Roller Coaster scare ... A Minor Crack!

My guess, Chinese steel (if it is in fact steel) . This stuff does not happen with quality steel. Steel bends, twists, buckles and generally withstands everything you can throw at it before cracking. And generally fatigue cracks in steel are not quite so simple looking on a complex part. They will often (but not always) have a very ragged look.
Pretty ragged crack, but it has been growing for quite some time. I would not even call it a crack as a separation really, the two parts are completely separated.

Been on that one several times.

The Type 56 is regarded as one of the world best Kalashnikov rifles. It is Chinese steel.

Definitely material failure though, agreed, but perhaps not only material failure, as the moment seems to be at the weakest point of the structure. The crack started at the junction of the two columns under the flange.

Any engineers chime in on this?

Last edited:
What most likely happened was that tubular structure was hastily welded together by the lowest bidder with no care for the heat affected zone around the weld.

Just... No.

The vendor who has been the sole-fabricator of this ride manufacture for literally 30+ years is not the 'lowest bidder', nor does the ride manufacture even bid out this work. They are the ONLY fabricator doing this work for this company, which include propriety processes to make this specific track. The ride designer is based in Switzerland, while the steel fabricator is Ohio. No matter where the world the ride is going, it's made at the same fabricator. All the track, support columns, catwalks and any other steel parts. Since 1990, they have produced around 124 coasters.

I'm pretty sure they are more highly qualified than anybody else at this work. Not to say mistakes can't happen, but the track record from these guys is second to none. B&M, the ride designer, is known industry wide for being THE best engineered, most reliable and 'safe' attractions a park can purchase a ride from (and they pay a high dollar for them, too, compared to others).

Anyway...

From around the grapevine, a main theory right now is foundation issues. Specifically, that the foundation may have settled/shifted inappropriately causing stresses in the support column that overly stressed the welded joint. But once the repair is made, we should have a better idea... If the column is repaired/replaced, the support itself is redesigned or they actually repair the foundation. So time will tell.

Last edited:
Just... No.

The vendor who has been the sole-fabricator of this ride manufacture for literally 30+ years is not the 'lowest bidder', nor does the ride manufacture even bid out this work. They are the ONLY fabricator doing this work for this company, which include propriety processes to make this specific track. The ride designer is based in Switzerland, while the steel fabricator is Ohio. No matter where the world the ride is going, it's made at the same fabricator. All the track, support columns, catwalks and any other steel parts. Since 1990, they have produced around 124 coasters.

I'm pretty sure they are more highly qualified than anybody else at this work. Not to say mistakes can't happen, but the track record from these guys is second to none. B&M, the ride designer, is known industry wide for being THE best engineered, most reliable and 'safe' attractions a park can purchase a ride from (and they pay a high dollar for them, too, compared to others).

Anyway...

From around the grapevine, a main theory right now is foundation issues. Specifically, that the foundation may have settled/shifted inappropriately causing stresses in the support column that overly stressed the welded joint. But once the repair is made, we should have a better idea... If the column is repaired/replaced, the support itself is redesigned or they actually repair the foundation. So time will tell.

I was a pipe welder at a nuclear power plant for 5 years on the anaconda team. I did a lot of critical path welds from 1/2" stainless pipe in the reactor cavity and spend rod pool to 120" steam pipe. They all had to pass x-ray with zero room for error. No porosity, no undercut, no inclusions, complete fusion, minimal cap height, pre and post heat treatment, etc... No tolerance whatsoever. Even a 1/32" spec of undercut in a 120" pipe will fail inspection. I know all about qualifications for welding pipe.

Their standard for the amusement park can't be very good. Have you actually looked at those welds? Most all of them look like hammered dog poo. Tons of cold lap and undercut. Given the appearance, I'm sure there's no inspection points either, much less x-ray, heat treatment, etc... I'd be surprised if they even magnaflux it.

If you look at where that crack is in that joint, it split right from that heat affected zone. I've seen that kind of failure multiple times. Improper heat treatment around the weld can cause the base material in the heat affected zone to crystalize and become brittle making it prone to cracking.

