Roku Express 4k - Signed out youtube not keeping watch history.

I have a roku express 4k (from bestbuy) which is every so slighlty different than the one at walmart, is no longer keeping my watch / search history like it did before on the youtube app. This has been happening for 1 month.

I am intentionally keeping it signed out, as what I am watching I do not want synced on my phone / computer.

Is this youtube sabotage so you must create an account, or is there a setting i am missing?

I have a roku express 4k (from bestbuy) which is every so slighlty different than the one at walmart, is no longer keeping my watch / search history like it did before on the youtube app. This has been happening for 1 month.

I am intentionally keeping it signed out, as what I am watching I do not want synced on my phone / computer.

Is this youtube sabotage so you must create an account, or is there a setting i am missing?
The history is stored within your YouTube account, not your Roku. You are not logged in with your YouTube account so it won't keep track of your watch history.

The history is stored within your YouTube account, not your Roku. You are not logged in with your YouTube account so it won't keep track of your watch history.
YouTube seems to present people different “recommended “ videos on Roku based on who is using even if you lack an account.

What’s unfortunate is if you don’t have a YouTube account it’s difficult to report BS and bad actor type videos or videos hacking Around the content restrictions/controls.

See my previous post. This has nothing to to with Roku.
True, but your inability to meaningfully report problems like inappropriate hacked in ads and videos is definitely a Roku app issue.

When I use Roku (no account) I get Spanish and Phillipino advertisements (and sometimes worse), I am not using any services to spoof my location so I report them as inappropriate (when possible) as I can’t actually do anything else, same issue doesn’t occur on my phone, (also not logged in no account)

Amusingly after reporting an inappropriate video in my feed as having a playback problem (Roku doesn’t allow anything else). The Roku finally decided to update the YouTube app (despite the fact it said no updates were available earlier that day)

Man behind the curtain stuff, still better than Fbook which simply doesn’t care what kind of crap reels are in their system, and that’s when you have an account, they actually treat reels better if you don’t have an account with them.

Last edited:
On my xfinity cable box platform, if I go into search menu in the YT application, my search history is there, but I havent poked around enough in sub menus to find any watch history. I see on my PC it states:

" Keep track of what you watch
Watch history isn't viewable when signed out."

True, but your inability to meaningfully report problems like inappropriate hacked in ads and videos is definitely a Roku app issue.

When I use Roku (no account) I get Spanish and Phillipino advertisements (and sometimes worse), I am not using any services to spoof my location so I report them as inappropriate (when possible) as I can’t actually do anything else, same issue doesn’t occur on my phone, (also not logged in no account)
The YouTube app is developed by YouTube, You won't get anything meaningfull when reporting because you are not logged in and it can't track you.
Why not just get a separate YouTube account for your Roku if you don't want to sync you history with other devices?

The YouTube app is developed by YouTube, You won't get anything meaningfull when reporting because you are not logged in and it can't track you.
Why not just get a separate YouTube account for your Roku if you don't want to sync you history with other devices?
I will never have any form of google or associates account,
never again

Oddly my watch history is synced up to me on different devices even though I have no account, just found the Roku app appears to be more susceptible to bs.

Also worth noting, Roku YouTube app did allow reporting videos while logged out, the feature was removed a couple years ago.

Last edited:
This is what I do. My kids may use YouTube on the TV and I don't want all that skewing my data.

Also worth noting, Roku YouTube app did allow reporting videos while logged out, the feature was removed a couple years ago.
And that may not even be in Roku's control. YouTube probably made a policy that you have to be in the app to report. This kind of stuff is not uncommon.

I will never have any form of google or associates account,
never again

Oddly my watch history is synced up to me on different devices even though I have no account, just found the Roku app appears to be more susceptible to bs.

I am guess they are following you with tracking cookies where they can't do that on the Roku platform. (Unless maybe they buy the data from Roku??)

I will clarify. When you type or search, it did stay in the list on each power cycle. Also the videos you watched stayed each day and your watch history. It did work before without an account what has changed,

From the Roku forum:

Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
Restart your Roku device: Restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > Power > System restart > Restart.
Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

Back