Rockauto Wholesaler Closeout

Rock had a great price on my Denso air filter due to a “wholesaler closeout”. Think I am safe buying this? I am visualizing a mangled box and filter. Thanks.

Wholesale closeout is a bit of a crapshoot, I tend to shy away from them for paper/rubber items because of the possibility of it being very old stock. You might get lucky though. Normally I've found that even the super cheap wholesale price + shipping is only 5-10 bucks away from a good filter so why risk it.

I normally order filters from RA 6 to 12 at a time . This spreads the shipping cost over more items . Knock on wood , I have come out OK , so far .

If you can get them cheap enough , you are not taking much of a chance . Especially if the price at WM is a fair amount higher .

I just ordered and installed these 4 shocks & the improvement way better. Got all 4 for $51 including shipping, can't beat that if your not in a hurry.

[TD valign="top"]GABRIEL 61539 (Heavy Duty) ProGuard Info
Rear [ Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] Rockauto

[TD valign="top"]GABRIEL 61555 (Heavy Duty) ProGuard Info
Front; RWD [ Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] Rock Auto

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]

I just ordered and installed these 4 shocks & the improvement way better. Got all 4 for $51 including shipping, can't beat that if your not in a hurry.

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]

I expect those to be bad out of the box due to age.

I have had good luck with wholesale closeout. One time I bought a filter and the filter description was wrong on rock Auto. I did the refund process online and it was super easy and I got to keep the filter anyway. It was Amazon levels of easy to get a refund.

"Crapshoot" was the first word that came to my mind, but I've actually had good luck with RA closeouts. Five-dollar cabin filters for my Silverado turned out to be Carquest carbon filters, and I got a bunch of NAPA 11-inch wipers for $1.87 each.

I got a regular stock Denso air filter that looked defective once, though. It was a one-piece heat molded fiber filter for a Vibe/Matrix. The part that's supposed to seal against the airbox had material missing from one corner and seemed like it could leak. (RA made it right with no problems.)

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]

I also ordered a full set of Gabriel for one of my cars... Boxes looked brand new and had no issues with them. Car is 20 years old, so if these last a few years, then money well spent even with shipping

Reactions: JC1
The WC stuff I have gotten seems to usually be private-label stuff, often old stock. (I recall brakes branded Checker Auto Parts.)

wdn

I have had good luck with Rock Auto closeouts including oil filters. I get wipers from Ocean State Job Lots a local discount chain. Never have I gotten burned, it was all good to very good value for dollar. Your experience may vary.

I expect those to be bad out of the box due to age.
I saw those deals and was going to get them and decided on KYB gas a just instead for my 05 Silverado. It carries a heavy load every day, full of survey equipment. Original 200k shocks were bad, but even the new ones felt kind of soft. I didn't realize how good they actually are until I emptied the truck and removed the cap and box liner and racking to get a body job done. It rides awesome with no load.

I would go with brakes or any part that's unlikely to go bad sitting, like everyone else is saying.

wdn

I have the KYB Gas-a-just installed on my Gen 1 Tundra TRD now, it drives like a dream now. The factory shocks were Bilsteins. Think of it this way your back is also 200k older than it was back then. Comfort matters. A lot.