Road Force Balance

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by Char Baby

You know which tire dealer I'm talking about. They're name is smeared on every Buffalo Bills backdrop during TV interviews.

I sure do... and the DT doesn't stand for discount tire given we have none of those around.

It's been many years since I've bought tires from them.

I started going to them in the early 80s and stopped in the mid 90s due to dissatisfaction. I thought I'd give'em another try with my daughters car & SILs SUV.
Both of those were very good experience but we bought the tires from them(AltiMaxRT43 for both). Mine were carry-ins.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK

You know which tire dealer I'm talking about. They're name is smeared on every Buffalo Bills backdrop during TV interviews.

I sure do... and the DT doesn't stand for discount tire given we have none of those around.

It's been many years since I've bought tires from them.

In my post earlier in the thread, I used the abbreviation "DT" but didn't know which place Char Baby was referring to...after googling the Bills's sponsors I realize Char referred to a DT that is different from the one I referred to!

Last edited:
Not Discount Tire. We don't have Discount Tire in our area but, I have purchased often from, Discount Tire Direct(online) and I do like buying tires from them very much. Usually with a Walmart install.

This time I decided to go back to another(closer to my home) tire store for my personal install(from my TireRack purchase) and to also buy tires for my daughter's car. And I went to this same tire store with my SIL when she needed tires. All 3 experiences were during the same week so these guys saw me a lot that week.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
But not so easy to find one accompanied by a operator with both the skill and willingness to put it to use, IME at least..

Mine as well. I have found that most techs simply use the 9700 as a spin balancer, and don't worry about RFB until a customer complains. And even then, they are often reluctant to break a bead and move a tire.

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
But not so easy to find one accompanied by a operator with both the skill and willingness to put it to use, IME at least..

Mine as well. I have found that most techs simply use the 9700 as a spin balancer, and don't worry about RFB until a customer complains. And even then, they are often reluctant to break a bead and move a tire.

The guy who did my RFB didn't have a problem needing the break the bead and rotate the tire. Keep in mind that it is extra cost to do so.

Originally Posted by gizzsdad

The guy who did my RFB didn't have a problem needing the break the bead and rotate the tire. Keep in mind that it is extra cost to do so.

I think that is totally understandable.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I am adding this story to my long list or reasons to hate low profile tires.

This is a problem with ALL tires, not just low profile tires.

Just had Pirelli P7 put on my car by an "alignment guy" with a Hunter 9700. One of them he needed to move on the rim and still only got it to a "21". But the car rides great now, super smooth, no vibes. Older guy with a shop in his backyard and great reviews online. Only $15 per tire to install, not including disposal... the bad news is he's retiring in a couple of years!

Char Baby, please update us on your claim with TR to pay the costs of your RFB? Will TR stand behind any tires they sell and take them back if they do not meet the normal 12 - 15# max road force?

Originally Posted by BlackMagicVarian
Char Baby, please update us on your claim with TR to pay the costs of your RFB? Will TR stand behind any tires they sell and take them back if they do not meet the normal 12 - 15# max road force?

Indeed!
I had the RFB($15/ea) done at my home. A guy came over and did everything on his truck. The equipment on his truck was amazing.

Although out of balance, 3 of the 4 tires were in spec for Road Force Match(RFM) however, 1 tire needed to be turned about 1/4 turn on the wheel which was extra money(extra $15) for that one tire. The total bill after NYS tax was $81 and the Tire Rack reimbursed me the full amount on my CC(verified).

Originally Posted by brages
Just had Pirelli P7 put on my car by an "alignment guy" with a Hunter 9700. One of them he needed to move on the rim and still only got it to a "21". But the car rides great now, super smooth, no vibes. Older guy with a shop in his backyard and great reviews online. Only $15 per tire to install, not including disposal... the bad news is he's retiring in a couple of years!

This was my exact situation with my P7's. However, all 4 tires were out of balance(AGAIN) even after my installer had done a rebalance on them.

To sum things up:
My installer, installed & balanced my P7's(from the TR) and I went on my way. The tires were out of balance so, I returned and the shop said, "all 4 tires are out of balance on the insides"...I blame the P7's(maybe the Tech too) as WE were there twice the week prior with my SIL's car(GMC Terrain) & my daughter's car(Honda Civic) for new tires and they're both fine. Both purchased AltiMAX RT43 in their respective sizes.

Finally:
After my installer's(2nd) rebalanced my P7's, things were only a tiny bit better and this is when I contacted the Tire Rack, who told me to have the P7's RFB'd...I did and all is well as stated above.

Last edited:
Back