RMI-25

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for, basically, testimonials. Please post only if you have DIRECT experience with this coolant additive. I read about RMI-25 on this site. I began using it in the first year of my 2012 Mazda3's life. The car came with FL22 coolant from the factory, which is supposed to be good for 122,000 miles. (Weird number, right?) The instructions for RMI-25 state to use and 8oz bottle for a four gallon cooling system every 15,000 miles. Since the Mazda has around two gallons capacity I add a half-bottle of RMI-25 every 15,000 miles. The stuff is milky and has a fluorescent green tinge to it. The coolant in the expansion tank looks super clean and has no residue or debris in it after 71,000 miles.

Now, the questions. I believe that using this additive it may be possible to never change the coolant. Has anyone done that? At the very least I would think that using it would extend the life of the coolant. Does anyone have any experience doing that? Since I started using it when the car was relatively new there was no scale or dirt in the system for the additive to clean and I'm not sure if RMI-25 is actually doing anything other than possibly maintaining pH or corrosion protection.

Long time user. But not like the instructions anymore. Because coolants have changed like everything else. Better, cleaner for longer. Back in the day I used it full time. Now I use a qt a month before changing the coolant. Its supposed to clean and coat radiator and system, lube the pump. I have never lost a water pump while using RMI-25. Can't say conclusively thats why. I do see the floating junk in the reservoir occasionally, not always on different vehicles I've owned over the years. Some small debris in the Escalade's Dexcool tank. The fluorescent green is for leak detection.

I added it to my Jeep. But that system was pretty clean.

At this point I am planning on adding it to my old Snowcat with a Ford 300 cu in engine when I get it running.

I would not use this product and never change the coolant.

I think its best to clean neglected systems.

If you want to extend log life coolants with the product, use coolant test strips to gauge the condition of the coolant. Be advised that coolant test strips end up being expensive as the shelf life is not long. You will only use a couple out of 25 before they expire.

Ford sells a product to "recharge" the coolant in my Powerstroke diesel if the test strip indicates it needs it.

So I think the RMI-25 is a valid product not snake oil, but not needed in a well maintained vehicle. But it has its uses.

Question for you guys that have used RMI-25: what is the appearance of the product?

Originally Posted By: JZiggy
Question for you guys that have used RMI-25: what is the appearance of the product?

I'll quote myself from the original post:

"The stuff is milky and has a fluorescent green tinge to it."

Sorry I didn't catch that. When you say "milky" do you mean it's cloudy or is it totally opaque?

Reason I ask is I bought a new bottle recently and it seems a lot more opaque than I remember it being.

The appearance of what I have been using since 2012 (I'm on my third bottle) is opaque. Looks almost like milk with some green antifreeze mixed in.

Originally Posted By: JZiggy
Okay, thanks for clarifying that! (Or opacifying that, I guess!)

Good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back