Roasts: what kind do you folks buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Rump roast.

Good choice
smile.gif

Prime rib in the oven is still my favorite but that is a Christmas treat. Chuck roasts are second for me either in the crockpot or in my Showtime rotisserie.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
Anyone done roasts in an insta-pot? My wife does ours in a crock pot for most of a day. Any difference if we tried the insta-pot for less time? How long would you pressure cook it?

Yes I've used our Instant Pot numerous times for roasts. Very easy and I think I have it set for 60-75 minutes. Significantly faster than a crock pot and still the meat pulls apart like nothing.

Originally Posted by Kira
I have cooked only a few eye rounds, bottom rounds and hams in the oven.
Since the slow cooker (wedding gift) does such a great job I've been using it for shoulders and butts.
Also, BiL has been the spearhead of smoked meat. Briskets and fowl here.

I'm waiting for one of the new-fangled pressure/speed cookers to appear at my local thrift stores. No need to spend $200 on one of these.
Also, since they're prominently displayed at Walmarts, I figure they're appealing to people's consumerism.
I always have time to let that wave pass.

QUICK SHOW of HANDS: How many know to braise / sear your meat before it goes into the crock pot / slow cooker?
Yes, it adds a step and adds a pan to clean but it adds so much flavor.
If you ain't, I urge you to do so. You'll be glad you did.

Yes it is one more step and more cleaning but it's worth it. If the weather is nice sometimes I put it on the grill for a few minutes, it's not as good as braising it and you don't get the juices left over but it's better than not doing it.

I usually only buy chuck roasts with good marbling but occasionally I'll get a pork shoulder.

Originally Posted by svhanc
Go with a chuck roast.
Aldi has an Angus Chuck roast pretty consistently for $4-4.50/pound that is vacuum packed that is my current go-to. If a supermarket has a sale for less I will hit that too.
Half a bottle of cheap red wine, a bag of Liptons Onion Soup Mix, a can or two of cream of mushroom soup, and whatever other liquid to bring it even with the top of the roast. 8-10hrs in the crockpot and you won't need a knife.

Same here...

I'll be doing one in the Crock Pot Monday or Tuesday...

Should mention my favorite part of cooking a roast it the left overs. I usually make a beef hash with Worcestershire sauce or sandwiches with Dave's Georgia Mustard BBQ Sauce.

I buy tenderloin, butt, and belly cuts to maker pork roast. Chuck, brisket and round cuts for roast beef. And nothing comes from the scruffy meat display at the supermarket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back