
I can't say I haven't been tempted to puff the random Prius hogging the fast lane at 55mph.
However - my strength is the strength of 10, because my heart is pure.
Looking forward - it'll be roll coalers who are slapped down.
OTR trucks that feed North 'Merkah, not so much.

I can't say I haven't been tempted to puff the random Prius hogging the fast lane at 55mph.
However - my strength is the strength of 10, because my heart is pure.
Looking forward - it'll be roll coalers who are slapped down.
OTR trucks that feed North 'Merkah, not so much.
Every time Ive seen someone roll coal at a Prius, the Prius was either sitting at a stoplight or they did it for no reason when the light turned green. Im yet to see someone do it for any other reasons than to just be a jerk.
What will happen is that anything smaller than a medium duty it will simple be regulated out of existence. Anything smaller than medium duty will be forced to meet emissions, just like everything else does and for diesels thats probably not realistic. IMO, hybrid trucks and going to make diesels obsolete and irrelevant anyways but the coal rollers certainly arent going to help the situation.

Every time Ive seen someone roll coal at a Prius, the Prius was either sitting at a stoplight or they did it for no reason when the light turned green. Im yet to see someone do it for any other reasons than to just be a jerk.
What will happen is that anything smaller than a medium duty it will simple be regulated out of existence. Anything smaller than medium duty will be forced to meet emissions, just like everything else does and for diesels thats probably not realistic. IMO, hybrid trucks and going to make diesels obsolete and irrelevant anyways but the coal rollers certainly arent going to help the situation.
Smile.
I’ll pay for the stitches.

FWIW, I didn't realize that convertibles were also targets for rolling coal. Not that it's okay for anything, but I guess, aside from Priuses, the target is anyone who just happens to be in a position to get "smoked" the most.

Fortunately the car is now clean. I have ashtma and the incident in the OP left me pretty miserable for the rest of the day. Fortunately mine's not so bad that it caused a full blow ashtma attack(I've never had one-mostly just the wheezing/coughing from airway obstruction) but I did need a few puffs of albuterol that afternoon/evening(and I rarely use that inhaler more than once a month).

These coal rollers must cause a lot of road rage I'd imagine. Doing their little childish stunt to the wrong guy probably isn't going to turn out good.

Back