RockAuto and shipping costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need 6 spark plugs for my snow cat. They only come in packs of 4. If I order 8 its goes priority for under $11 in shipping. If I order two orders, each for 4 plugs the shipping (First Class) is a few dollars less. I assume it costs RockAuto more to handle two small orders than one small order.

Its [censored] i find its only good for me if i spend like 200.00 and usually buy a bunch of filters and things like that.I would just use advance and use the codes.

Maybe not. Say its a minutes extra handling cost at minimum wage + employer paid costs + whatever overheads you would ascribe to that minute.

Might be just a $ in full cost or just a few cents in marginal cost. Which is less than the incremental cost of the shipping method their system determines is best for an order of 2 packs.

Getting the shipping and packaging methods and pricing right would seem to be their problem.

They have to make money anyway they can.Offer cheap prices but make up for it on "Shipping and handling".EBAY works that way too.

I used to buy a lot from Rock Auto and talked them up to everyone I knew, but this shipping nonsense will be the end of them if they don't wise up. I hope someone with some sense at Rock Auto reads these kinds of threads from the last few months.

Shipping almost always puts Rock Auto out of the running for me. Too many times a simple brake job results in 3 warehouses with a fresh shipping charge for each. Even with a single warehouse, the shipping is usually well above the actual cost to ship.

I find Amazon and Advance (with the right coupon) to be a much better bet. Advance almost exclusively if there is a core involved.

I watch there shipping costs closely when i place an order. i wanted to order 2 front rotors and pads for one of my cars when i punched in 2 for the rotors they would come from two different locations if i entered 3 or more rotors they would only come from one location would have cost me more in shipping so i changed brand of rotors and pads coming only from one location. what a crock of _ _ it! still can't beat there pricing and selection.

They need to stock some items in every location such as spark plugs. I tried to order 2 different NGK spark plugs and they would be coming from different warehouses.

I always check Amazon before I order from RockAuto. But I do trust RockAuto to display the proper part on their website (more so than Amazon).

Shannow has a story about buying grapes one at a time b/c they round down the cost to nothing.

Amazon has a helter skelter system of shipping rotors to me in individual boxes: one fedex, one UPS.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I need 6 spark plugs for my snow cat. They only come in packs of 4. If I order 8 its goes priority for under $11 in shipping. If I order two orders, each for 4 plugs the shipping (First Class) is a few dollars less. I assume it costs RockAuto more to handle two small orders than one small order.

I posted the shipping problem with Rockauto exactly the same as yours few years ago. After checking with Amazon and some other online sites, I placed 2 orders of 4 plugs each to get the lowest possible total.

I'm sure their handling cost for 2 small packages is more than 1.

I've passed on nearly completed orders when the shipping costs displayed, at Rock Auto.
Hope they wise up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cjcride
I've passed on nearly completed orders when the shipping costs displayed, at Rock Auto.
Hope they wise up.

I have too, on several occasions. Then I go to Amazon.

if they don't get their shipping costs and warehouse structure under control, RA will soon turn into Best Buy - you go there to find the right part, then go somewhere else to buy it.

Why would you even bother with ordering plugs?
They're pretty inexpensive locally.
An online order with coupon code from AAP with in-store pickup would have to be cheaper than Rock.
Rock often kills you on shipping.

^ I got a bunch of Bosch W9DCs from Rockauto after I read on a mercedes forum that they were old stock and completely impossible to find. Someone should have told "the rock."

A collector's item, I've got no use. Will save for a car show, I guess, and give them to the first gas-powered Merc or Beemer owner.

They are supposed to be the big thing for 1970's euro cars with points ignition.

Rock auto, winning the "weird part" contest.

Also got a ten pack of 168 bulbs for $4 shipped from them. A 3 inch cube box arrived via post, it was so cute.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: pbm
I love RA but their shipping prices are often a deal killer.

X2 Love the cool magnets
wink.gif

I did a RockAuto order yesterday for my Jeep. I ordered a water pump, a water pump (heater hose connect) metal tube, an upper radiator hose, a radiator cap, and a resister block for my blower motor. Total cost, including shipping was $49.98.
Today I went to my local auto parts store to get the lower radiator hose (RA couldn't get a lower radiator hose into the order from the same warehouse) and the first store didn't have it in inventory. So I had to use more gas to go the next auto parts store and I found one for $26. That's for just the one hose. Had I bit the bullet and just ordered from two RA warehouses, I still would have saved money.
I will still use RockAuto for a lot of items, but yes, you have to carefully watch how many warehouses your products from.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back