Road hazard/tire warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you guys go over the usual things covered by a new tire warranty? I know they give you a treadwear warranty, free rotations and maybe even balances?

The reason I ask is that my friend bought new low profile rims and tires three days ago and he's already got a big cut in one of his treads. The tire hasn't blown up yet and I've convinced him to get the tire replaced immediately no matter who pays. One side of the story is that it's his fault for running over something...the other side of the story is that cuts like this are rare so it's the tires fault for being a wimp.
dunno.gif
I told him that he should push for a tire at cost along with a free install if he can't get the tire replaced under warranty.

I know of a few friends that have had to settle for this sort of deal when they've gotten nails in there new motorcycle tires. Motorcycle tire warrantees don't really exist though...they are warranted by the origional retailer and if it wears out quick that's too bad. If you buy a bike tire through mailorder you'll be hard pressed to even find somebody that'll mount it let alone replace it if it fails.

Thanks, Steve

Sorry I cant offer much on this subject.

Depends on were you buy the tire, hopefully the tire shop is customer service oriented and they will replace tire free of charge. There is much play in the price of tires so if a free replacement is not and option, they can probaly get another for half of orginal purchase price..
I know firestone will find a way to charge you for something even if it is fixing a flat. Even if you can get it to where you purchased it there is a long line seems to be my luck.

But everytime I have a flat tire I dont want to drive xx miles just to have flat fixed. So i opt not to purchase the warranty and quit buying warranties many years ago on almost everything I buy.

Warrantees may or may not cover road hazard. Read the paperwork. Coverage is more likely to be included on off brand tires, and be an extra on brand name tires. Goodyear and BFG, or at least their local stealers have refused to cover tires that developed a soft spot in the sidewall. Think I will ever buy a tire from them?

I used to buy them only for the wife's car, because it had the more expensive tires on it.

However, I noticed that I was the one ruining tires much more often, and even tho they weren't the most expensive tires in the family, it was costing me some major $$.

I do photography and my excursions often take me to off road spots and/or very tire-unfriendly places.

Discount Tire's Road Hazard is what I get; I've used it several times, never a complaint. They do the routine flat for free, they are all over the place here in Houston so I don't have to go far to find one. They have a tool-free number to call and can find the closest one in minutes.

Yes, I like those folks.

Not knowing your information, I would say "IT DEPENDS" Places like tire rack, etc, in fact do offer a extra cost road hazards guarantee. Some if not all tire retailers offer their own road hazards guarantee. Of course that is not too good if you have the incident where the offering retailer does not have a presence. Specific brand dealers in fact do bridge the gap; but again it depends. Some oem tires like Michelin do not off a specific mileage warranty. The do offer "conditions" type of oem warranty's

So for example, I bought one set of tires through Costco. They specifically offer a mileage and/or time line and road hazards warranty. So if anything happens on the road, I find the nearest Costco.

[ May 16, 2005, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

Purchase your tires at
"America's Tire".
They got you covered for everything.
They are all over the US.
They are the best in my book.
Good Luck.

Thanks guys,
I didn't know there were different types of warranties available. I'll get back with the results in about a week, my friend is getting some work done at the hospital.

Cheers, Steve

quote:

Originally posted by srivett:
Thanks guys,
I didn't know there were different types of warranties available. I'll get back with the results in about a week, my friend is getting some work done at the hospital.

Cheers, Steve

I hope the hospital work is not from the Tire
confused.gif

one should always get tire insurance. I know not a lot of place offer it. Wheel WOrks and Costco offer it, it is like 12-20 dollars per tire. covers nails, bubbles etc.

quote:

Originally posted by tuong:
one should always get tire insurance. I know not a lot of place offer it. Wheel WOrks and Costco offer it, it is like 12-20 dollars per tire. covers nails, bubbles etc.

$20! On a set of 4 tires, you have almost paid for a fifth one you likely will not need. I have only had 3-4 tires go bad in the last 40 years. With Tire Rack's site to guide me, I think I will stick to off brand tires that run less with road hazard included than the name brands.

...unless you live somewhere like SE Michigan, where the roads are littered with schrapnel. Considering the road hazard warranty from the same distributor or manufacturer costs the same nationally, we get a deal here in Detroit.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
$20! On a set of 4 tires, you have almost paid for a fifth one you likely will not need. I have only had 3-4 tires go bad in the last 40 years. With Tire Rack's site to guide me, I think I will stick to off brand tires that run less with road hazard included than the name brands.

Yeah, I think that's steep too. Remember, insurance is still insurance, just the product is different. The carriers (actuaries) know how much to charge so the company will make a profit. This means more money is collected than is paid out in claims.

You, as a policyholder, are betting that you will be in the MINORITY and actually have to file claim. Insurance is not much different from gambling. Some people win, most people lose, but in the end, the house always wins.

Insurance makes sense for only those things that would cause great financial hardship (loss of home, auto, life, ability to work [LTD], business owner, etc). For me, a tire doesn't fall under this category.

The two road hazzards I've had to use were Wal-mart's and Discount Tire's. Wal-mart's is great at only about 50 cents a tire(if your getting it balanced and a new valvestem). I've had one replaced for free and one for $15. It's a prorated warantee and they will fix them if possible, but both of mine were too close to the sidewall of the tire. They fix them to the tire manufactorer's specifications too.

Discount tire's was considerably more expensive, but is a "free" replacement all the time. The catch is that you have to "renew" the warantee for $9 after getting the new tire.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by labman:

[qb] With Tire Rack's site to guide me, I think I will stick to off brand tires that run less with road hazard included than the name brands.

Be careful, I tried many different times to add a review on tire racks website and it would not allow me. They said they "may review my comments for future use".
I tried to leave good comments and bad comments on some tires But they would not register.
That website is not all it appears to be.

I do follow labmans policy on insurance comment.Its usually not worth it. I rather go play craps than have a slip of paper that says I can get a flat fixed for free.

Ditto on tire insurance not worth it. Having 20 tires including winter the issue of tire insurance becomes absurd.

Road Hazard warranty is never useful until it is too late and you kick yourself for not buying it.

Consider customer XYZ...buys 4 brand new American Racing AR95 wheels and 4 German imported Goodyear F1 GSD3 Ultra High Performance Tires.

One week later smacks a curb, and gets and unrepairable sidewall puncture.

Buy paying the 17.90$ Road Hazard fee initially he got a brand new 205/55/16 worth 174.99 for free.

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
Road Hazard warranty is never useful until it is too late and you kick yourself for not buying it.

Consider customer XYZ...buys 4 brand new American Racing AR95 wheels and 4 German imported Goodyear F1 GSD3 Ultra High Performance Tires.

One week later smacks a curb, and gets and unrepairable sidewall puncture.

Buy paying the 17.90$ Road Hazard fee initially he got a brand new 205/55/16 worth 174.99 for free.

I can see your point if you had more money in tires and wheels than my whole car. Then insurance may help but you do pay for pro rated use. But for the Average Joe driver spending $50 a tire then I dont see paying lets say a conservative $10 per tire on insurance. Thats 20 percent and stores would not push these warranties if it was not to their advantage. Stores are their to make money not offer us piece of mind, well they do but at a cost (insurance).

Road hazzard is different than tire warranty.

Tire Warranty covers defects.

Road Hazzard covers nails, punctures, curbs, and replaces the tire (prorated or 100% of cost) if it can not be repaired.

What did he buy?

Things worked out okay. He sent his dad down to get the tire replaced and the dealership sold him a 60 dollar warranty when they saw the damage. The tire was worth 120 bucks so he got it fixed for about half price.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back