Rislone compatability

Originally Posted by MrQuackers
^^^I recently purchased a 32 ounce bottle at O'Reilly and it has same verbiage. The concentrate version is in the 16.9 ounce bottle.

According to the labeling, there's no difference in the 2 other than volume. The smaller pkg allows you to add it to the crankcase without fear of overfilling. It's one of the few products I'll put into my engine besides the lube, if it's warranted.

[Linked Image]

It's not the same. The word 'performance" in comparative manners, can be highly debated.
I've been comparing both since 1970, when I first used the 32oz. Then the Concentrate followed around 1990.
They sure haven't worked the same for me. If you see both on the same retailer store shelves, buy the 32.

Last edited:
Yeah you're probably right... here's the product description from the website. Sounds like one of those, "same but different" things..if that makes sense. Fwiw I've used both and they both seem to get the job done but like you, i first began with using the 32oz bottle years and years ago before the "concentrate" was even around.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I got spoiled by the 32. Now it's hard to find. I prefer Rislone to MMO in the engine. Where I like MMO is in the gas tank, using eight ounce treatments a couple times per year. After the winter - then again just prior to.

I can remember in the 70s using tranny fluid a few times in the gas tank. Wonder if any BITOGER's still do that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I got spoiled by the 32. Now it's hard to find....

I just picked some up at Advance Auto Parts, it's even on sale for $6.49 for the qt. bottle...

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I got spoiled by the 32. Now it's hard to find....

I just picked some up at Advance Auto Parts, it's even on sale for $6.49 for the qt. bottle...

True indeed ^^^^^^

I would rather ise the 32 oz size has well... Glad you mentioned it... I am going to get it tomorrow at AAP.

Guess the real question, and maybe impossible to answer, is which version (reg, conc, HiMi) cleans better/best? Or is it splitting hairs..🤔

I'm due to change the oil at the end of the month so I think I'm going to pick some up and run it. It's been a while and I haven't used the full version in some time. The last couple times I've used it has either been the concentrate or the HiMi concentrate.

Trying the Rislone High Mileage Formula in the Sedona in my signature - strat up is quitter after a couple of days and the engine sounds smoother ...lastly , my gosh does this Rislone formula smell good !! They should also market a men's cologne with the same scent !!

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Trying the Rislone High Mileage Formula in the Sedona in my signature - strat up is quitter after a couple of days and the engine sounds smoother ...lastly , my gosh does this Rislone formula smell good !! They should also market a men's cologne with the same scent !!

lol.gif
.. you gonna lather on that oily blue goodness real thick?

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

lol.gif

I don't know. You dump a bottle of goo into your engine and your strat is quitter? It must be the Veeblefetzer valve that got freed up? That'll do it.

Originally Posted by PimTac

lol.gif

I don't know. You dump a bottle of goo into your engine and your strat is quitter? It must be the Veeblefetzer valve that got freed up? That'll do it.

Yeah, that one practically took a Rosetta Stone to decipher.
lol.gif

*Err - I mean "start up" (lol !!)

lol.gif

*Err - I mean "start up" (lol !!)

lol.gif

No worries ðŸ‘

In my first and current Rislone experiment - the Sedona in my sig has used synthetic oil (SM -> SN -> D1/Gen1 -> D1 Gen 2 / SN+) most of it's whole life . After a week in the oil sump - the Rislone has quieted start up and the engine sounds over all smoother . Conversely , the dipstick shows little change in oil darkening which means either the Rislone cleans slowly OR the engine doesn't have much internal cleaning needed . I'll weigh in more after 3,000 miles .

In my first and current Rislone experiment - the Sedona in my sig has used synthetic oil (SM -> SN -> D1/Gen1 -> D1 Gen 2 / SN+) most of it's whole life . After a week in the oil sump - the Rislone has quieted start up and the engine sounds over all smoother . Conversely , the dipstick shows little change in oil darkening which means either the Rislone cleans slowly OR the engine doesn't have much internal cleaning needed . I'll weigh in more after 3,000 miles .

The product cleans slowly, so it might take a while to darken the oil. Or you might have nothing to clean. Either way quieting start up noise is a win.

There are extra detergents and esters in Rislone that will clean, if you indeed have a bona fide issue with sludge and deposits. However if you've been diligent about a) using a quality lube and b) changing your oil on time, then you likely have little to no sludge/deposits to begin with. So you might not notice a meaningful change in DS color (right off the bat) outside what is normal for you, if you don't have a big problem to begin with. But like demar' said, give it some time to see what develops. The active ingredients are slow acting and meant to be left in for a full drain interval so they can do their trick.

Last edited:
I am doing the 16.9 oz Rislone too. Picked up 2 bottles at Walmart, and some MMO. A neglected 06 Forester belonging to a family member has 169000 miles and its using oil, qt every ~1000 miles. Found the PCV valve gunked up with sludgy oil and condensation, not completely packed solid, but little rattle. Cleaned the valve and hoses with brake clean, probably never done, valve still had some crusty fitting sealer. Took awhile to get it to function normal. Baffle box was clean inside, couldn't see under baffle, but could blow through it. In went 5w30 Havoline conv. and Fram EG 6607. Changed power steering reservoir, and Fram Ultra air filter. Air Filter wasn't horrible, gray/black and moisture warped. Hopefully the oil usage decreases. Wonder how long I should keep this concoction in? Filter was a Valvoline, oil had at least a year on it, mileage unknown. Drained oil hot, black but decent because of all the new top ups. Perhaps oil consumption is due to no one changing it regularly and it was just shot. Engine was quiet before and after the maintenance.

Next time I'd use the Havoline HiMi in either syn blend or conventional..it doesn't matter and the prices are about the same in the 6qt box. The idea behind the HiMi is to maybe try and soften up and return the valve stem seals back to their original shape and size. At 169k (about where my engines at) there's a chance that the stem seals have hardened up and oil is being pulled down past the seal. The Rislone should go to work on trying to get the oil control ring to stand out more, limiting oil passing. Depending on the condition of the rings it may require a second treatment with the Rislone to take effect...or the rings could be totally FUBAR which case nothing you pour into the crankcase is gonna make a difference. Oh, and Rislone is meant to be left in for the full oci. Getting that PCV to work properly will help too.. maybe a new one is a better bet if the old one was all gunked up horribly. They're not that expensive from Rock Auto or Amazon.

Back