rock auto and others

I use to work for AAP and I can tell you first hand that the commercial department, that is the department that deals with shops and local business, is what keeps the majority of those stores afloat. Also, I agree with what most have posted here. 80% of people who walk in those doors need the part the same day to be able to get to work the next day. They have brick and mortar stores for the convenience of being able to get the part(s) the same day and the old saying of 'convenience costs' is very true.

i don’t understand how people can complain on one hand about local stores’ “excessive” parts markup, and on the other bemoan the inexperience of their employees.

If you want the parts to be cheap like they are online, the places selling them will have to cut back on how much they pay employees, among other things. And if the job doesn’t pay well, no one will stay there long enough to gain any experience.

Would you pay those “exorbitant” prices if they had more knowledgeable employees? (Hint: no you would not)

Rock Auto is nice for things you don't need right away, but you have to watch them on shipping. If you can't get everything to ship from the same warehouse, the shipping costs can eat up everything you save on the parts and then some. Trying to get them to ship from one location can be very time consuming. It is also an issue for heavy parts, or things where you have to worry about returning a core. Sometimes the savings are huge - $4 cabin air filters are cheap to ship, so buy a few at a time vs spending $20 locally.

I no longer buy car parts (among other things) from Amazon due to the proliferation of counterfeits and other low quality junk. Sometimes they are as much or more than local part stores as well.

Local part stores have it in stock now or can usually get it the next day for free, even if it is a $1.50 gasket or seal. I can't think of the last time I had to wait more than a day from NAPA, O'Reilly, or Advance. Shops get discounts as well at these stores, and when you look at coupon codes and rewards, that can knock the cost down some. Also you have the convenience of just taking the part back if it is defective.

Local part stores hopefully aren't going away and I will continue to shop there. I will also continue to buy from Rock Auto when situation calls for it.

The more you do on vehicles the better.

While I like RA's prices on basic maintenance items, I've found it handy to "need" such items.

They're handy to get up to the "free shipping" thresholds many online sources have.

However, when a Bilstein H6 strut is $250 from a another source I go with RA.

IRONY: They've Bilstein warehouse in either the Bronx or Hempstead, L.I. That's way close enough to be drivable.....alas, no customer pick-up.

Last edited:
Like all stores, autopart stores are for people who need parts fast, there will always be a demand for them.
Repair shops require this and many of us who need a part fast.

Much like anything in this online world, if no rush, then cheaper to buy online. To defend the stores, they need higher markups to exist, it cost money having a brick and motor store in every town, vs, a internet parts warehouse with 6 locations in the USA shipping out..

I buy 2 sets of wipers blades for the cost of 1 set at Walmart.
Also the same thing with cabin air filters.
Even with paying the shipping it works out to 2 for 1 give or take a buck or two.
Rock auto rocks.
I change both the blades and filters once a year every June.

i don’t understand how people can complain on one hand about local stores’ “excessive” parts markup, and on the other bemoan the inexperience of their employees.

If you want the parts to be cheap like they are online, the places selling them will have to cut back on how much they pay employees, among other things. And if the job doesn’t pay well, no one will stay there long enough to gain any experience.

Would you pay those “exorbitant” prices if they had more knowledgeable employees? (Hint: no you would not)

This is the biggest myth when it comes to business, that parts HAVE to be expensive or otherwise the store/shop can't run. Do you not see how much the board of directors, CEO and upper management make? Lower employees will always be paid minimum. and merchandise will always be priced as high as possible for maximum profit for the shareholders. Even local auto shop owners are making bank. You would be surprised. The owners of those small local 3-4 car garage auto shops in town are all pulling in $200-800K after taxes on their personal tax return, not net business profit. Small businesses make much more money than most people realize. Owners love to play the woe is me card. Can't tell you how many of these small business owners tell me they are poor. Any buisness with a handful of employees and a physical location has an owner making hundreds of thousands after taxes. Working in Accounting has really opened my eyes in how greedy and out of touch people really are.

