ROCKAUTO selling old expired stock.

Originally Posted by A_Spruce
Discount prices tend to come at a cost. RA easily beats most other suppliers for the same product. This isn't because of their buying power, it is because of the quality of the products they stock.

Do you go to the dollar store expecting the same level of quality as you would a name brand store for the same product? NO, that is because the dollar store specifically searches suppliers of out of date products, shipping damaged, etc. They don't pay full wholesale for their stock, which means you don't pay full retail for what they sell.

RA is no different. Be informed about what you're buying and buy with caution. RA is only interested in the sale, not product quality or customer satisfaction.

Rock Auto owns no warehouses and has no inventory. They are a drop shipper.

For their regular inventory, RA mostly uses Auto Value and Parts Authority warehouses, which supply independent parts stores, while some parts ship directly from the manufacturer. Google the return address of your Rock Auto box next time
smile.gif

Most of their wholesaler closeouts come from Ultra-Power in Sugar Land, TX. Their site is surplusparts.com

"...isn't because of their buying power, it is because of the quality of the products they stock... "

Not completely true/correct. The closeout parts are just that...stock that has been purchased from retailers with excess/old inventory that they no longer want to warehouse. The regular inventory parts are the exact same you purchase anywhere else. They don't have the overhead of the local stores. That's why they can sell the same parts for less.

Last edited:
A couple years ago I bought a Wagner 6014 sealed beam headlight as an add-on to a RA order just because it was very cheap on clearance. It came sealed in a dusty and little worn box, but perfectly new. The box says that Wagner Lighting is a part of Cooper Industries, which I thought was odd since Wagner has been part of Federal-Mogul since as long as I can remember. Turns out Cooper sold Wagner in '98, and my made in USA NOS headlight is marked '97.

Originally Posted by Jake_J
A couple years ago I bought a Wagner 6014 sealed beam headlight as an add-on to a RA order just because it was very cheap on clearance. It came sealed in a dusty and little worn box, but perfectly new. The box says that Wagner Lighting is a part of Cooper Industries, which I thought was odd since Wagner has been part of Federal-Mogul since as long as I can remember. Turns out Cooper sold Wagner in '98, and my made in USA NOS headlight is marked '97.

Not Rock Auto's fault.

The non-halogen incandescent sealed beams might not be made anymore. The 6014 has been superseded by the halogen H6024

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Not Rock Auto's fault.

The non-halogen incandescent sealed beams might not be made anymore. The 6014 has been superseded by the halogen H6024

I'm not blaming Rock Auto, I got a great deal on a sealed beam headlight. I was aware the 6014 is the incandescent version.

Originally Posted by Eddie
Lubegard has an expiration date? Is it on the bottle? Ed

That's what I'm thinking ^^^^^^

Shake the begeezees out of the container... Put in your car. Run the car... I'd bet it likely would be really ok.

Rock Auto is not a crapshoot. If you shop from the "closeout sale" then you need to realize why the prices are so low. I'm sure the website has some disclaimer about the closeout items, they aren't stupid.

I have only bought cabin air filters and wiper blades from Rock auto.
Having two identical cars I get two filters for the price of one at the auto parts store or even (gasp) wally world.
Same with wiper blades.
Last time I bought wiper blades the return address on the box was on South Sante Fe St. about 15 miles from where I live.
And yeah the wiper blade packages were dusty LOL.
But they worked just fine.

Last edited:
It was not a closeout... same price as Amazon which lubegard deals with.

Same price as amazon. As a side not. Lubegard says they do not sell to RA.
It was inventory for another supplier.

I ordered a SET of 3 AC Delco intake manifold gaskets from RA. They sent one. I filed a complaint. They sent one more. I filed another complaint. They sent the complete SET. Now I have 5. 😁

I ordered an AC condensor once from RA. It arrived shaped like a banana. They sent another.

Rock Auto owns no warehouses and has no inventory. They are a drop shipper.

For their regular inventory, RA mostly uses Auto Value and Parts Authority warehouses, which supply independent parts stores, while some parts ship directly from the manufacturer. Google the return address of your Rock Auto box next time
smile.gif

Most of their wholesaler closeouts come from Ultra-Power in Sugar Land, TX. Their site is surplusparts.com
Hmm, wonder if they have a will call window where I could order and pick up stuff? I am by there on occasion (and used to work at a fire station down the street from them).

Back