Rolex price increases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am curious if anyone has kept track of typical Rolex price increases year to year... either average or by model.

I prefer my omega seamaster to the submariner, but I am interested in obtaining a two-tone datejust for more formal occasions.

Obviously they made some nice upgrades on these watches over the last year... I like the new ones a lot (the older ones with the hollow jubilee bracelet were kind of flimsy IMO), and prices have increased as a result - the upgraded feel of the watch is worth the price.

But Im curious how much the new sales price has crept up year by year, not w.r.t. 'upgrades' in the movement, bracelet, etc, but just in general, year to year...

Thanks,

JMH

I agree. The Rolex price increases are a pain. Also, have you checked the price of Caviar lately? What's a man to do?
wink.gif

Maybe wait a year or two and buy one of these new models on the used market? (mint condition, box, papers). A used Rolex holds it's value. If you sell it later, for about what you paid for it, you got free use of the watch.

In 1984 I bought a Rolex for my wife at PriceClub (later became CostCo) for $1,400. I called Leo Hamel, a San Diego Rolex dealer, about having a couple of links removed. They asked where I purchased the watch and when I told them PriceClub, they hung up on me. I stopped by their store and asked for the manager. The manager told me that PriceClub was selling the watch for the same price they paid for it and their retail price was, in his words, well over $2,500. He said he was sorry that the sales person was so rude and if I left the watch with them they would remove the links for free. I went some place else. The problem with the watch is that it's a gift my wife never plans to sell, but the apraisal for insurance this year was $5,800. So the Rolex is a lousy time piece, a good investment, and a nice piece of jewelry. And as a final note, the watch shop that removed the links, tried to keep them, said they were not worth much, once removed. I demanded them back, and later found out that those links are worth $200 a piece. In the end, with problems like that and cleaning the watch every couple of years can make owning a Rolex a real pain.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the maintenance requirements and involved cost with mechanical watches. With normal use, which means no diving, a 5 year service interval is normal. Under severe conditions like constant exposure to water, dust, and large temperature differences, a 2 year interval is indicated. Moisture is bad for oil, we all know that. That's why water-resistant watches tend to have more problems than non-water resistant watches. Condensation can escape from the latter, while it while accumulates in water-resistant watches. There are exceptions. My Sinn flight chronograph (200 m water-resistant) has an argon gas filling and a dry cartridge that absorbs residual moisture. The saturation point is indicated via a tiny porthole in the watch case. The dry medium (copper sulfate?) changes color from white to blue to indicate that the cartridge needs to be changed. The combination of gas filling and dry cartridge allows the watch to be serviced half as often as other watches. My Sinn is now 8 years old and I've had it serviced once, which cost about $200. The other method of avoiding moisture is a silicone oil filling, also done by Sinn with their special forces diving watch.

During a service all o-rings (case, pushers, crown) and gaskets (on screw-down crown) are replaced. The movement may be broken down into all its components (can be a couple hundred parts), depending on how dirty the movement is. Parts are ultrasonically cleaned, inspected for wear. Sometimes the pivot points and bearings require nothing but a bit oil (different viscosities). The watch is reassemebled and regulated (with the case open). After closing the case, water resistance is tested with one of several devices. Considering the amount of time overhauling a watch takes, the service is actually not expensive.

I've had two Submariners and an Explorer I. Now I know there better watches. Rolex are for sort of the 'new rich', really classy people wouldn't be seen dead with one (you live and learn) Jaeger-Le Coultre, Frank Muller, Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, IWC, Maurice Lacroix, Piaget, Dubey and Schaldenbrand, Eduard Piguet, Blancpain ( a favourite), Cartier, Breguet etc. Rolex well made but ostentatious in the extreme. I can wissh i guess. Now have a Seiko Kinetic the most accurate watch I've owned.

Its funny to hear the responses from people who cant afford a ROLEX , thier overpriced over rated etc. I have a 18k and stainless DATEJUST that is 21 years old , and has NEVER been serviced,it never comes off my wrist,is always exposed to water and shock. It gains about 20 seconds a month and has NEVER let me down. Moribundman SINN and others you talk about LOSE 50% of there VALUE as soon as you leave the jewelry store. NOTHING hold its VALUE like a ROLEX,with the exception of PATEK PHILIPPE. THE biggest over priced piece of junk is TAG HEUER, much better off with a SEIKO.