Small business.
I have a friend that owns a trash compacting business that leases machines to large stores just in Colorado.
He told me yesterday that him and his wife draw $2300 a week in salary combined.
When I asked how much profit he banked each year he would not say.
His house and cars are all paid for so $2300 a week is quite comfortable.

I use RA when possible. I recently had to replace an alternator on one of my cars. A rebuilt at AAP or AZ either was going to be about $125. out the door. I ordered a Magneti Marelli rebuilt unit from RA on a closeout deal with no core required for under $75. including shipping. I was also able to order some new wiper blades for another car for $1.31 each since they were shipping from the same location. Since I have other cars to drive if one is down it was worth the wait to save $50. on the alternator and another $2. each on wiper blades.

I avoid the chain auto parts stores like the plague. Their pricing is highway robbery, I'm truly baffled how they stay in business. I get it that most of their sales are to businesses and that's fine, but you don't need a fancy storefront for that. They get enough walk-in ordinary Joe customers to justify the large retail presence. And that's what I don't understand, how so many people are okay with spending $100 for a "Duralast" part made in the same overseas factory as all the others, when you can get the same thing on Amazon and get it next day for $45.

I'm a frugal person though. I don't consider myself "cheap" because I know the value of quality and don't mind paying for it. I'm just internally wired to seek out the best deal. I know so many people that are simply too lazy to check prices online and stopping by the store is the easiest thing for them. Like one guy I work with who is always complaining that he's broke, goes to Autozone for everything because it's right by his house, even stuff he doesn't need right away. Tools, electrical stuff, anything car related, etc. I've made the comment several times, "you can get it for about half that online" and the response is always "I know, but Autozone is right there."

RA-Tried to order some belts- got as far as checkout then got a cannot ship to california- gates had not submitted prop 65 paperwork .What?????????

Hey, at least they answered you.

ADDED "THROW- IN": I do like it when the counterman at Hometown Auto Parts (the name of my NAPA shop in Wood-Ridge, NJ) can say of an AC compressor, "These are the ones we sell to the garages".

I like to spread my money around but when shopping locally I prefer NAPA.

I have had the local Advance Auto Parts store REFUSE ME SERVICE on an online order to pick up in their store that guaranteed 30 minute fulfillment. They never sent me the email. Finally I walked in and said sorry there must be something wrong with my email but I am here to pick up. Only then did they fill the order.

In case that seems like a fluke I put in another online order with 25% off coupon and free same day deliver. My credit card was charged. Same day came and went, no delivery. Next morning I checked order status online: CANCELLED. I called customer service and asked what’s up. They said store cancelled it, out of stock. I said out of stock on which item? All of them. I asked how five completely different parts were completely out of stock. AAP rep called the store: all parts were indeed in stock. Store did not want to sell at the website price even if I picked them up at the store. AAP gave me a $20 coupon as compensation. This happened to me one week ago.

Its not about price but more about availability today. I use Napa, Autopart International, a couple of old school private stores who still have quality parts, junk yards that deliver, dealers but never AA, AZ or O'Reilly unless they are the only ones that have it and I need it now.
For stuff that can ordered beforehand then sure online eg fuel pump online $400 dealer over 700 same Bosch brand and number and warranty, no brainer.

Maybe where you live Napa still sells quality parts but I know last 5-10 years Napa's quality has went down the drain. Napa is no longer any better than AZ or Advance Auto Parts ect.

You gotta know the locations which cater to more/serious garages like my NAPA does.

An Advance near me was once "Coast Automotive"; a competent shop on the wester end of the Long Island-New Jersey speed scene.
There are 30 year+ employees there too. I'll spare you the good service stories.

These places don't even have garbage to sell you.

I ordered two NAPA Gold filters online during the 20% off sale, checked the pay in store box, I picked them up yesterday. When I got there the guy said I pulled three just in case you might need an extra one, same 20% discount if you want it. So I bought all three. This is why I prefer NAPA. AAP doesn’t even want to fill your order when you paid in advance.

Back