ripped strut boots, 08 matrix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

I was doing brakes on my 08 matrix last night.

Both strut boots are ripped really bad, basically falling apart.

The struts are good, the car rides fine.

A quick strut is about $125 for the fronts, and $90 for the rears, but the car only has 50k miles.

Is there such a part as a boot that buckles in the front, so that I can cut the old boot off with a razor, and just buckle a new one on?

I do not want to waste time taking the strut apart and putting a new boot on it. If I did that, I would just put a quick strut back in its place.

Thanks,
Justin

Are you talking about the dust boot at the top of the strut? The ones on our CR-V and MDX are both broken apart as well. I see it as a non-issue, especially on struts that have at or over 100k miles. Will the strut rod see more wear with a boot that's no longer intact, allowing more dirt to get in there? Maybe. But it's not worth worrying about to me. Besides, the boot is mostly intact when at normal ride height. It's only when you let the suspension fully rebound that the boot looks really bad (because it's stretched out).

Originally Posted By: 2009Edge
Strut boots can be replaced BUT it is a PIA to DIY but possible. I did one on mu Edge.

Sears has a spring compressor, use a power tool to compress, an hour maximum to install boots man.

I'd just leave it or totally take the boots off if they are rubbing on the shock shaft.
If you always drive through muddy puddles then it might be worth replacing them.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I'd just leave it or totally take the boots off if they are rubbing on the shock shaft.
If you always drive through muddy puddles then it might be worth replacing them.

+1
Unless the struts/shocks are leaking or worn out, you don't need to replace them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it.

When it comes time to replace, get a new strut from the dealer and a new boot.

Those pre-assembled struts sound great on paper, but in practice, they try too hard to consolidate applications. In situations where there should be multiple springs offerings for one model, they will end up using one spring - and someone will get the short-end of the stick.

In addition, the hardware quality varies.

Whenever possible, buy the OE strut and hardware. But for now, leave it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back