Now, I have to say that In a store at 'used retail', used rolexes hold value OK (better than a car, thats for sure!), but one can find some 'good deals' online that indicate to me that they don't hold their value THAT well... I do agree regarding Tag, and Id have to add movado to that list...

I certainly would never expect my rolex to appreciate other than an on-paper, replacement cost appraisal.

I agree that many rolexes are a bit too much 'look' for me... The submariner looks good in some configurations (two-tone with blue dial, for instance, or the standard old fashioned black...), and the gmt-mast3er is interesting because of the two-tone bezel (not the brownish gold one though - yuck!). I think that the datejust (the one I will get) however is subtle but has a look that I like... Its very often immitated, even by $20 k-mart watches - people like that style... I like that style... and have for a long time.

I dont care is anyone ever sees my watch... I never wear it in the water, and almost always wear long sleeves... I buy a watch that (a) doesnt need a battery and (b) is optically pleasant to me. I like the look - Ill consider buying it. Unfortunately, as everyone has said, many of the offerings are a bit too showy, a bit too much bling, etc., etc. Yes there are other watch brands that are better, fancier, have more prestige, etc., etc. Its something else for me to buy later on in the future... If I find one I like/desire, that isnt too high priced...

Thanks,

JMH

[ September 13, 2005, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: JHZR2 ]

wow, I really like the chronoswiss orea. It reminds me of some of the very old pocketwatches that I have (I collect them sometimes, for fun), because of the porcelain enamel dial, blued Breguet pomme style hands, and the seconds dial at the bottom... Very nice, though I prefer a metallic band... and the one they offer isnt really my style... I wonder how much this watch is as an automatic, Id consider it at some point - very neat...

Ive always liked the Cartier tank too...
smile.gif

Thanks,

JMH

JHZR2, if you want a ROLEX treat yourself and buy one. DONT buy one used , unless you know a lot about identifying fakes. Also dont buy one over the net , that could be a disaster, buy one from an authorized ROLEX dealer. Buy new and in 10 years it will be worth more than what you paid for it , even in used condition. I like how you mentioned those old pocketwatches, a mechanical watch will outlast a quartz watch 100 times over.

nope... Id never buy a rolex used, and I know a great authorized rolex dealer...

Thanks!

JMH

quote:

Its funny to hear the responses from people who cant afford a ROLEX , thier overpriced over rated etc.

My Breitling wasn't less than a basic Rolex.

quote:

I have a 18k and stainless DATEJUST that is 21 years old , and has NEVER been serviced,it never comes off my wrist,is always exposed to water and shock. It gains about 20 seconds a month and has NEVER let me down.

That's negligance. You are also not flowing Rolex's service suggestions. That's it's 20 seconds fast per month isn't bad, but it aint stellar. My Breitling varies between 8 seconds slow and 12 seconds fast per month, meaning it's on average 4 seconds fast per month.

quote:

Moribundman SINN and others you talk about LOSE 50% of there VALUE as soon as you leave the jewelry store. NOTHING hold its VALUE like a ROLEX,with the exception of PATEK PHILIPPE. THE biggest over priced piece of junk is TAG HEUER, much better off with a SEIKO.

1. You can't buy a Sinn at a jewelry store (factory outlet only), and who buys a watch at a jewelry shop??? Dat's pimp, yo!

2. My Breitling is now more worth than when I bought it about 18 years ago.

3. I don't see my watches as financial investment. I buy what I like with the functions and features I want. I don't want a diamond-studded, high polish, pimp gold watch. I've always liked military chronographs with special features to be found in no other watches. I guess, for some people an expensive watch should look all bling and garish. I prefer that stainless steel Rolex that supposedly looks like a 20 buck watch (to the untrained eye).
tongue.gif

And I find your general grasp, knowledge, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and your pathetic attempt at being insulting, "FRIGHTING."
wink.gif

Oh ***, we can even get wound up over watches?
As for me, I'll hang on to my old Seiko divers, one mechanical, one solar powered. Never ever had to have either one messed with, and they've both been through a lot of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back