Ride mechanic discusses the crack and brings up a point I haven't really seen mentioned. That the pylons that the ride is sitting on could have sunk/shifted causing a stress fracture.

It's an interesting 10 min of video.

Ride mechanic discusses the crack and brings up a point I haven't really seen mentioned. That the pylons that the ride is sitting on could have sunk/shifted causing a stress fracture.
I've heard from some insiders that several well-loved rides at Kings Island were removed for this very reason over the years.

Back in the 90's I worked in a building very close to the park where I could look out my window and see the workers walking the tracks every morning like clockwork. I had a perfect view of the Vortex, which was taken down a few years ago. I watched them do a lot of welding on that track. I'd get in very early at sunrise and you'd see the silhouette of the workers way up on the beams and see the sparks flying around.

What most likely happened was that tubular structure was hastily welded together by the lowest bidder with no care for the heat affected zone around the weld. The standards for welds on those things are really relaxed. You can have tons of slag inclusions, undercut, and cold lap and still get a pass. They slapped some weld on it, no heat treatment, and undercut or cold lapped the weld, causing a stress point with brittle metal surrounding it. It was probably cracked underneath from the very beginning and took enough cycles and vibrations to send the crack on through the rest of the pipe.

Learning metallurgy and welding engineering, and the practices that are allowed in some industries, has made me very weary of amusement park rides (especially carnival rides) and elevators.
Doubt it. Roller coasters are typically built at factory and parts shipped. Something went amiss here however the balance of members were able to take the load and thankfully tracks did not shift much to have an accident occur.

Things fail.

My guess, Chinese steel (if it is in fact steel) . This stuff does not happen with quality steel. Steel bends, twists, buckles and generally withstands everything you can throw at it before cracking. And generally fatigue cracks in steel are not quite so simple looking on a complex part. They will often (but not always) have a very ragged look.
Doubt a Swiss company would spec shoddy Chinese steel. Chinese can make steel as well as anyone else if QA is there.

As a counterpoint, the agency I work for employs a team dealing with fatigue cracking in high quality steel. Even more to the point, all the steel used in our structures has to meet "Made in America" requirements due to our funding sources. (To put two and two together, think about how many steel bridges you drive over daily - more of them have fatigue cracking than you'd suspect) As much as we'd like to press an "easy" button here, its a bit early.

FWIW, the coaster in this case is steel, and was fabricated by a firm in Ohio, with the engineering provided by the Swiss coaster design firm.
Along those lines, back in 2011 shortly after I’d moved to Louisville, KY, they closed the I-64 bridge across the river at 5:00 on a Friday afternoon due to the discovery of what they called a critical structural crack.

The claim was that the crack had likely been there since the bridge was built in the 1960s. I doubt there was any Chinese steel in it!

That was quite an ordeal for the 5 months it took them to fix it.

Reactions: JC1
I think it got worse. A news clip showed people riding the rollercoaster. As it entered the loop the whole support shifted at the crack
Unbelievable.
That's old news, been around for days.

Really nice the park doesn't acknowledge that a patron reported this:

"Carowinds closed Fury 325 after park personnel became aware of a crack"

No mention or credit to the patron.

That's old news, been around for days.

Really nice the park doesn't acknowledge that a patron reported this:

"Carowinds closed Fury 325 after park personnel became aware of a crack"

No mention or credit to the patron.
Even crazier that a park guest had to point it out to someone.

Pretty amazing, I’m glad there wasn’t a failure and no one got hurt.
It will keep the daring excitement in coasters for sure!
I love them and that excitement of possible failure. Yeah I know I’m crazy.🤪
When I get on a coaster or sling shot, I say to myself, the odds are slim to none for that one ride that I will be on the coaster during a malfunction.

I firmly believe a car ride to the amusement park is much more dangerous than any ride, at least that’s what I told myself as I get on one.

they closed the I-64 bridge across the river at 5:00 on a Friday afternoon
While I can't prove it, the speed with which the Tappan Zee Bridge (Hudson River, Westchester to Rockland Counties) was condemned and its replacement built suggested to everyone that the steel was in terrible shape.

Reactions: JC1
Back