Rock Auto December Newsletter Trivia Question

When reading the trivia question in the December issue of the Rock Auto Newsletter, I got quite a chuckle out of the following statement. Anyone else find this to be quite a bit less than true?

"In 2021, Stellantis was established as the parent company of Chrysler, Fiat, Peugeot and many other respected vehicle brands. What is the origin of the name Stellantis?"

In my entire adult life, I have never considered any of these three, to be "respected" brands.

Citroen is a good, well-respected car brand historically. They had many cool and innovative cars. I don’t know much about the modern company, other than it is now a Stellantis brand.

While I don't follow much about them today, Chrysler was a legendary car company. Everything from the Dodge Dart (Slant 6 baby! The 1st true long runner), Dodge Polara Police Specials, Hemi Road Runners (make mine a 383 TorqueFlight) and so many more. Not to mention the Tradesman Van and of course the best pickup trucks available.

While I don't follow much about them today, Chrysler was a legendary car company. Everything from the Dodge Dart (Slant 6 baby! The 1st true long runner), Dodge Polara Police Specials, Hemi Road Runners (make mine a 383 TorqueFlight) and so many more. Not to mention the Tradesman Van and of course the best pickup trucks available.
I’m the youngest and my sister was 10 years older - she married a guy even older who owned a big Mopar dealership …
I‘d stay with them in the summer and wait outside to see what he’d come home in !
- (he knew to keep the motor running) 😷

I remember these same cars. One of my college roommates drove a '67 Barracuda. Cool car. A childhood friend had a 1971 Challenger. The New Yorker was a beautiful car.

But none of them were ever respected for being reliable. Although I haven't followed it for several years now, except for some Jeeps, resale value on Chrysler products has always been low. Ram and Jeep are the only thing that keeps Chrysler alive.

I remember these same cars. One of my college roommates drove a '67 Barracuda. Cool car. A childhood friend had a 1971 Challenger. The New Yorker was a beautiful car.

But none of them were ever respected for being reliable. Although I haven't followed it for several years now, except for some Jeeps, resale value on Chrysler products has always been low. Ram and Jeep are the only thing that keeps Chrysler alive.
I have to disagree. The Slant 6 engine was the 1st long runner and was used in the small cars, full size and even pickups. The V8s like the 383 and its variants were strong and asked for very little. The Torqueflite ATs would outperform the GM slushboxes and even the strong Ford transmissions.

I am talking cars made up to the early 70's. All the American cars went downhill during the mid and late 70's.

I have to disagree. The Slant 6 engine was the 1st long runner and was used in the small cars, full size and even pickups. The V8s like the 383 and its variants were strong and asked for very little. The Torqueflite ATs would outperform the GM slushboxes and even the strong Ford transmissions.

I am talking cars made up to the early 70's. All the American cars went downhill during the mid and late 70's.
I am going to date myself badly here, but it was about 1963 that one of the drag teams (I forget the name) began running the Torquelites in their Dodge drag cars, and winning. The automatic transmissions could shift faster than a manual, so elapsed times improved. Those trans were really stout, and demonstrated what Chrysler's engineering could do.

I am going to date myself badly here, but it was about 1963 that one of the drag teams (I forget the name) began running the Torquelites in their Dodge drag cars, and winning. The automatic transmissions could shift faster than a manual, so elapsed times improved. Those trans were really stout, and demonstrated what Chrysler's engineering could do.
In the 1960's, GM powerglides lasted 60K maybe. The Ford C4s, etc were better, but the Torqueflights were bullerproof.

I worked sales at a Chevrolet/Oldsmobile dealership in the late '70's. Early on in that job, I recall having a customer come in that wanted to trade in their Chrysler on a new car. (It's been too many years, so I don't recall the model, but that is inconsequential to this.) I took the details to my sales manager for approval. He told me to be prepared that the customer will not be happy with the trade-in offer, because trade-in value on Chrysler products was severely lower when compared to the other car brands. He said it was hard to close a deal with someone wanting to trade in a Chrysler, because of this.

At the time I questioned if this was really true, or was he just lowballing the customer because of a prejudice against the competition and a loyalty towards GM brands. But as I spent more time in the auto industry, and read auto industry articles in publications such as Automotive News, I came to realize that my sales manager was right. Chrysler products had a reputation for a lower quality than other brands, so used Chrysler cars demanded lower pricing to move them off the lot.

I also remember the reputation that certain Chrysler engines and transmissions had in the late '60's and early '70's. They were well respected for how much power could be got out of them. Challengers and Chargers and Barracudas were very popular and sought after by kids my age.

Perhaps many here may feel different, but I believe most people today consider Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep to be on the bottom of the scale for quality/reliability.

I believe you mean Torqueflites. Just to be historically correct. :)

Back