Rock Chips in Front Bumper

Status
Not open for further replies.
While detailing my car today and scrubbing my fingers off to get all of the bug guts off, I couldn't help but be reminded of the numerous rock chips in my white bumper (that is made out of black plastic, so it looks like [censored]).

I was thinking about buying a new pre-painted bumper from Volvo, but I know it would just happen again since I drive 200 miles a day on the highway.

So, instead of replacing the bumper alone, I searched for some products to keep my bumper free from dents and dings from road debris.

I found http://www.clearbumper.com

Has anyone used their products? Will it last a really long time? (I keep cars for a LONG time, but I put a whole LOT of miles on them at the same time)

Do you have any recommendations for better products or other suggestions?

My MIL normally gets some sort of 3m product similar for the hood of her car, and they seem to work well.

Her last car was a Lexus suv, it saw a ton of highway miles going to Florida and Az to escape our MN winters.

I dont know the 3M specs, my only experience is with Lexus and the car before that, a Lincoln continental. when she traded the Lexus in the front end was like new and it had about 20,000 miles more than the Lincoln and the Lincoln was chipped up badly

I haven't used Clear Bumper but have some experience with paint protection films. As Duane mentioned, 3M is a large producer, and there are other companies that produce pre-cut kits for certain cars made for DIY installation.

You may want to search your local area for paint protection film installers. Many also do window tinting and car detailing. Most car dealers have a vendor who does this for them.

I assume you want this for your S60. Have you checked on brickboard.com or another Volvo forum to see what they're using? There may be a kit out there you can self install.

As for durability, most seem to last 5-8 years. I do a lot of car detailing on the side and see plenty of protected cars. At the 5 year mark they start to dull and fade a bit. They still work fine, just don't look like a fresh install. I suppose the films could last decades if installed correctly and maintained, but it seems most of my clients end up removing and/or replacing it after 6 or 7 years, if only to improve the looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back