RIP Sergio Marchionne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was a bit perplexed when he dissed the 200 and Dart right after they were introduced, but guess he was ahead of the game--Mitsubishi and Ford followed right along into a mostly SUV world. Heard a prediction of $200-$400 barrel oil yesterday-- due partially to Iran going off line-- see how market timing into an all SUV world works if that occurs. Heard that many cars come across the Michigan-Ontario border a dozen times during build and weren't some FCA vehicles were being shipped back and forth between the US and Europe during construction? We'll see how all of this plays out in a high tariff world.

Thought FCA was a better over all deal than Daimler-Chrysler or the Cerberus(sp?) deal, if that means anything. Guess he did a pretty good job of turning the whole mess around at a time when no one else wanted Chrysler thanks to Ram and Jeep.

Thought he was keying things up to sell the whole deal off to HyunKia-- sorry he didn't get a chance to enjoy retirement. RIP SM.

I didn't know he dissed the dart. When I was in the market 3 years ago I test drove one and it was a terrible car - likely worse than the neon the engine in my sample was good though. Yes that platform in that incarnation that bad. And I drove a sportier model.

Originally Posted By: csandste
Was a bit perplexed when he dissed the 200 and Dart right after they were introduced, but guess he was ahead of the game--Mitsubishi and Ford followed right along into a mostly SUV world. Heard a prediction of $200-$400 barrel oil yesterday-- due partially to Iran going off line-- see how market timing into an all SUV world works if that occurs. Heard that many cars come across the Michigan-Ontario border a dozen times during build and weren't some FCA vehicles were being shipped back and forth between the US and Europe during construction? We'll see how all of this plays out in a high tariff world.

The bulls are wrong — here's why oil could plummet to $45: Citi's top oil forecaster

Financial Post -- CALGARY – The oil price rebound that has buoyed many embattled crude producers may not last.

Ed Morse managing director and global head of commodities research at Wall Street bank Citigroup Inc. and one of the world’s top oil forecasters believes Brent oil prices – which are currently trading near US$72.50 per barrel and have tried to breach the US$80 per barrel barrier in each of the last three months – will fall back into a band between US$45 to US$65 per barrel in just over a year.

“We think oil is headed back to that range by the end of 2019."

Originally Posted By: John_K

The bulls are wrong — here's why oil could plummet to $45: Citi's top oil forecaster

Financial Post -- CALGARY – The oil price rebound that has buoyed many embattled crude producers may not last.

Ed Morse managing director and global head of commodities research at Wall Street bank Citigroup Inc. and one of the world’s top oil forecasters believes Brent oil prices – which are currently trading near US$72.50 per barrel and have tried to breach the US$80 per barrel barrier in each of the last three months – will fall back into a band between US$45 to US$65 per barrel in just over a year.

“We think oil is headed back to that range by the end of 2019."

It should be interesting. I recall when oil was below $50/barrel there were some pretty bright Wall Street guys saying it would never see $50 again. Then they raised to it $60 to save face. I found that comical. Time will tell, I'd love to see gas in the $2/gallon range again.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I didn't know he dissed the dart. When I was in the market 3 years ago I test drove one and it was a terrible car - likely worse than the neon the engine in my sample was good though. Yes that platform in that incarnation that bad. And I drove a sportier model.

My wife had a Dart and I don't agree with this assessment at all. I drove it a number of times and it was light years beyond the Neon. That's not to say that it was competitive with Honda and Mazda, but it wasn't nearly as bad as you say. My biggest bone to pick was that it was extremely small inside - it was a compact with subcompact interior dimensions, IMO.

She needed a bigger car, which is why she got the Outlander in my signature, another vehicle that is dissed compared to it's competitors, but is actually a decent vehicle. You can get it a lot cheaper than a CR-V or Rav4 similarly equipped if you are a competent negotiator.

Thought FCA was a better over all deal than Daimler-Chrysler or the Cerberus(sp?) deal, if that means anything. Guess he did a pretty good job of turning the whole mess around at a time when no one else wanted Chrysler thanks to Ram and Jeep.

Thought he was keying things up to sell the whole deal off to HyunKia-- sorry he didn't get a chance to enjoy retirement. RIP SM.

Too much melodrama.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Originally Posted By: Icecube
Sergio Marchionne, hailed for Chrysler and Fiat turnarounds, dead at 66

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/sergio-marchionne-fiat-chrysler-has-died-1.4760654
---------------------------
Thumb typed on my iPad

To bad, it is a loss for all of us. Whether we liked his opinions or style, he was a dynamic leader in a tough industry. Prayers sent ...

I agree. While I’m not a fan of Fiat, Marchionne had a very tough road to hoe after Daimler and Cerberus left the company in financial tatters.

“He let his real satisfaction show during the June 2018 presentation when he announced the company had reached zero debt, by donning a necktie for the first time in a decade — albeit briefly.”

This is a man filled with class and the above statement indicates his ability to fill the CEO chair.
RIP Sergio, and Godspeed.

Sad news for a man in the auto industry who was ahead of his time in many ways. Anyone who could save the Fiat and Alfa Romeo brands manufactured in a country where union workers have short work years and get ridiculous benefits is nothing short of a genius. That's not too mention the improvements he made to Chrysler and Dodge.

The guy contributed plenty to the worldwide automotive scene and should go down in automotive history as a giant of his time.

Very sad. A chain smoker who died of complications of surgery for a shoulder sarcoma that it appeared he ignored for some time. That sounds like Marchionne.

I worked for Chrysler in the K-car years and hadn't heard much about Iacocca in some time. I was surprised that Lee Iacocca is still alive at almost 94.

Never paid much attention to what was happening with the Fiat Chrysler merger and other FCA happenings. All I know is under Sergio M's leadership, FCA has produced some of the most awesome performance cars the world has ever known and at a bargain price. That is good enough for me. However, I hated to see the Viper go. Hopefully the future leadership will keep muscle cars going.

"The Italians are coming, The Italians are coming." And what showed up? The Fiat 500 POP. Didn't I read in CR that the Fiat has one o the worst reliability records of anything on the road?

I'm not a Mopar guy - but I will say that Sergio did one heck of a job bringing back Chrysler from the brink. He was like Lee Iacocca in some ways but with Mopar's muscle-heavy lineup, he was certainly a true car person but even their more plebian stuff got nice quality updates.

He had the vision to create a company to rival the VW Group with brands that cover all the price points, at a time when the economy is at the most challenging time.

Don't listen to the Wall Street MBAs.
A barrel of oil is far more likely to fall to $40-$50 than it is to hit $150-$200.
Future technologies will hurt oil prices.

I have two FCA vehicles which are vastly improved and a pleasure to own and drive, over what those models were 20 years ago, I believe mostly due to Sergio's guidance.

RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back