road tar removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
they have been repaving roads in my area and i now have a BUNCH of road tar on the leading edge of the rear fender flares on my WHITE 05 tacoma.

how do i get this stuff off an NOT kill the clearcoat?

If the wd-40 doesn't work try isopryl alcohol or detailing clay (not play dough). If you go the claying route, Clay Magic is usually available at Autozone and it's pretty good. Also with tar, you might have to go over it several times with clay.

You can try 3M Prepsol/Adhesive Remover that comes in a red can.

Make sure you wash the offending area with car shampoo. Dry the panel. Make sure the panel is cool.Apply 3M Prepsol allow it to soak for a couple of seconds. Gently wipe. Go over the small stubborn spots one more time. Wash the panel again. Dry the panel. Apply a quality wax or sealant to protect the panel.

Everytime you use tar removers you absolutely need to rewax the surface...

I've used WD-40 many times with success....I also have used Engine Degreaser to remove stubborn "blobs"......I now use Simple Green...takes it right off and doesn't harm the finish/paint at all...

This stuff works real good
It WILL remove your wax. Prepare to rewax.
 -

Just use good 'ol gasoline on a rag or sponge. Look what a leaking fuel line or gas tank does to an asphalt driveway. Gas is only $3.00 a gallon as compared to $3.00-$4.00 a pint or quart of anything else. Been doing this for over 30 years and have never ruined the paint on a car/truck. Of course do this only in the shade and when your going to wash/wax the car/truck anyway. Keep rince water near by. As with any product, use gloves and any other protective equipment needed. Trust me!

quote:

Originally posted by Char Baby:
Just use good 'ol gasoline on a rag or sponge. Look what a leaking fuel line or gas tank does to an asphalt driveway. Gas is only $3.00 a gallon as compared to $3.00-$4.00 a pint or quart of anything else. Been doing this for over 30 years and have never ruined the paint on a car/truck. Of course do this only in the shade and when your going to wash/wax the car/truck anyway. Keep rince water near by. As with any product, use gloves and any other protective equipment needed. Trust me!

Probably should not smoke while doing that either
grin.gif

I just use lacquer thinner.
Works great for me without any problems.
Just reapply whatever paint protectant you like after tar removal.

thanks for all the replies. i think i'll try some wd40 first and then maybe the simple green. i'll try to take a before and after pics.

jonnyz,
repaving of Lakeline Blvd from 183 on to almost 1431.
and the road really did NOT need it. i have no idea why the did it.

well i first tried the wd40. it has one major drawback, it is too runny. just wants to drip/run off. looked like it was working though.
simple green did NOT touch the tar. not even a little bit.
so, at wallyworld i bought some "Tar & Bug" remover made by Gunk. it was the cheapest one on the shelf i think. somewhat thicker than wd40, but not as thick as i would like (oh, say 90wt would be nice). it semi looks like and smells like diesel and something else blended. it got it all off without a problem and the can says "clear coat safe".
then i washed and waxed the whole truck.
sorry, no pics. i forgot.

I still like gas for tar removal and super hot water and mild carwash soap in a bucket with a sponge for removing bugs. These 2 things are about the cheapest way to go and work GREAT!

I stay away from rubbing anything on it that might dull the finish, like gasoline. I've had good luck with Turtlewax bug and tar remover, one of the few TW products I like (next to their F21/2001 interior spray and Tire Wax). Thick enough to get the job done, and its safe.

TW Bug & Tar Remover is overpriced carosene! My whole point is related to cost,($3.00 per gal/gas or $3.00 per pint/other products), it's your choice. And, as-far-as bug removal...Hot water melts BUGS away and it's FREE !

Kerosine? Not quite. I've seen what gasoline can do to paint, and I haven't seen a pump yet that said "clearcoat safe". Sorry, but I don't plan on rubbing any into my paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back