Road trip from Houston to Bakersfield, CA

When I lived in Hanford, CA, I drove home to IL for Christmas 4 years straight. Only once did I experience bad weather and that was in Flagstaff. It’s generally a good drive.

yes, the only spot that could be tricky on that itinary. but in 9 years, i have not seen snow once. i guess i was lucky, but sometimes it was very close to snowing. i got a speeding ticket at the same spot as james dean got his speeding ticket on the day he had his car accident.

California does have some very nice scenic roads and highway.

I’m always amazed at the mountains that took millions of years to create.

Take oatman hwy from golden valley,AZ through the town of oatman ,az. Pet the donkeys then you will drop out in bullhead,AZ. Very close to 40.

You can also drive through Amboy,Ca. An old route 66 town. Not much left now.

Fill up your gas tank in bullhead,AZ. You do not want to have to buy gas in needles,Ca or goff's,Ca or Ludlow,Ca. Food for less in Barstow,Ca is usually the cheapest gas in that area.

Be ready for gas sticker shock too

Do any of the roads that have been discussed about getting shut down for snow get salted? Do they use salt on roads much at all out west?

Do any of the roads that have been discussed about getting shut down for snow get salted? Do they use salt on roads much at all out west?
Snow? Seen it once on TV. It's not an issue here. Only place he may see anything wet would be taking 58 through Tehachapi,ca. They don't salt roads here. A little snow gets cinders on it. Anything more than 2 inches and they shut the road down.

Have you guys had any experience on the snow with Michelin Defender LTX? I have plenty of experience driving in snow conditions, but always on dedicated winter tires. Never drove all seasons in the snow
I spent three winters driving a 2WD Chevy shortbox in West Michigan. I moved there with Firestone Destinations that were like driving on ice skates. Michelin LTXs felt like snow tires in comparison.

I have driven I-40 at least to Gallup, and once to Flagstaff, several times in winter. Once, in March, I had to spend the night in a parking lot somewhere in Eastern New Mexico because of an active snow storm. The road was back open and clear by morning. Before that, the rear end of my '87 Caprice was getting a little squirrely on the overpasses around Amarillo. Just watch the forecast in the few days before you go, and be prepared with blankets, food, and water in the unlikely case of a delay.

I haven't seen much of I-10, but 40, especially across the Colorado Plateau from Western NM through Arizona, is one of my favorite interstate drives. Some places to check out: Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, El Malpais Natonal Monument near Grants, Red Rock Park outside Gallup, The old neon signs on the Rt 66 Gallup main drag (I used to love stopping at the Road Runner Cafe on the east side of Gallup, but I think it has been torn down. The sign might still be there.), Petrified Forest National Park near Holbrook, AZ. Even if you don't stop specifically to explore the "sights," the scenery all along the route is awesome. If you have never been out that way, you'll think you stepped into a Road Runner cartoon.

Take oatman hwy from golden valley,AZ through the town of oatman ,az. Pet the donkeys then you will drop out in bullhead,AZ. Very close to 40.

You can also drive through Amboy,Ca. An old route 66 town. Not much left now.

Fill up your gas tank in bullhead,AZ. You do not want to have to buy gas in needles,Ca or goff's,Ca or Ludlow,Ca. Food for less in Barstow,Ca is usually the cheapest gas in that area.

Be ready for gas sticker shock too
Gas is pretty cheap in CA, I just checked GasBuddy. Pretty much same price as Phoenix.

I'm taking the Grand Cherokee to Oregon on Friday, pulling a trailer back and I'm happy with the price of gas. Might go down more in the next week too.

I read somewhere that Salt Lake City has this same problem during the winter time.
No-not any where close. I lived in So. Cal for 50 years-with frequent trips through Bakersfield to the San Francisco Bay area. I have lived in the Salt Lake Valley 11 years now-and can't recall ZERO VISABILITY fog like the fog in Bakersfield. However-I guess the fog isn't as bad as it used to be-apparently.

Last edited:
If I were doing it I would do I-10 and drop down to Big Bend NP if you haven't already, then Guadalupe Mountains National Park, then White Sands NM, then Saguaro National Park. But I like the outdoors.

Alternate would be same up to White Sands NM then head North through NM to the 4 corners area of NM/ AZ then head to Vegas and Death Valley.

Why fight the snow?

Back